B5 Blue Owners -- Your Input is Requested!

-
Tell me more about alt1 and alt2.

This is the first I've ever herd of that.

What's your source?

I'm starting to think my center console might look funkier powder coated B5 instead of chrome.

Yep different shade for different years. Best to get a sample from a gas cap or other small part from the actual car and to color match. Good thing on the wheels they can be off a little and not stand out as much.

Leanna that wheel looks SWEET! Almost makes me want to get some powder coated steelies for the buggy. But I agree with others. There were soooo many variations of B5, I'd have to send ya a paint sample from my car to be sure it matched. Lol. But it would be worth it... Great job as always

Thank you Bill!

You really need the first letter of the paint code.

There is EB5 and GB5, that I know of, and may be more.

The first letter corresponds to the year it was introduced.

Here's a great relative chart-

http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/challenger_colors.html

I saved your chart YY1. Thanks for tossing that in here! It will be helpful down the road too.

even then ya never know...

take plum crazy for instance. there is plum crazy, then there is alt 1 and alt 2 all for the same year and under he same code. a lot of guys don't know that though.

I guess the girls don't know it either Joe. :-D Thank you!!! (I also have a set of valve covers to do for a tv show in the next few weeks that are going to be plum crazy LOL!)

I have those already OCC and they've been somewhat helpful. Thanks for the link!

Ok it seams,it could be just the pic but it seams to have more metal flake than I remember.Here is a pic of the last Dart GT we hard some 15 years ago.

Beautiful Dart Don! It's easy to see why you miss it. Thanks for dredging it up. :-D

here is mine and it seems to have lots of metal flake in it

That's what I've been finding out the last couple of days Barry -- LOTS of variations from one to the next.

I'm starting to think my center console might look funkier powder coated B5 instead of chrome.

LOL!!! It would surely be different, and you'd probably have the only one out there! :-D

Yep different shade for different years. Best to get a sample from a gas cap or other small part from the actual car and to color match. Good thing on the wheels they can be off a little and not stand out as much.

Zhandfull, that's EXACTLY what my problem has been for the last few years: a lack of actual samples to work from despite all kinds of requests for the color. I kid you not, I've probably had close to 50 people asking for B5 in initial RFQs but no one except VOETOM was willing to provide me with a color sample until recently. Now that I've got what appears to be a decent "Base B5," I can tailor that base in-house to hopefully create all the little variations of B5 to match each customer's particular version.

Guys, I REALLY appreciate all the input, research, photos and comments here ... it's precisely what I was hoping for when I wrote my post and you've all gone above and beyond the call to help me out. Keep 'em coming!!! There is no bad information here and all of it will be useful. I may end up doing a whole bunch of test panels in my "Base B5" for circulation to a few B5 owners for further comparison purposes -- if you're interested in receiving one, shoot me an email with B5 in the subject line and I'll add your name and address to the list. Thanks again everyone!!! :prayer:

"My opinion is that it has too much metal flake in it (sparkle) from what I see in the close up pictures. "

I will agree with krazykuda on this. The flake is too pronounced. (Although it looks beautiful.)

I have done paintwork since the early '70s. One problem with matching original paint is that the mixing colors aren't the same as they were back then. And as a general rule, the cars weren't as 'shiny' as we tend to 'remember' them. And with quality control the way it was back then, some cars might have gotten more paint (better coverage) on them than others. A few years ago I had a very interesting conversation with an elderly gentleman who had worked at the St. Louis plant. Among other things I learned a lot from him about the paint process.........more than I feel like typing here. LOL

Since we are used to base/clear paint now, even clearcoating original paint distorts the way the paint looks. The clear tends to 'emphasize' the metallic and brighten the color.

The B5 on the modern Challenger also has pearl in it which the original colors did not have.

If you need a breakdown of the year variations of B5 I can check my color books and get back to you.

Good luck. You do very nice work.
Dallas
Yep i agree with ya paint is way different now compared to even 5 years ago, and i also have been in the trade since the 70's,Did this 69 cuda and this was the closest i could come up with.
Ed.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 215
Leanne, I own a 1969 B-5 4,000 original mile barracuda. I could photograph the under side of the trunk lid if you think it will be of use to you. Thanks. Bill.

