Back in the 60's

-
I tell my son that when I was in highschool I remember my wage going from $.90 to a whole dollar an hour and I thought I was knocken down some big bucks.

I tell my son that when I was in highschool I remember my wage going from $.90 to a whole dollar an hour and I thought I was knocken down some big bucks.

That's cause for the time, you were.

Thanks, that was nice almost wish I could go back.

Kenny

You guys are right!

When I got out of HS in 68, I told myself if I ever made 18k per year, I would be very happy and consider myself a financial success.

I used to hate listening to my grandpa talk like this, now I am him.

My first real job,payed $1.60 an hour. I was lucky and usually got some overtime,too. I bought my '72 Duster brand new,for $3,055,and took it down and filled the tank,with .30 a gallon gas.

I wasn't just a simpler time, it was a more "free" time. There wasn't always some group of people that don't even know you telling you what you can & can't do, or what's best for your kids. People were allowed to make their own decisions, good or bad, and were accountable for their decisions.
If I could go back, I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'd be there. If you weren't around prior to about 1980 or so, you have no idea just how BAD life has become compared to "yesteryear", and I feel sorry for you, and my kids.

George

If we sound like a bunch of old cranky SOB's it's cause we are. You bet life was better and people were a lot friendlier, I'd go back in a heartbeat even if I had to go back at the age I'm at now. About the worst thing I ever heard on TV back then was when Joan told Ward "You were a little hard on the Beaver last night".

Ha.......remember that?

I was born in 1970 , and am "glad all-over" that I didn't have to deal with that shitty decade known as the 70's ( especially '74 - '80 ) in any adult capacity .

My parents are / were older than average when they married and when I was born ; my mom was 37 when she had me ; my dad was 33 . They were raised in the post-depression era ( although my dad's family was quite well off financially ) , with my mom coming from a big family of Irish Catholics of 12 , and they were financially poor .

My sister and I were raised with to have manners , be thankful and grateful , be polite , and respect our elders and authority ( within reason ) .

My favourite things from the 60's :
- Artwork ( especially the psychedelic band posters and album covers ! )
- Vehicles
- Music ( Rock , Garage , Punk , Motown , Soul , Northern Soul , Jazz , etc. , etc. )
- Fashion ( Mod , Softy ; gal's styles were the best , with all of those pvc skirts , jackets , catsuits and kinky boots (!!) , the hairstyles and makeup .

I've never been sure why I was blessed to have grown up during the '60s in SoCal. That time period was the absolute BEST in every way.
Thanks for the memories! I just wish there was some way to go back and re-live 'em all.
the music
cruising Whittier Blvd
OCIR/Lions Drag Strip/Irwindale
EVERYTHING

I grew up in the 60's too. Literally. I was 10 in 1960 and 20 in 1970. It was a wonderful time to come "of age", too! Played in a band then, still do, though I'm now 61, and the Rock we play is called "Classic".
First car in 1965 was a 1957 Ford Fairlane. Second car in 1968 was a brand new Hemi Roadrunner. My Dad purchased it as my High school graduation gift, but it was about a year after I graduated. lol Glad he waited!

Thanks for those memories.

Those where the days my friend, we thought they'd never end....

I turned 16 in 1969 and my best friend had a 1967 GTX. Tire smoke and some other kind of smoke!

Man that brings back some memories.Yep i miss'em too. and yes the tv's were black and white and we had to get off our asses to change the channel. My first car was a 69 old's 442, Ah the good ol'e days.

Man that brings back some memories.Yep i miss'em too. and yes the tv's were black and white and we had to get off our asses to change the channel. My first car was a 69 old's 442, Ah the good ol'e days.

You kidding me.........I use to have to get up and on my way outside to "turn the antenna pole" I'd change the channel.

I felt that this would be a worthy addition to this thread ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bj-lOyW_0U"]YouTube - Strawberry Alarm Clock "Pretty Song From Psych-Out"[/ame]

I never worked for anyone other than myself my entire life, even after school I done pinstriping which eventually took me from coast to coast and back again over and over. Now in my golden years I still dabble in what it is that I do best, relax, have fun, smoke herb, build vehicles and live in the 60's :)

I wasn't just a simpler time, it was a more "free" time. There wasn't always some group of people that don't even know you telling you what you can & can't do, or what's best for your kids. People were allowed to make their own decisions, good or bad, and were accountable for their decisions.
If I could go back, I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'd be there. If you weren't around prior to about 1980 or so, you have no idea just how BAD life has become compared to "yesteryear", and I feel sorry for you, and my kids.

George

X2 on everything you said here George!

Keep the replies coming guys!

Loved it, knew members of L skynard, and .38 special.
First car, 60 Beetle, then 60 Galaxy, 55 Fairlane, 51 Ford, then the 70 Duster.

And that nasty 55 chevy with a 425 hp 296 4 speed; broke every part in the drivetrain.That car kept me more than broke. Only car I could afford to keep was the Duster.

-
Back