BAD GAS !

-

zigs

Reaction score
Yea I know another gas question from me. Got the 471 fired up this week end but the gas in the tank went bad , it had been setting for a couple months with out any stabilizer in it
about ten gallons worth . Thinking about taking most out and adding some racing fuel.
Any thoughts.

if it smells bad flush it, or it may gum up your intake valve stems and cause you to drop a push rod.

471.........471 Whoa!
Number one question; is it oxygenated?
Number 2 what color is it?

-Clear is fresh and ready to explode
-Yellow is refreshable at 50%, but stay out of the secondaries.
-Orange is no-good for carbies, but can be burned in your EFI car.
-Red is totally skunked, feed it to your neighbors Taurus. Bulls drink anything.

Here's another test;
Pour a teaspoon of it onto a cement floor. Light a piece of paper on fire and drop it into the puddle. If it smokes, it is going bad. If the flame jumps up and down, like it can't get air, and it smokes; it is no good for carbies, not even your neighbors lawnmower. If it leaves behind an oily stain, it is long past it's Best-before date, but is still good for starting bushfires.
I say cement floor cuz that's how I have always done it. I have done it on a steel plate; but that usually leaves behind a really greasy stain.I think the grease comes up out of the steel. The cement floor needs to be a typically smoothed surface, or the lighter gas disappears down into it, and you can prove fresh gas-skunky. I have not tried it on a hard glass surface, although I suppose I should have.

Last edited:
how can it possibly go bad in a couple months? Even without stabilizer..
Modern fuel breaks down over time . Some people argue the length of time. When it gets old it start to smell . It was 92% , no way would the engine sputter if it were fresh.
My truck has a near full tank , Ill mix some in it and add fresh to the Dart

471.........471 Whoa!
Number one question; is it oxygenated?
Number 2 what color is it?

-Clear is fresh and ready to explode
-Yellow is refreshable at 50%, but stay out of the secondaries.
-Orange is no-good for carbies, but can be burned in your EFI car.
-Red is totally skunked, feed it to your neighbors Taurus. Bulls drink anything.

Here's another test;
Pour a teaspoon of it onto a cement floor. Light a piece of paper on fire and drop it into the puddle. If it smokes, it is going bad. If the flame jumps up and down, like it can't get air, and it smokes; it is no good for carbies, not even your neighbors lawnmower. If it leaves behind an oily stain, it is long past it's Best-before date, but is still good for starting bushfires.
I say cement floor cuz that's how I have always done it. I have done it on a steel plate; but that usually leaves behind a really greasy stain.I think the grease comes up out of the steel. The cement floor needs to be a typically smoothed surface, or the lighter gas disappears down into it, and you can prove fresh gas-skunky. I have not tried it on a hard glass surface, although I suppose I should have.

Still clear but really stinks . I'll be changing it out.

Does the fuel itself stink? Or might it be the container it is in?

If it's still clear after 2 months, Ima supposing it is non oxygenated.

In my experience,unstabilized E10 will begin to color-change in as little as a week if left in a vented container.

Clear it ALL out. Don't mix anything with that nasty garbage. Start with fresh fuel.

I had some bad gas once also...

Oh wait, you're talking about cars... Nevermind....

Same subject I started on a couple of months ago. Really is shocking that after a couple of months and I would have to replace the fuel in the front bowl just to be able to start the Dart. Any other time, 1 full pump and it fires on the first piston up. My son and another friend have had similar issues starting vehicles after a few months. No unusual color or smell. Never used to have these problems. What's going on? Could it be the Ethanol in the gas?

Same subject I started on a couple of months ago. Really is shocking that after a couple of months and I would have to replace the fuel in the front bowl just to be able to start the Dart. Any other time, 1 full pump and it fires on the first piston up. My son and another friend have had similar issues starting vehicles after a few months. No unusual color or smell. Never used to have these problems. What's going on? Could it be the Ethanol in the gas?
Yes I would say EThanol. This wouldn't happen with the old leaded gas.

Yes, it's the ethanol causing the fuel to evaporate more quickly and turn bad more quickly.

I'm fortunate that in my neck of the woods most premium fuel has no ethanol, so if the car is going to be sitting for a while I'll use the high test with stabilizer and I'm good for at least 12 months. For the same reason I also use premium with stabilizer when filling up the jerry cans.

from the net................

Gas.jpg

-
Back