B series heads?

-
FWIW, and few will remember, the outlier one had to be aware of. That's the '68-'69 RR 383 with the + deck. I couldn't put 915s with steel shim gaskets on my '68 way back so I had a valve job done on the 906s.

Not sure what problem you had, but the only 383 block that was a tall deck was in 1959 or so. 915s go just fine on any 383 block given the correct intake.

Not sure what problem you had, but the only 383 block that was a tall deck was in 1959 or so. 915s go just fine on any 383 block given the correct intake.

Hence I say "few will remember".

upload_2022-3-29_15-33-32.png

Did your 383 actually have pistons above the deck? I've had several 68-69's that all came up short of even being at zero deck.

Hi jacking here but still asking questions along this line. I was wondering myself as well and was also wondering about the aftermarket aluminum offerings as far as the difference between one seating special offset rockers and ones that could you just use Factory rockers?..
Jpar, about the only heads that need the hi buck offset rockers are the victors, speedmaster Victor copies, indy 440-1, and B-1s ( and badder yet race heads)
From trickflows on down, (stealth,, promaxx, rpm) stock or non-offset rockers will work, depending on camshaft.
Still, if your buying something, I'd make sure about the rockers first.
(I've got a pair of victors, if I don't use speedmaster garbage, the rockers will cost more than the heads....)

Did your 383 actually have pistons above the deck?...........

FWIW, I traded in my '66 Sport Fury (also a 383) for the '68 RR in '75. What I recall, when I pulled the heads and scraped the deck by hand out in Dad's driveway, I could hang up the scraper on piston tops and had to rotate the crank to clear them. I can't tell you actual dimensions. However, it's something you don't forget when it's your first time doing it.
I don't know if the engine had been modified prior to my ownership. I doubt it was.

BTW, I also recall that engine being painted orange, not turquoise. That in itself tends to raise the eyebrows.

One thing I've learned about Chrysler products over the years is to never say never.......

My '69 383 Barracuda S came with 9" drum brakes on the front.

I've been told the "all 440 '72 RRs were badged GTX"... mine was not.

A lot of folks have never seen or even know a marine 440 six pack carb setup to exist.

And I can guarantee there is plenty more I don't know.

FWIW, I traded in my '66 Sport Fury (also a 383) for the '68 RR in '75. What I recall, when I pulled the heads and scraped the deck by hand out in Dad's driveway, I could hang up the scraper on piston tops and had to rotate the crank to clear them. I can't tell you actual dimensions. However, it's something you don't forget when it's your first time doing it.
I don't know if the engine had been modified prior to my ownership. I doubt it was.

BTW, I also recall that engine being painted orange, not turquoise. That in itself tends to raise the eyebrows.

One thing I've learned about Chrysler products over the years is to never say never.......

My '69 383 Barracuda S came with 9" drum brakes on the front.

I've been told the "all 440 '72 RRs were badged GTX"... mine was not.

A lot of folks have never seen or even know a marine 440 six pack carb setup to exist.

And I can guarantee there is plenty more I don't know.
"......scraped the deck by hand out in Dad's driveway,....."

These are the stories I love.

True enough. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some of the pistons were above on one end of the bank, and below on the other.

They went to a taller compression height to compensate for the 906 open chamber heads. Thats why when you put 67 heads on a 68/69 motor you raise your compression almost a point. Forget NHRA specs. Thats the maximum allowable for stock competition.

I’m just now going into the world of big blocks as I prepare for my first motor build. I have 383 and am on the path right now to figure out what heads to use. I currently have a set of 452 but want to use my vintage DP4B manifold and I know the 452 are for a RB. Now I feel a bit dumb but are 516 the only low deck heads or are the 916 or 905 Also?
The b and rb share the same heads.
The blocks are taller for rb's which is why it needs a wider manifold... which is probably been posted six or seven times by now

-
Back