Back Halfing Question

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know from experience. Is it possible to back half a car (either a 72 Demon or a 73 Dart Sport) and still retain the stock rear seat?

I am trying to determine whether to back half my car (so I am covered for future upgrades or just to do a 3" spring move (now I am limited)

Has anyone run in to this and can shed some light on keep the rear seat in you back half a car.

Thanks

It depends on how wide and tall you make your rear wheel wells. My car can't have a back seat as I run 33 21.5 Mickey's. Even if you widen your rear wheel wells 3 inch's you would have a problem with the rear seat. If you go conservitive you could modify the seat and make it narrower and keep it stock looking though.
How wide and tall do you want to go?

I have no clue how tall I want to go.... My problem is I have (4) cars all of which have good parts and currently none are ready to run. So I am considering a car consolidation into what I always wanted to make. A true street / strip car with fat tires out back. I guess some would call it a pro-street look. The car will be 85% street and 15% strip. But I plan to drive the balls off of the car, so having a back seat is still required for my usage.

Problem is in order to keep the back seat I am limited on rear tire width... I love to get something in the 12"-14" wide tire range, but maybe I can't?

I have MT 28x11.5-15's on my 72 demon now and I know I want wider than that.

Yes its very possible. Even if you go with really big tubs all you have to do is cut some of the supports out of the seat back. There is a shop here in the bronx that huge tire's and keepingthe back seat is there trade mark. It's Pro Street Performance the guy's name is Richie his # is 1-917-446-3392 there work is top notch and reasonably priced.

Do they have a website? The bronx is a bit of a haul for me since I am in Pittsburgh, PA, but I love to see some of his work. Thanks!

I minitubbed my Demon, a 345wide tire on a 12" rim and have room to spare. I will be using the backseat....minor moddin of the seat springs.

Mini tub creates a lot of space in the Demon/duster bodies

Can you post a picture so I can see how wide the tires look up under the car? Thanks!

more "pro-touring" than your goal of "prostreet"........That is a roll of tape behind the tire to reference the size

Bottom pic shows the front which is a 255 wide....not the really the big/little look

9-22 updates 014.jpg

9-22 updates 015.jpg

Now I really like that fat tire! So that is a 345 in a mini tub with 3" offset spring kit????

I think pro touring is more of what I am heading towards. Do you have a full cage in the car?

The rear is a Triangulated 4 link, backbraced 8 3/4, and a custom sway bar (going in soon), Varishock coilovers. Mini tubbed to the frame rail

I wouldnt call it a "full cage"....more of a custom as I am gonna have a full interior. Just got the forward bars done in the last couple weeks. All new inner fenders and smooth firewall

I had to resize the pics....so some of the lines are distorted in the tubs.

100_1094 (2).JPG

9-29 updates 003.jpg

can you email me the all the pics you have?
[email protected]

I think you have given me some serious inspiration here!!!

The only difference will be is I am seriously considering grafting my Demon front clip, doors, and tail section onto my 73 Dart Sport Moon roof / Fold down rear seat car... Its be a 1 of none and a sleek looking Pro-Touring ride. I am thinking some pro touring side bars and maybe like an 8pt or 6pt cage, but it wouldn't be needed if I go mini tub. I know I don't like my competition 10pt cage in my demon now! I am thinking Alterkation front end, shaved marker lights, 72 scoop, and get this 73 style high back bench seat with arm rest (I love them)....Wow I need to get home and find a tablet! I haven't been this jazzed about my cars in a few weeks! THANKS!!!

Last one I did for someone else, I charged $800 for the minitub and $600 for the relo kit. Probably a bit on the low side compared to some others. I know someone else that charged 2k for the same work.

I have a local friend of a friend guy who gave me a price of about $1000 --- Its the word "about" that scares me. LOL!!! Its always been my luck that I when I hear the word about....that seems to be the starting point and it escalates fast from there!!!

I have a local friend of a friend guy who gave me a price of about $1000 --- Its the word "about" that scares me. LOL!!! Its always been my luck that I when I hear the word about....that seems to be the starting point and it escalates fast from there!!!

Derek,

You have to make sure you're VERY clear about how the tubs are installed, side of frame/top of pan, overlap panel or buttwelded, patch panels or none, seam sealed, etc. Each of those processes take a different amount of time to complete. It can add up to a difference ranging in 8-10 hours more work.

Yes, it can turn into an open ended clusterf*ck if not careful.

Rob

Rob,

That's what I am trying to avoid. Part of me says I should just make some time to do it myself. The tubs I have no problem doing, but the spring relocation I would much rather bow to someone with higher skills so my car does ride sideways down the road.

derek
did you get my PM on the parts?

I have been told that if you want to back half a car be prepared to spend $10,000. When I first asked about it I said are you nuts but when you start buying all the correct parts for it, narrowed rear end, shocks, 4 link, wheels and tires fuel cell pump etc it all adds up. Then you have to add the material and labor etc etc

I have been told that if you want to back half a car be prepared to spend $10,000. When I first asked about it I said are you nuts but when you start buying all the correct parts for it, narrowed rear end, shocks, 4 link, wheels and tires fuel cell pump etc it all adds up. Then you have to add the material and labor etc etc
Yup it get real expensive REAL quick.
But you can have a fully tubbed car with a backseat.lol My buddy who is 6'1 snuck his *** back there because he was too cheap to pay admission at Carlisle
mopp_0801_07z1970_plymouth_duster.jpg

I have a 72 Dodge Demon that has been tubbed and still has the
back seat in it.I had to cut some of the frame work from the back
seat to clear the wheel tubs.I am running 31-16.50-15 Mickey
Thompson tires with reworked wheel wells.I had the springs moved
into the frame rails and the rear end has not been shortened.I am
using Centeline Wheels on the car.The rims are 12 in wide with a
7 1/4 inch back spacing. I am using the stock gas tank with a fitting
I installed for the pick up.I do have a 1/4 in spacers on the wheels
because if I turned too sharp, I would get a little wheel rub on the
inner sidewall of the tire.I am using super stock springs with Mopar
Performance drag shocks for 4-speed cars.If I can help in any way
let me know.Good luck!

Does anyone out there know from experience. Is it possible to back half a car (either a 72 Demon or a 73 Dart Sport) and still retain the stock rear seat?

I am trying to determine whether to back half my car (so I am covered for future upgrades or just to do a 3" spring move (now I am limited)

Has anyone run in to this and can shed some light on keep the rear seat in you back half a car.

Thanks

I have had several cars done and can say that I would never do it again to one. Sure the 21.5's look awesome but the car rides like a tank...Hydroplanes easy if you are caught out in a rain shower and so on. Now if this is just a race car then that all does not matter...

How fast are you wanting to go? There are plenty of cars running stock suspension and 9-10" tires in the low 8's high 7"s in the 1/4... Are you looking beyond that? Things have come a long way and to go out and spank a big tire car with a 9" slick car is just to funny.... Just my .02 worth as I would put that money into something else...

-
Back