Ooooooh, that would be the next best thing to a non-essential body plug with overspray on it or a bolt or something Bill! Thanks!!!

Mine, painted with Matrix paint, has a ton of flake in it. Guess if I go with steel wheels I now know how they will be finished....

Yep i agree with ya paint is way different now compared to even 5 years ago, and i also have been in the trade since the 70's,Did this 69 cuda and this was the closest i could come up with.
Ed.

EZ, my friend/body guy has told me the same thing. He made mention that the metal flake is now a plastic compound was one of the reason things are different from yesteryear.....

That's handy Doug -- powders are essentially plastic too -- acrylic, polyester, polyurethane, etc. Good to know!!

Tell me more about alt1 and alt2.

This is the first I've ever herd of that.

What's your source?

body shops should know about it.. saw it when djvcuda painted his cuda.. my engine bay in my demon was slightly different in color then his car.. both plum crazy. he asked what one i had.. really i had no idea but his paint was one of the alts...

probably changed from supplier and plant that painted them originally.

Thanks Bill! I just sat down after a long day of house cleaning [yuk, I hate domestic BS] and haven't gotten to my biz email yet. I appreciate the quick follow up!

Well, the Test Mule Rim was picked up this morning by the FedEx guy and is on its way across the border to Missouri. We should all know in the next day or two how it looks against VOETOM's version of B5. I'll be sure to share any pics and commentary he might have about it. I'm not sure who's more excited to see the results, him or me!!! :-D

Thanks again for all the input gang! It's just what I was hoping for. Hugs all around muahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leanna, I would suggest customers sending paint samples with orders as the colors do change and sometimes the metalflake is less or more. I parked at a recent event (wish I had pictures) and there were about seven B5 cars (all Dodge, no Plymouths) and all were a bit different but two cars. Also one thing to mention. Contrasting color also makes the hue look different. An example, check out the Challenger a few posts back on this thread with the black stripes then look at my car with the white stripes and contrasting top color and look what it does to the paint color. I had this car next to a Charger (a 69) and the color looked the same. Hope that helps.
Chas.

Attachments

• new car pics 015.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 191
Not having a B5 car anymore. But from what I can remember. My 69 dart was a lighter and more aqua shade then my 71 Demon. The wheel looks real close to the 69-70 shade. which would be better because I don't think 71 wheels were available in body color. this is just my oppinion from the pics. Live action as the wild man says. may make it look different

Leanna, I would suggest customers sending paint samples with orders as the colors do change and sometimes the metalflake is less or more. I parked at a recent event (wish I had pictures) and there were about seven B5 cars (all Dodge, no Plymouths) and all were a bit different but two cars. Also one thing to mention. Contrasting color also makes the hue look different. An example, check out the Challenger a few posts back on this thread with the black stripes then look at my car with the white stripes and contrasting top color and look what it does to the paint color. I had this car next to a Charger (a 69) and the color looked the same. Hope that helps.
Chas.

Chaz, I totally agree with the color sample being the best way to go -- it's how I've always matched up colors to customers' requests -- but up til now I couldn't get anybody to send me one. :-D

Not having a B5 car anymore. But from what I can remember. My 69 dart was a lighter and more aqua shade then my 71 Demon. The wheel looks real close to the 69-70 shade. which would be better because I don't think 71 wheels were available in body color. this is just my oppinion from the pics. Live action as the wild man says. may make it look different

Oldman, thanks for the comments! I plan on doing MUCH more with this than merely steel wheels though. (I really don't coat a lot of rims for various reasons, especially alloys.)

I just checked the tracking info and it looks like we're all stuck waiting until at least Thursday to see how they look on VOETOM's car. The suspense is killin me LOL!!! I'm pretty jazzed that it'll be close enough to work with though.

Just as a quickie follow up, ya'll aren't gonna believe this one!!

