Back up light problem

-

68'barracuda

Reaction score
I have a 68' barracuda that came with a three speed on the column with a slant six. I pulled it and put a small block 318 and a 727 auto transmission out of a 73 dart.

It now has a console. i used the neutral safety switch and back up light switch in the trans. now the back up lights are on in reverse, drive and low but not in park and neutral???????

any suggestion.... do i need a switch in the console.

A 73 transmission would have the correct rooster comb for a 3 post case mounted switch.
To a 68 car you would simply route the 2 wires from inside the cabin to that switch. If you've done this the only fault would have to be a faulty switch on the trans.

I cannot conferm this but have been told that several changes were made with the valve body over the years and that the length of the switch.Aparently there are 2 lenghts of the 3 prong switch. I had the same problem using a 66 727 and a later switch. The rooster comb and switch have to match.Again this may be hear-say.

I have a 68' barracuda that came with a three speed on the column with a slant six. I pulled it and put a small block 318 and a 727 auto transmission out of a 73 dart.

It now has a console. i used the neutral safety switch and back up light switch in the trans. now the back up lights are on in reverse, drive and low but not in park and neutral???????

any suggestion.... do i need a switch in the console.

If the transmission really is a 73, seems to me it could only be a bad switch, or something wrong with the transmission rooster comb. . You DID disconnect the original backup switch on the shifter?

it does not have a switch in the console
rebuilt transmission, new 3 prong switch , and a new pigtail..???..??

OK so if you disconnect the switch, what happens?

...............68s need the 1 prong switch......and the 68 down rooster comb in the transmission for the back up lites work properly...........kim.......

You have it hooked up to the neutral safety part of the switch instead of the backup light wire. (Backup light go out in neutral and park)

Pins 1 and 3 are for backup lights.
Pin 2 (the center one is neutral safety)

68 Barracuda had a switch in the console. I know you went from column to console.

The switch wires connected to the instrument with two wires a solid violet and a violet with a white tracer stripe. Because yours was originally a column shift I don't know if the wires would be there for the console. The switch would have been in the column. I believe the wires are the same violet color looking at the wire diagram.
The neutral safety switch had a single brown wire to it. Not sure if this differs between the 68 transmission and the 73.

Here's a couple of pictures of the console shift in mine. The little white box is the switch. Don't know if this helps any.
View attachment IMG_4391 (640x480).jpg

View attachment IMG_4393 (640x480).jpg

None of you guys seem to be reading the actual post

He says he has a 73 transmission

This means that it should have the correct rooster and switch

He says if he unhooks the switch, "they go out." He has them wire to the TRANSMISSION, not the console

Sounds to me like you have a bad transmission switch.

...........uuuuuuuuuuuummmmm Del...............he has a 68 car, so he needs to match it to 68 parts, not 69 up......unless he rewires it for the newer stuff.......kim......

...........uuuuuuuuuuuummmmm Del...............he has a 68 car, so he needs to match it to 68 parts, not 69 up......unless he rewires it for the newer stuff.......kim......

Maybe I misunderstood, I took it he has it wired to the transmission switch.

-
Back