Axle bearings: how to tell if replacement needed

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
I've pulled my axles on my 8 3/4 489 case because the rear end needs repair.
How can I tell if my axle bearings need replacement.
They seem a lil sloppy ( original tapered style)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 219
Basically you are looking for any side movement and when you rotate the bearing see if it rotates smoothly or if it feels like it has grit in it, or fetches when you spin it.

While you have them out and if they seem good, I would clean them and repack them. They do not get lubricated from the rear gear oil.

You will need a needle for a grease gun to get the grease in them.

They require a bit of pressure (race against the rollers) to take the slop out that you are seeing, it's called bearing preload.

You have the tapered Timkens (originals) These are in some ways easier, some ways more difficult.

You WILL have play as when they are apart, there is nothing to "hold them together."

What you are looking for OUT of the car is rust, contamination and dirt, and obvious wear, roughness. These have an inner and outer seal, so they are packed with grease just like a front wheel bearing

The adjustment procedure is in all of the factory manuals.............

You can download them here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Thanks guys. This is one area in my mechanical skills I don't know a lot about.
With the axles out the outer Bearing shell/ring jiggles around. But is that because there's no pressure on it??..... Hard to explain, hopefully you guys understand what I'm saying

Yes, there is nothing holding them against each other right now. If you get them together, then they should rotate silky smooth all around. If you feel any small bumping or irregularities while rotating them together, then replace them. Too much work to get out and set up later to take a chance, IMO.

Get something name brand like Timkens if you can.

If you re-use, clean them in gas or kerosene or something similar, and blow them out or tap them out on something like a piece of wood to get any hardened grease out.

You can use a needle to get the grease into the bearing after cleaning, or use a bearing packer, or hand pack them with the right technique.

Like front spindle bearings, when they are washed well you can find look angles that let you see the inner race. All the finishes should be very smooth and shinny, races, rollers too. If they look questionable, there are.
Please do not forget to pack those bearings with grease at reassemble. You can't depend on gear oil to get there before damage begins. I've seen the bearings on large trucks fail before the truck got out the shop door. While your car doesn't compare to the heavy load on those dump truck bearings the principle still applies.

I just checked them and they seem nice and smooth. Probably need a good cleaning and new grease tho. Can this be done with them still on the axles.
Sorry abouth the confusion earlier. Once I put pressure against the bearing ( pushed the outer sleeve/ring towards the axle flange) the jiggle went away.

If I can clean them and grease them, while still on axles, what's the best way.
Thanks again guys!!

If I can clean them and grease them, while still on axles, what's the best way.

Thanks again guys!!

You musta missed my post above, lol.

They make a needle that you can get for your grease gun, then you can shoot the grease right into the bearing, pull the race up and rotate then shoot some more in there. Once you're satisfied they are well packed, bag them until you are ready to reinstall.

Like I said above, be sure and get as much as you can into them because that is the only lubrication they get. The gear oil doesn't make it out to them.

While you have it apart make sure to peek in at your axle seals too.

They will "tell you" when they are going bad.

You'll hear or even feel a howl or slight grind.

Also possibly they could be discolored, usually blue or black in an odd pattern, or have round spots, in a kind of line, starting small and getting larger, then smaller again.

-
Back