B&M 2800 Stall torque converter?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
when i bought my dart, it already had a built 318 in it. now i'm about ready to install my brand new TCI streetfighter 727 tranny. i have a B&M 2800 stall converter and flex plate that'll bolt up to my 318.

since i have no idea what kind of camshaft i have, would you guys reccomend that i do or don't use this torque converter?

also would anybody happen to know where i could get transmission mounts for a 67 dart? so far, everywhere that i've seen sells every year mounts except for 67. so i'm guessing that the mounts that i'll need are going to be different from the others in someway..

do you know what gears you have?also at what rpm does your car feel like it starts making power?

i should have included that. i'm runnin a 8.75 posi with 3.23 gears.

and i have no idea. about 20 mins after buying the car, the dam transmission gave out. so i have never actually been able to tell yet.

i already have the torque converter though, and its in great shape. so i figured i could save some $$ by using this one.

i just don't know whether its a good idea or not?

2800 is a little much IMO for 323 gears.sorry cant point you in the right direction for the tranny mount.so does the car have a rupity rump idle,or is it relatively stock?

I'm running a 3,000 stall with 3:55 gears and have no trouble at all. There are 2 designs of converters. "Loose" design (slips easily) converters are race type converters and they wouldn't work good with those gears. "Tight" design (don't slip much until you nail the gas) converters are more street friendly converters that will work fine with your gears and I believe the B&M is a "tight" design. I think you should be fine with that converter.

Sorry I have no insight on the mount.

2800 is a little much IMO for 323 gears.sorry cant point you in the right direction for the tranny mount.so does the car have a rupity rump idle,or is it relatively stock?

gosh, its sort of hard to remember. for the 5 minutes that i drove it i know it was VERY loud. but this is because it had about 3 ft. of pipe coming from the headers with no mufflers.

it wasn't a choppy idle though from what i remember.

well ...try it.if it does not work well you can always swap it out,and 68 seems to think it will work.

without actually knowing what cam you have im speculating.i was typing my last post i think while you were typing as well,hence i posted before i read that it was a 2400 stall,and not a 2800.it should work pretty well for a 318 with a mild cam and a 4bbl.it should also work with your gears....id go for it.

If it wasn't a choppy idle you don't need much stall. That should work just fine.

BTW: A higher stall converter will help low end torque. Not hurt it. That's why you use them with large cams because big cams don't produce good low end torque.

If it wasn't a choppy idle you don't need much stall. That should work just fine.

BTW: A higher stall converter will help low end torque. Not hurt it. That's why you use them with large cams because big cams don't produce good low end torque.

i knew that. i'm just getting confused with cam/ torque converter combos.
thanks though.

i hope that this B&M works for me. i guess we will see!

You might have balance problems with that converter, or even the pilot hub on the crankshaft might not fit. The spline count on the input shaft might be different too. Make sure you check all of these first.
Good luck!

sorry, i haven't yet. been soo busy with my classes this semester in college, and working, that i haven't had to much time for my baby(the dart).

i am finally getting stuff done though this past week!
so i should have the rear end and tranny all in within a few weeks hopefully. as my schedule allows.

will update this posting as soon as i finally do it though.

DQ81, do you know what cam you have in your 318? if you know what cam you have, you should be able to pick a suitable torque converter. i wish i knew what cam i had. but from everything that i've read and researched, my 2400 stall converter should overall work fine with my setup. if not, i might eventually swap cams if i'm not happy.

sorry, i haven't yet. been soo busy with my classes this semester in college, and working, that i haven't had to much time for my baby(the dart).

i am finally getting stuff done though this past week!
so i should have the rear end and tranny all in within a few weeks hopefully. as my schedule allows.

will update this posting as soon as i finally do it though.

DQ81, do you know what cam you have in your 318? if you know what cam you have, you should be able to pick a suitable torque converter. i wish i knew wat cam i had. but from everything that i've read and researched, my 2800 stall converter should overall work fine with my setup. if not, i might eventually swap cams if i'm not happy
You mean your 2400 stall?Right?

-
Back