Baking Headers

-

Pentastarnut

67' Barracuda
Reaction score
I hope i'm not wasting my time as i'm "curing" a pair of headers in the oven after painting them with VHT Flame Proof paint. anyone here try this ?

Your house oven? I wouldn't do that.

I think few people notice in the can's directions that heat paint only works if it's heated after it's applied. Think you can install those headers fast enough after you paint them to be able to start the engine and heat them up? No.....so baking them is the only other way, I would think. I was going to make my own oven by using an old wall locker or water heater metal enclosure. Never did though.....I'll probably just bite the bullet and pay to have them coated.

I just took my new bare TTI headers to the powder coater! He applied the high heat thermal coating and baked them! $70 tax paid

I tried baking the headers for my race car. It was a waste of time.

I never could get them very tender or to taste right. But seriously, The very best way to protect headers is to have them ceramic coated- inside and out. That being said I've had very good results using the VHT rattle cans.

I just took my new bare TTI headers to the powder coater! He applied the high heat thermal coating and baked them! $70 tax paid

Ha, you think so?? High temp ceramic coatings just air dry over the course of five days, they're not "baked" like cosmetic powder coatings. You got a helluva price on the job though (unless the $70 was just the tax).

coating prices around here are $250 plus, and i can't see spending 250 on a 180 pair of headers... they look GREAT , for now

We used to paint them and heat with rosebud to set the paint but still most was gone by the end of summer.

Painted mine with VHT black and let them sit out in the summer sun all day for two days on the drive way last year and they have a little area issues but not much.So it probably did as good as baking does.Good ole southern sun baking your tools so hot you can't touch them.BTW that's how I installed my seat covers:cheers:

My cousin used the silver and just sprayed them while on the motor and started it up after to "bake" them two years ago and they still look good FWIW.

I spent the money having a set ceramic coated inside and out once. they looked good but not worth what I paid to have it done. I have had good luck with the brushable manifold paint from eastwood ( I do bake them before installing ). The manifolds on Dads T-Bird even look good after breaking the cam in. I wish they would make headers for our cars in stainless like they do the imports.

To properly cure the hight temp paints, it has to be done in three stages. It needs to have three 'heat up' and 'cool down' cycles. This can be done after mounting the headers (or manifolds) on the car, but is not as accurately done. Best way is to do it in the oven. First round, heat up to 250 then let cool down. Then 400 and let cool. If you can get your oven to 600 deg, that is best for the last cycle.

By doing it this way your high temp paint will definitely cure and last longer. Once it is oven cured it is also more abrasion resistant and more resistant to oil and gas contamination, which your headers will likely be somewhat subjected to if you're doing an engine swap or whatever.

Not to mention, CLEAN the headers so that they are chemically clean prior to painting them. This means using the right type of solvent / degreaser first, and then handle them with nitrile gloves. Any contaminates left on them will result in less than desirable results.

Good luck!

-
Back