B Body cars

-

ir3333

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a B body
Compared to an A body..pros / cons.
i'm not a racer...your thoughts?

Many like the B's better than our A-bodies and the E's even more.
Really they are all built about the same and are comparable.
A longer, heavier car will naturally have a better ride.
I've enjoyed having the chargers and cuda's but settled in comfortably with the 68 barracuda as my favourite. It just a preference thing though. They are all good.

since the mid 80's I have had bout all. started with 70 E bodies. sexy looking, considered the top models to have. none of these old cars are perfect nor meant to last 50 years! cars are high, used parts high, most repop parts for them than any models, list can get long.
then I went to 68-70 B bodies. then Early B bodies. had a few A and 71-3 B bodies long the way.
been with the A bodies only for bout last 10 years ( except 2 71 B bodies ! ha)....
I miss a big block B body car, so month ago I hauled home a cheap 66 Bel 1 ( post car), slant. it will get the big block, transplant. will be just a fun driver like the 66 post coronet I did same build to 15 years ago, ( and hit a patch of lose gravel and rolled it).
the B body is yes heavier, they are pretty well engineered cars, ride good ( to me). lots of good and bad things I can say bout them. all these cars will rust, the 68-70 truck will leak NO matter what you do. they all will rust in the usual spots, I really prefer an Early B body. but a decent one is harder to find, and some parts for the early B is hard to find or somewhat expensive.
B bodies will cost more generally than the ave A body. some models like 68-70 chargers will be pricey. real 68- 70 runners and bees are not cheap. decent bang for the buck, can be 66-7 b bodies.
you will no doubt find plenty of guys on FABO that have, or had, or would like to have a B body.
tell me which models you are lusting for, and I and the rest of the gang will no doubt, give our opinions!!!!

Since B bodies are a little heavier, they need more than a 318 to get them moving, 340/360 minimum or big block....

tell me which models you are lusting for, and I and the rest of the gang will no doubt, give our opinions!!!![/QUOTE]

..i am partial to '68 - '69 Satellite,Belvedere,GTX & RR

B body's are nice. Here is one I restored, and sold a few years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_4020.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_4069.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 292
B body's are nice. Here is one I restored, and sold a few years ago.

having had 5 b bodies in the past, I can saely say , I think the 66-7 belvedere,satellite, gtx cars were the stiffest and best built of any mopars I`ve owned. now have my second 68 barracuda. my new one back in 68 didn`t compare to the way the 66-7 belvederes were built. jmo

just found some info that surprised me on 1969 Satellite weights.
a warm sm blk would be fine for all but the drag racers

6 cyl 3006 lbs
318 v8 3155 lbs
426 hemi 3800 lbs

383 and 440 weights were not included but with 8 3/4,
heavier suspension,brakes,rad,engine,transmission etc probably about 3400 - 3500 lbs?

for years the 68-9 runner were my hands down favorite. love the 383 in a 4 speed. in 69 that was the "pinnacle" year IMO for it. prod was huge. 90,000 ??? if I remember. popular back then and still now. I have also had more than several 440 GTX, 69 coronet RT s, I 69 hemi X. for me I get the most fun for the buck with a 383 4 speed , 3.55 or 3.91 gear, good old 8 3/4,
good suspension, rode good, year somewhat big by todays standards, probably not near as heavy as a modern Chally!??????
and I agree the 66-7 b body is tighter and somewhat a better built car. they have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. I just hauled home a cheap 67 bel 1 for a BB transplant. been lusting for one! ha

bad points: the runner was a BARE car in 68-9... that was the idea.. bare. cheapest, lightest B body with a good runnin 383. BARE. basic interior, taxi cab type. I love it!! cost new back then around $2800.
rust: all these old cars are 45 -50 yrs old. that 68-70 b body's trunk will leak water,rust out, watch the mounting pt for the rear springs,, if anyone has figured out how to seal, PLEASE let me know. a design flaw the factory didn't, couldn't?? fix. most of these project cars will need a trunk floor, extensions, int floor, at least some lower qtr patches. i'm sure the guys out in the dry desert has few rust in these ?? the guys back East might encounter some rocker and lower front fender rust. east guys could easily have frame rust like any model. one place these always seem to rust in under the hood hinges. so goes the world of old car restorations!
back in the 90's I could find a complete running 68 or 9 383 runner for $1000 or less. yes it needed a total resto. as the market started its second rise, got to where $3500 was the tag. that's when I went to early B bodies. Ha

as with any of these cars, best to pay more for a better (project) example. or find one someone else has put the work and $$$ in and wants to sell, and ya maybe get a good price on it. I really don't keep up with what a nice restored example brings now.

just found some info that surprised me on 1969 Satellite weights.
a warm sm blk would be fine for all but the drag racers

6 cyl 3006 lbs
318 v8 3155 lbs
426 hemi 3800 lbs

These have to be non P/S, P/B, A/C cars? I have a '79 Dodge Magnum that has it all except the moon roof or T top that weighs in @ 3675. 318 equipped from the factory, 904/8-1/4.
Now it is a 360/727/9-1/4. (3.55's)
(The '00, 5.9 powers it well.)

