B series heads?

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
I’m just now going into the world of big blocks as I prepare for my first motor build. I have 383 and am on the path right now to figure out what heads to use. I currently have a set of 452 but want to use my vintage DP4B manifold and I know the 452 are for a RB. Now I feel a bit dumb but are 516 the only low deck heads or are the 916 or 905 Also?

A B and RB heads are interchangeable on all the blocks and can
be used and fit perfect well.
On the flow bench the 906 are the best with the 915 close behind
and the 516 well behind.

Last edited:
452s came on 400s as well as 440s. I'm not sure if they were cast early enough for the 383. But as John said, there is no "B" or "RB" cylinder head. They all interchange. There are also some 200 series castings like 203, 206 and the like. The standard open chamber heads are all about the same.....although the 906 does flow a tad better. With the money that it will take to get a pair in shape, you will probably want to look at some new offerings in aluminum.

452 heads have somewhat of a hardened seat. Don't stress. Figure out your cylinder head budget. See if the machine shop can do a little bowl blend for you and a quality valve job. If you need quides the price will climb. You will probably be replacing the springs . If you need valves.....now you're starting to approach some cheap aluminum heads which really should be brought to a machine shop, disassembled and inspected. More money.....what is the goal? Street car, build a 375 hp iron job and spend your cylinder head money on the chassis. Get some better tires,brakes and exhaust. No point in spending money on heads to make 600 hp when you will be happy with 400!

Hi jacking here but still asking questions along this line. I was wondering myself as well and was also wondering about the aftermarket aluminum offerings as far as the difference between one seating special offset rockers and ones that could you just use Factory rockers?..

Offset rockers are usually required for max wedge ports. Most heads can accommodate factory rockers.

As everyone has said big block heads are big block heads they all fit every motor except hemi which are hemi specific of course.
Keep your 452’s they have hardened seats and are better for the unleaded fuel we have now.

I wouldn't let the "hardened seat" thing make my mind up. Induction hardening is only about .020" deep at the most. That's gone with the wind after being run 30 years and a valve job. Unless the engine is going in something heavy and or towing heavy loads, I wouldn't stress over hardened seats. Light hot street and race cars with low gears are about the last application I'd worry with hardened seats about.

You can run stainless valves and it will accomplish the same thing as hard seats.
I think the 516 was b specific but they still bolt onto rb.
Run whatcha got, 452s can be made into a great head for iron.

452s came on 400s as well as 440s. I'm not sure if they were cast early enough for the 383. But as John said, there is no "B" or "RB" cylinder head. They all interchange. There are also some 200 series castings like 203, 206 and the like. The standard open chamber heads are all about the same.....although the 906 does flow a tad better. With the money that it will take to get a pair in shape, you will probably want to look at some new offerings in aluminum.
But aren’t the intake manifolds different from the 383 to 440?

They did not run offset rockers on the Max Wedge.
Sorry my Max Wedge Mopar Stage 6 heads required offset rockers. I just assumed they all did because of the bigger port window. But it's taller not so much wider.

I think the 346 was the last head a 71 383 would have gotten

If you want to use a stock head the closed chambered 915s will give you good quench and slightly higher compression. The open chambered heads will not. 915 heads 79cc, 516 84cc, 906, 346, 452, 213 all 86-90 cc.

Well sure, but we're talkin about heads here.
I understand now. me and my underdeveloped teenage brain thought that the water jacket opening on the head was suppose to be completely cover when I mocked it up with the DP4B .:BangHead:

There is no water jacket on a B head unless you have a pair of the weird motorhome heads offf a 413/ 426-3 heavy truck engine. If you are talking about the middle port, that is the exhaust crossover on "normal engines" and the water heated crossover on heavy truck / some motorhomes Those heads are easily identifiable as they have a big water port on the ends of the heads.

Other than special race heads like B2 or whatever they were called here is what does and does not interchange from a low deck (361/ 383/ 400) and a tall deck (413/426/440) and there were a few older (I think) 383's made in tall deck

Cranks are different because stroke and main bearings are larger in tall decks
Intake are different because wider on tall decks
Distributor is a bit longer on tall deck
Pushrods are longer on tall deck
Pans, windage tray, valve covers, timing cover, water pump, rockers, heads, all interchange, and so does the dist. drive gear/ (intermediate shaft) and oil pump, and exhaust manifolds/ headers

I do not remember about alternator brackets, likely different because they tie to the head. Maybe they were drilled for both? Been decades.......................................

I may have forgotten something it's been decades for me

I understand now. me and my underdeveloped teenage brain thought that the water jacket opening on the head was suppose to be completely cover when I mocked it up with the DP4B .:BangHead:
If you're referring to the exposed openings in the center in each side, that's the heat sink for the exhaust cross over. Normal for it to be exposed.

If you're referring to the exposed openings in the center in each side, that's the heat sink for the exhaust cross over. Normal for it to be exposed.
yeah that’s went I really meant

image.jpg

As everyone has said big block heads are big block heads they all fit every motor except hemi which are hemi specific of course.........
FWIW, and few will remember, the outlier one had to be aware of. That's the '68-'69 RR 383 with the + deck. I couldn't put 915s with steel shim gaskets on my '68 way back so I had a valve job done on the 906s.

-
Back