Back in the game

-

Michaeluser

Reaction score
Well after a brief departure from the A body world, at least car ownership, I can officially say the I am proud owner of a 1973 Duster 340 3 spd.

The good the car was only $900 and has very little rust. The car is red with black interior and came with disc brakes.

The bad it's missing the fender tag and has no motor or trans.

Can you guys help me determined that I didn't get ripped.

Thanks check out the pics.

On the trailer at home.

3402.jpg

depending on the completenss of the interior and brake, and suspension, and fuel system...I think you made a great deal.

Looks worth it from that angle!

Interior. No carpet, no door panels. But hey no major rust on the floors. Great starting point. Hmm what to do? Color is black, but white seats would look cool.

3406.JPG

If it were a /6 column auto in the same condition it might be a $400 car?

For $500 difference you got 4spd pedals, hump, 8 1/4 rear, disk brakes, sway bar setup, and a red 340 car that will always have better resale value than a /6 clone even without the fender tag and buildsheet.

For what it is, not a bad deal.

Question is do you want to and can budget a big project like this. A lot of parts are missing and can nickel and dime you to death. You are going to have to be a patient and savvy parts hound.

Yeah, the parts are going to kill me, but with a little ebay and craigs I might be able to find a deal or two.

Are torque boxes on the 340 only cars?

Yeah, the parts are going to kill me, but with a little ebay and craigs I might be able to find a deal or two.

Make a good list for Fall Fling and get there EARLY. Like 5:30-6am and walk the line of swapper before you get in.

I got a bunch of A-body stuff at the last Spring Fling. And great deals. Hard to find stuff too like 68 GTS door emblems, all 4 67/68 Dart stainless wheel molding, 68 rocker spear, 68 headlight door, 340 block, RPM intake, etc etc...

73 Duster trim stuff shouldn't be too expensive if you hunt hard, just a matter of finding it.

Are torque boxes on the 340 only cars?

Depends on the year and depends if it was a 4spd or not. My 68 340 auto does not have them.

About every 70 duster 340 4spd has them. I think even automatics.

Make a good list for Fall Fling and get there EARLY. Like 5:30-6am and walk the line of swapper before you get in.

I got a bunch of A-body stuff at the last Spring Fling. And great deals. Hard to find stuff too like 68 GTS door emblems, all 4 67/68 Dart stainless wheel molding, 68 rocker spear, 68 headlight door, 340 block, RPM intake, etc etc...

73 Duster trim stuff shouldn't be too expensive if you hunt hard, just a matter of finding it.

Depends on the year and depends if it was a 4spd or not. My 68 340 auto does not have them.

About every 70 duster 340 4spd has them. I think even automatics.

Cool. I will be going for all the right reasons this year. I should have some ideas to. I might want to talk to Darrell at the Fall Fling to see what engine/trans combo he has available.
Are you going to be there?

Cool. I will be going for all the right reasons this year. I should have some ideas to. I might want to talk to Darrell at the Fall Fling to see what engine/trans combo he has available.
Are you going to be there?

I got a std bore 1969 340 block for $300 at Spring Fling. It did have a non original rear main cap so it had to be align bored. Should be able to fine a 72/73 340 block for under $450.

Oh yes, I will be there. Someone's got to let everyone in.

Looks like a killer deal to me. Even at twice the price I would sleep well at night. If you need a motor trans set up, I would look to the junk yards in the Wilmington area. I know there are quite a few 360s in the yards. Since the fender tag and motor are missing why not put a 360 in it and save a bunch of money. Just a thought, either way it looks like a great project. Congrats!

Looks like a pretty good deal to Me.Do you need a dash frame for the inerior?Not sure if they're the same but I have one from a '72 Dart that I'm not doing anything with.Actually have quite a few parts from that car as I gutted it let Me know if you need anything.

Thanks.

Yeah as with all my project purchases I got extra parts. Two dashes and two rear seats some other small parts. I also have bumpers. For some reason I didn't take the other set of early Duster bumpers.

I ended up pressure washing the whole car and there is still in every crack. I did find an earlier sin some replaced the driver side front rear quarter under the 1/4 window. Not a bad repair on the surface but a little to be desired in the door jam area. I am not going full stock so I am sure it will be okay.

I was wanting to get an idea or more of a vote:

Should I go:
1. 5.7/6.1 HEMI EFI
2. 340 stroker to a 410
3. 360 Magnum

Any thoughts.

Also, any locals going to Fall Fling?

-
Back