Balancing drag slicks

-

wesgriffiths

Reaction score
I am installing new slicks on my demon(29.5/11.5w15) and just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on balancing them. It's seems there is mixed thoughts on balance or no balance. What is the right thing to do?

I can think of no benefit to not balancing them.

Rusty, I beg to differ on not balancing slicks & front runners. At high speeds on the big end if you get a tire bouncing around, the outcome can be hazardous. I've been there with my former 70 Duster, & it wasn't pretty. I scraped the wall & caused many dollars of damage to the right front glass fender & door, not to mention the front end alignment I had to get after it was all said & done. JMHO

Rusty, I beg to differ on not balancing slicks & front runners. At high speeds on the big end if you get a tire bouncing around, the outcome can be hazardous. I've been there with my former 70 Duster, & it wasn't pretty. I scraped the wall & caused many dollars of damage to the right front glass fender & door, not to mention the front end alignment I had to get after it was all said & done. JMHO

Re-read my post please.

Of course you balance them and use the glue on weights NOT the one's that clip on to the outer part of the rim ( AND FLY OFF !!!) :wack:

they balance them right at the M/T trailer..... good enough for me.

they balance them right at the M/T trailer..... good enough for me.

Balance them ! if you have any trouble w/ the stick on weights coming off, put a strip of heatproof metal tape over them, it will have to be scraped off to remove the weights. they will stay on till you remove them !

I balance mine. Like said - stick on weights and tape over them.

My question is not of balancing or not, but should you bubble balance or high speed balance.

ok...I bought a HF bubble balance and stick on weights a year ago...have balanced two sets of slicks. And 3 sets of front runner so far....got another set of slicks this weekend to do....so far no one has complained about vibrations...

I've always balanced my slicks, on a machine when available, or bubble balance when I buy them from the Hoosier trailer. Never a problem either way.

Some people may debate the issue because they haven't balanced theirs and say they haven't had an issue. Bottom line is that the closer to "balanced" you can get anything, the better it will be for the tires, related parts and performance. Just because you don't "feel" it, doesn't mean it's not there.

I've always balanced my slicks, on a machine when available, or bubble balance when I buy them from the Hoosier trailer. Never a problem either way.

Some people may debate the issue because they haven't balanced theirs and say they haven't had an issue. Bottom line is that the closer to "balanced" you can get anything, the better it will be for the tires, related parts and performance. Just because you don't "feel" it, doesn't mean it's no there.

I remember not balancing a set of 14x32 w`s on the hemi one time because we were in a hurry. couldn`t even make a full pass they were out so bad. scared they were going to tear the car apart. that was back a long time ago, and slicks should be better now, but I wouldn`t even consider, not at least bubble balacing them!

Most tire distributors bubble balance their slicks.
I do my own with a bubble balancer.

-
Back