b-body rearend in a-body

-

tguss

Reaction score
what all i need to do to install a bbody rearend in a abody ? will it work? i know drive shaft will need cut, could i just put in in and spread springs 1/2 inch on each side for perch ???

Others that have done it will chime in however I do believe that the best fit is a 66-67 B body rear. Bolts right in I'm told. Again just sharing that nugget of info.

Good luck....I'm sure others will chime in. As far as driveshaft I. Not 100% sure.

I know someone else interested in the answer to this question....

It depends what A body you put it in. If a Scamp, Dart etc you will need deep backspacing to clear your outer fender if running wider tires. If it's a Duster, Dart Sport it works fine. I put a B body rear in my Dart Sport, I moved the perches in 1/2" on each side, some will say just pull the springs out and bolt it, I chose not to, but it will work. You will need the driveshaft cut and rebalanced.

Here is what it looks like with stock Rallye wheels.

Attachments

• B Body Rear.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 409
X2 on everything said above. I'm about to do it on a 73 Dart. The B body perches are 44 inches, the A body 43. That's 1/2 inch on each side. If you want to spread your springs, it will bolt in. If you want to move the perches to make it perfect, you can do that.

The 65-67 housing is slightly narrower but it's in fractions of an inch. (it's still nice to have) The perches are 44 inches from 65-70.

I once saw a TSB that said with the new disc brakes, the later A bodies had a wider track on the front than the back. The b body rear will correct that :)

On the driveshaft: If you could find one from the same body style that had your transmission and an 8 3/4 rear it would work. (for example a shaft from a stock 340 Duster with a 727 trans and an A body 8 3/4 rear would work for a Duster/Demon body style if you were running a 727 and a B body 8 3/4). The a body 8 3/4 and B body 8 3/4 are the same length with relation to the position of the rearend yoke.

Here's a good magazine article on the swap: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...404_8_3_4_rear_axle_housing_swap/viewall.html

im working on a 68 valiant switching out the 273 with a mild 360 ,rearend is a 7 1/4 and i know ill need something better. thanks for all the info

I have detailed pics of this in my build thread. I's not hard at all to move the perches in a half inch on each side. ( '74 dart Sport with a '69 b body rear end)
I'm very happy with how it turned out.

easy breasy, don't leave perches on b-body untouched-destroys the shackle bushings, don't drive much take longer, drive alot will be destroyed in no time, correcting my brothers rear now after leaving the stock b rear with factory perches-in process of correcting now.

im working on a 68 valiant switching out the 273 with a mild 360 ,rearend is a 7 1/4 and i know ill need something better. thanks for all the info

On a 68 Valiant the B rear is going to be pretty wide, same for Darts. Not a deal breaker, but you're going to need some pretty significant backspacing to make it work, on the order of 6" or so for an 8" wide rim. If you're planning on running modern rims, that won't be a problem, a lot of the 17 and 18" rims have that much backspacing (ie, mustang rims). If you want to run stock style rims, you'll have a hard time finding something with that much backspace unless you have it made.

On a 68 Valiant the B rear is going to be pretty wide, same for Darts. Not a deal breaker, but you're going to need some pretty significant backspacing to make it work, on the order of 6" or so for an 8" wide rim. If you're planning on running modern rims, that won't be a problem, a lot of the 17 and 18" rims have that much backspacing (ie, mustang rims). If you want to run stock style rims, you'll have a hard time finding something with that much backspace unless you have it made.
Having mine made now. 15 x 7 with 5" backspacing, the max I could get for a steel rim. On a 72 dart with 69 B body rear end.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216585

Having mine made now. 15 x 7 with 5" backspacing, the max I could get for a steel rim. On a 72 dart with 69 B body rear end.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216585

Did you want to go with a 7" rim, or was that part of getting it to fit with that backspace?

Either way, if I really wanted to run 15x whatever stock rims, I don't think I'd go the B body rear end route. By the time you've bought the B rear, moved the perches, and had custom backspace rims made up, you probably could have bought an A body rear end.

Now, if you want to throw a set of 17 or 18" Mustang Bullit rims on there, the B rear is the way to go...

I bought a 64 Valiant that had an early (63 or 64) B-Body 8 3/4 rear end in it. The guy told me all he did was put off-set rear shackles on it. Nothing was done to the perches or front spring hangers. This meant that the biggest tires that I could get under the rear were 205/70-R14's mounted on 1976 Volare Magnum 500 rims. I think I had 195's on the front.

I drove it for years and had no problems with it. Wish I never got rid of it. I'll have to look for a picture of it.

Mine was a daily driver for three and a haf years 40 miles round trip each day plus LOTS of 50, and 100 mile excursions. I didn't move the perches, never had a problem.

Mine was a daily driver for three and a haf years 40 miles round trip each day plus LOTS of 50, and 100 mile excursions. I didn't move the perches, never had a problem.

Kinda makes you wonder why Ma Mopar never did it that way. I'm betting the spring bushings are worn badly.

Did you want to go with a 7" rim, or was that part of getting it to fit with that backspace?
Well I wanted 15 x 8 but don't have enough clearence for that wide a tire. Don't want any rubbing while turning. Oh, and I have a 67 rear not a 69.:error:

-
Back