Axles 8.25" rear from 1974 Dart

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
Is there a compatible axle from any other car, jeep, or truck?

8.25" 10 bolt rear shur grip 391 from a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger.

Looked all over google, here and auto parts places. Found lists online of compatible cars and trucks, but have had no luck (too long, wrong spline ect ect..)

Yea another a body axle shaft (if that's what you're looking for). That said if you go to the junkyard and look for a 96 and older Jeep GC that has rear disc brakes. You can remove them from the jeep and bolt it directly to the A body rear axle. Enjoy!

Any grand Cherokee setup would be wider. Maybe not a ton but a lot like using a b-body rear in an a-body. You would need skinny rear tires, high offset rims, or jack the back and let em stick out.

Any grand Cherokee setup would be wider. Maybe not a ton but a lot like using a b-body rear in an a-body. You would need skinny rear tires, high offset rims, or jack the back and let em stick out.

I think he's talking about the axle shaft's with brakes not the housing ?

I really just need the axle shaft, mines roached, previous owner let the bearing wear a rut into the shaft.

Thanks for the links, 234 miles to Ft Smith, 224 miles to pasadena, lol was hoping not to have to wait on shipping. Travel through Texas would be MUCH easier, that area of Arkansas doesn't know what a straight road is. Cool cruising, bad traveling

Sweet! Thanks so much for that info on Jeep brakes! Hated those clunky old drums and this was the only "bolt on" that was actually bolt on. Fits perfectly except center hole that fits axle had to be ground out about 1 mm. Other than that the easiest upgrade i've done.

BTW the axle bearing is apparently the weakest link on these axles. They even make a bearing / seal combo for this exact problem. It will fit over the rut worn in and according to hemmings news makes this axle as good as any.

-
Back