Axle Swap??

-

greg r

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to Mopar, please bear with me.

I have a 65 Dart GT with a 273 V8, 904 auto, with a 7.25 diff 2.93:1 ratio.

The diff needs an overhaul, and I figure this would be a good time to go from open to limited slip. A Shure-grip,(Powr-Lok?) is impossible to find at least for this diff. I've run across some other Mopar enthusiasts who recommended that the 7.25 diff is a little weak for the V8 package; that I would be better off with an 8.25 or bigger. The wheel ends are 5 on 4. I'd like to try to stay with that as I have Cragar mags, I don't really want to lay out more cash for new mags and front and rear will have to match to boot.

What should I look for when I go axle shopping? Year? Model? type of thing or where axle options for the Dart varied?

Here's a picture:

Thank you to all.

Attachments

• Dart.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 117
you can look for an 8 3/4 out of an a-body... that would have the proper bolt pattern.

An A-body 8 3/4 will be a bolt in,like said.Do you have the trunion driveshaft?I have a driveshaft from my 66 Dart 410/904/8 3/4 with the 7260/7290 crossover u-joints that will bolt right in to the 904/8 3/4.It,s new and has been balanced.If your interested after you do the 8 3/4 swap PM me.:D

That's the way I would go.....straight bolt-in using factory parts.

I second this advice
another option is to just replace the bad 7-1/4 rear with a good used one,
often times people give them away for free, and you will not need to replace or shorten the driveshaft, or replace your shock plates,
the stock 7-1/4 rear is fine for a daily driver, even with a stock 273 or 318, there are plenty of 40+ year old cars driving around with a 7-1/4", mine included, they are fine unless you are racing or really beat on your car,

-
Back