I started on the next project in line the day before yesterday, a '69 Barracuda front grille assembly. Got it all torn down and began the tedious trim resto efforts one piece at a time. When I picked up one of the longer surrounds and started to inspect what was needed, I noticed some overspray on the inner chromed edge and along the inside center area. "Holy crap!!!" I grabbed the round bar hook I used to suspend VOETOM's Test Mule Rim last week, picked up the surround and took them both outside. Then I went and got my camera. Check THIS out ...

View attachment 039 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 033 - Copy.jpg

I called my customer with the grille and confirmed with him that it was original B5. Woooooooo!!!

Tom's rim arrived at his place yesterday but he didn't get the chance to bolt it up yet, but after seeing this I was delightedly doing The Happy Dance wigglin' all over the shop yesterday.

One down ...... a few other years and manufacturers to go. It should be fairly simple from here to tailor the others in-house as the need arises.

Thanks again for everybody's input and comments!! Yep, I'm jazzed. :-D

Just as a quickie follow up, ya'll aren't gonna believe this one!!

I started on the next project in line the day before yesterday, a '69 Barracuda front grille assembly. Got it all torn down and began the tedious trim resto efforts one piece at a time. When I picked up one of the longer surrounds and started to inspect what was needed, I noticed some overspray on the inner chromed edge and along the inside center area. "Holy crap!!!" I grabbed the round bar hook I used to suspend VOETOM's Test Mule Rim last week, picked up the surround and took them both outside. Then I went and got my camera. Check THIS out ...

View attachment 1714641645

View attachment 1714641646

I called my customer with the grille and confirmed with him that it was original B5. Woooooooo!!!

Tom's rim arrived at his place yesterday but he didn't get the chance to bolt it up yet, but after seeing this I was delightedly doing The Happy Dance wigglin' all over the shop yesterday.

One down ...... a few other years and manufacturers to go. It should be fairly simple from here to tailor the others in-house as the need arises.

Thanks again for everybody's input and comments!! Yep, I'm jazzed. :-D

Cool. It was great to have that overspray show up right now.

It was pretty funny on the timing for sure! I had a real color sample right there in line and didn't even know it. :-D

Good work Leanna!
One thing to remember is that back on the assembly line when these cars were manufactured, the wheels could be off a little bit because they were not painted the same time as the body.
Chrysler wasn't that anal about it matching perfectly, they just wanted it close enough.
The bar and the grille pics look very close to me, though not perfectly identical.
I think it would have easily passed the test back in the day.
Just some food for thought......
Tom.

Thanks Tom! (Hey, I told gdrill George on the phone the other day to give you a big hug from me since you were standing there but he vehemently declined LOL!)

I plan on doing much more with this B5 experiment than just wheels ... in fact, I don't do a lot of rims here at all for various reasons -- some alloys shouldn't be heated, shipping costs (especially for four or five steelies) are always a factor out here in BFE, and with owners' habits of tire wet, silicone sprays and God-only-knows what polishes may have been used in the past -- I care much more about my results than just getting them out the door coated. Once those chemicals soak in, even with proper cleaning and outgassing techniques it's a luck of the draw how they're going to turn out.

In case anyone subscribed to this thread missed VOETOM's write up and great pictorial, here's a link to his post.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=243963&highlight=leanna

The Happy Dance continues!! :-D

For what it's worth, I showed Billy Tom's first picture of both the powder coated Test Mule Rim and Tom's 20-year old lacquer painted B5 rim side by side and asked "Which one's mine?"

View attachment B5 Blue Powder Match vs. Ma Mopar's Lacquer.jpg

He picked the wrong one. Heh hehhhhhhhhh

In case anyone subscribed to this thread missed VOETOM's write up and great pictorial, here's a link to his post.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=243963&highlight=leanna

The Happy Dance continues!! :-D

For what it's worth, I showed Billy Tom's first picture of both the powder coated Test Mule Rim and Tom's 20-year old lacquer painted B5 rim side by side and asked "Which one's mine?"

View attachment 1714642220

He picked the wrong one. Heh hehhhhhhhhh

O.K., let's start a new game here.
Let a few people respond and then tell us who is right! The color looks dead on to me.
The one on the left is the new one.

-
Back