back bench from 73 swinger in 71 scamp?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im about to buy a rear bench seat from another member for my 71 scamp. the seat came out of a 73 swinger. Does anybody know if the seat will fit (hanging properly and all) in my scamp? i would think it does, but just want clarification. if anyone knows drop a line.

thanks
matthew8)

Hey guys,

Im about to buy a rear bench seat from another member for my 71 scamp. the seat came out of a 73 swinger. Does anybody know if the seat will fit (hanging properly and all) in my scamp? i would think it does, but just want clarification. if anyone knows drop a line.

thanks
matthew8)

Scamp is just a Dart body with a Duster front end. I'm almost positive that the rear seat will fit. Geof

I know it is, but i thought maybe the seats from 73 in the rear were different from the rear seats in 71...i just want to be sure, but i figured they probably are the same...can anyone confirm this?

I can check my '74 swinger rear seat against my '71 swinger rear seat tomorrow afternoon, although I'm not sure if that will help you...Let me know!:-D

A Scamp is a Dart. They are the same. It will fit right in there. The seat gran may be different. But all you would need to do is reupholster it if you want it to have the right year gran pattern.

I can check my '74 swinger rear seat against my '71 swinger rear seat tomorrow afternoon, although I'm not sure if that will help you...Let me know!:-D

if you could doublecheck for me that would be great, if not im just gonna go for it anyways...i figure it should fit, and the upholstery on it will match the covers im getting for my front buckets

tech help at legendary told me that they do not interchange? im assuming they mean the seat covers only? i shot them back another email asking them to clarify....if anybody else on here knows please share

somewhere along the way they cut out the rear corners of the seat bottom for seatbelt retracters. Not sure what year.

but would the seat still mount in the 1971 retainers in my car? i would assume if thats what they did (cutting the rear corners of the seats) then i should be fine- there would just be a gap there?

legendary just got back to me....told me the size of the seat is very different and that the covers are as well....like i said not concerned about the covers, just the actual seat fitment...as long as it fits in the stock retainers and isnt too wide or too narrow im fine (i can live with little spaces in the rear corners for seatbelts)...anybody who has actually done a swap like this or can check to see similarities/differences please help out...i would really appreciate it

My two cents from the 'cheap seats' is 67 to 76 2 door Darts were the same size. Scamps would also be in the same catagory as 71 to 76 is in fact just a Dart with Duster nose treatment as anyone knows. I do know that Duster or Demon/Dart Sport rear seats are different but only in the height of the rear seat back as they are about 4 inches taller due to the style of the car. In addition 4 door Dart, and Valiant use the same size seat back but the seat bottom is different. having said that 73 was the start of the large retractors in the rear seat belts so the seat will have a taper toward the back on each side to allow the retractor. Other than that they should be the same size. Only thing is I am not sure about the hangers on the top of the back seat in the 73 being in the same place as they are in the 71. One quick way to figure that out is look at year one, paddock, or legendary for the divider panel sold for behind the rear seat back. If it is listed for 67 to 76 the seat back hooks should be the same as there is cutaways on each side of this panel to allow the piece to fit meaning they are all in the same place. Good Luck!!
Chas.

The seat will fit. The only difference I've seen is the way the seat back is secured to the car on the bottom. Earlier models simply had a metal tab that you bend over to secure but later models bolted to the car. I have a late seat back in my '71 Duster. The seat bottom is not bolted down. Still works though.

Should you need a set, i have a set from a 71 scamp. They are black and may be able to be used as they are. I'm in West Plains, Mo. 65775 but shipping may not be feasable. Let me know. $150 bottom and back plus shipping.

they fit, have 73-74 dart/duster seat in my 71 dart and they will work, the edges of seats on later ones[73 up] are rounded or cut off looking but will work[for seat-belt retractors] and there is a gap in the carpet area next to door panel area--which i am going to change back to 71 style and eliminate that prob[ i figured this out after i had it recovered--sucks but it happens] seat came with the car so i assumed it was right-----so yea they will work

Here,s the seat the young fella wants to buy,it,s in very good shape.

73 dart special 024.jpg

hey guys, thanks for all the replies...im going to go with it anyways....the seat is in mint shape as pettyblu has shown, and i honestly think it will be fine...after all it is the back seat, i was just concerned more with it actually fitting the retaining hooks, but im sure it will be fine...i figured from the start it would be okay, but i thought i should check these things before i jumped right in...thanks guys

Sorry mshred! I got back late from work today so I didn't get a chance to swap seats. I'm off tomorrow so I can still give it a try if you want, but it sounds like it'll be fine. I can tell you the hooks on the '74 seat I have look to be the same as the '71, it didn't bolt in.

hey dont worry about it....i think im just going to give it a go...it should work, and even if it needs to be finessed a little im fine with that as the seat is in really great shape...thanks though

-
Back