Backing plate gasket?

-

951mopar

Reaction score
I am putting my 8 3/4 together. Where can I get the gasket that goes between the end of the housing and the backing plate. Or is there an alternative why of sealing it? If you make your own, what material do you use?

I am putting my 8 3/4 together. Where can I get the gasket that goes between the end of the housing and the backing plate. Or is there an alternative why of sealing it? If you make your own, what material do you use?

I have two of them for 8 3/4" rear end. USD 15 + shipping

I got Felpro ones at an auto parts years ago when I did my A or C rear (forgot). Today, I would just cut from the white foam packaging that comes w/ electronics. Looks like the same stuff. RTV would also work. It is just a dust seal.

Thanks for all the responses. That was all that I was missing. I'm putting in a new rear end, front discs, rear brakes, leaf springs, and rebuilding the front suspension. I was able to track down everything else but those. I will check the auto parts stores.

Thank you!!!

I would just cut from the white foam packaging that comes w/ electronics.

X2. Stuff comes in sheets. Made a template out of an old manilla folder to mark foam for cuts. I used an old metal ballpoint pen cap to make holes for backing plate studs.

The small hole cuts can be made with any sharp cutting instrument. To make a small round hole easily, I recommend using a die, or something like it. My attempts to make a small round hole with scissors and knives (yes, even an exacto) did not yield satisfactory results.

Failing to find something I already have to do the job, I would have gone out and purchased a grommet kit. The kit will include a die that will make a perfectly round hole with one whack of a hammer. Lowe's has them for about $6.32 (just looked on line). The part of the kit needed is called the hole punch. They come in 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes.

The gasket that goes between housing and backing plate is steel. The gasket between axle and backing plate is foam. The two are not the same.

-
Back