backing plate stud holes

-

greg

Reaction score
I've got an 8 1/4 rear end out of a 73 Duster. There are 5 stud holes in the backing plates but only 4 holes in the axle flanges. They plates seem to mount fine but there is no hole in the axle flange to match the mounting stud hole at the bottom (6 'oclock position) of the backing plates. Are they the wrong backing plates...axles???

OK, this sounds like a stupid question but why would there be 7 1/4 axle flanges in an 8 1/4 rear end? Also, if I just left the fifth stud out, is it really a big deal? By the wqy, good luck with your folks. My dad is going through the alzheimers ordeal and it is tough to watch.

i put a 8 3/4 in my 73 duster about 7 yrs ago...used the 8 1/4 backing plates and drums...

no problem...

If you go back and search the threads you will find where others have simply drilled the 5th hole to use 7 1/4 10 inch backing plates on 8 3/4 rear ends. This is what I am going to do. Now I do believe you have to have the correct backing plates to match the width of the drums.

Your brakes are correct. The 8 3/4 rears had the 5 hole backing plate. When they came out with the 8 1/4, it used the same brakes so they just continued making the same setup. The extra hole doesn't hurt a thing.

Thanks guys. I know it's an 8.25. The on I took out is the 7.25. Thanks!

-
Back