Here's a few that I Have had.-- I'm partial to 2 Door Post Cars. -- The white 65 Coronet was my favorite. Mild 440 Auto - 12.52 @108 and on the street every day. ---- Forget the Fiero - Picture was attached in file. -- The 68 Dart was a 500 incher. -- All are gone - Recently into A Bodies.

Attachments

• File34.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 251
  • File19.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 284
  • File79.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 239
  • File77.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 249
  • File123.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 235
  • File10.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 255
  • File18.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 254
Here's a few that I Have had.-- I'm partial to 2 Door Post Cars. -- The white 65 Coronet was my favorite. Mild 440 Auto - 12.52 @108 and on the street every day. ---- Forget the Fiero - Picture was attached in file. -- The 68 Dart was a 500 incher. -- All are gone - Recently into A Bodies.

yes!! 63-67....... the hardtop is s exy, the posts ca just scream cool!!!! to me..... love em. must be why I drug home that 62 Lancer 2 door post car!??? and that 67 bel 1 other day!
o k i'm sick and need help!

yes!! 63-67....... the hardtop is s exy, the posts ca just scream cool!!!! to me..... love em. must be why I drug home that 62 Lancer 2 door post car!??? and that 67 bel 1 other day!
o k i'm sick and need help!
-- You might have this. --

Attachments

• Car Pox.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 208
I had a '67 Belvedere II that was an original 383/727 car and I swapped a mildly built 440 and 23 spline 833 into the car. I really like the B-body cars, but they've gotten out of my price range in the last few years.

Get a '75 plus year. A Magnum still sells inexpensively.

I had a '67 Belvedere II that was an original 383/727 car and I swapped a mildly built 440 and 23 spline 833 into the car. I really like the B-body cars, but they've gotten out of my price range in the last few years.

I agree the roadrunners and chargers , finding a decent project I s hard and too many $$$ for what you are buying. 66-7 and sometimes early B project can be had rolling for $1000-1500. you will pay that for comparable early A body or even some 70 up A cars..

I figure it basically costs no more to restore an A body or B body. the costs of body/paont, interior, suspension, eng/trans rebuilds etc......... bout the same!

best way to find projects is joi your local Mopar or car club and network, if your buddy is into,say E bodies,and has no interest in anything else,, and HIS buddy has a B or A body for sale at good price..... there ya go!

You'll never be happy with a 318 in a B body, it's about the same as a slant 6 in an A body! You need at least 383 power!! I've had many B bodies over the years, and currently have a 67 GTX, which is the smoothest riding car I've owned! It's also got power to spare, and can haul 5 people and still do one heck of a burnout!!! Currently considering a trade with a local fellow for his 69 Roadrunner!! IMO, anything 68-70 in a B body is overpriced by a ton, but will hold its value when if you decide to sell!! Buy what you like and you'll never have to worry about that tho!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 189
I disagree on needing more than a 318.

Wanting more, maybe...

I've had three 66/67 Coronets with a 318, all did just fine and were capable of beating gm 350 intermediates on the street.

I currently have a 73 Satellite with a 318. JY scale weighed it at 3700, and it's a "stripper" with no carpet from the factory and very little chrome. It does have PS/PB/AC, though.

That car also does just fine. Not gonna win many races nowadays but 0-60 is fine and highway speed is also just fine.

Have owned a number of "B"s over the years, including a 68 hemi Roadrunner that I bought new. Love 'em. IMO no cons at all.

I have a 69 and 70 GTX and I also have a 68 coronet wagon. I don't get as excited about them as I do my A-bodies.

A-bodies (Normal A-bodies 67-76) are really popular now. E and B had their crazes and they used to be worth crazy money but now a lot of the hype is gone.

B-bodies are a lot bigger than A's and that is where the A has the advantage. A-bodies also have a nice smooth ride.

B-bodies have a huge aftermarket following so parts are readily available.

lets face it, the smaller A body seems to fit into todays world of smaller cars. us OLDER folk, had the B bodies back when new or almost, and they we MID sized cars back then ,,, not land boats! I've hard plenty of all cars and I will say the road ride of a heavier car tends to be better than a lighter one, BUT a tight suspension will make any of them ride nice. I do love the A body in many respects, and the B body for their attributes too.
interest in our A bodies and like Miss Rainey stated , the 67- 72 cars are the general favorite, has become huge in recent times. why? they were basically an untapped car resource. plentiful and cheap. in general the majority of people getting into the hobby went after B and E cars. if could not find an affordable E car, the B body was generally the next step. the A cars were not necessarily usually on these guys radar. and everything in life runs a cycle, the beef market, real estate market, old car market. what model in popular the most today may not be that tomorrow. remember when bout NO ONE wanted a MOPAR!????? I do.
look at the traffic on FABO compared to FBBO. yes I am member of both, and enjoy both sires, but wow this site here is active. not just due to the enjoyable and helpful members, but because the sheer number of our cars being found , worked on and enjoyed?
aftermarket help will draw some people toward models that have the aftermarket's attention. just release were FULL quarters for 68-9 Plymouth b body..... try looking for some good patch panels for a 66-7 ply b body!??? ha but sooner or later, the aftermarket people will see the sheer numbers of A bodies being rebuilt and offer more for them??????
if Rainey was 6 foot tall she would see more good in her B bodies!!!??? ha

-
Back