Ball joint separator

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Thinking of geting a ball joint separator.Does this tool work great I need to remove the uppers and lowers on my 69 Dart.Your input is needed for sure.I thought the tie rod separator would do booth jobs.Well anouther tool would be cool in thebox:cheers:Thanks Guys and Gails.

Its going to be another fork like the one used for tie rods only larger.
Are replacing the ball joints, or just removing the spindle?

Kocuda the plan is new uppers, lowers, lower controll arm bushings,strut rod bushing and rubbers.The spindal will be separated as well.this would also be a good time to paint.

Lisle Corp. (pronounced Lyle) has a ball joint/tie rod kit # 41500 which is a pickle fork kit that has 3 different sized forks and two drive handles, one for an air hammer and one for hand use with a hammer. The pickle forks are wedges and tend to damage the rubber boots so if you need to reassemble the joint you need to be careful. I sell them for $55 or so. Many parts stores handle them also. toolmanmike

You are aware the upper BJ's screw into the arms, not pressed in. They require a special socket but a pipe wrench will work. You'll probably have to apply a little heat to the control arm if the joints look rusted in.

Ya i know a little bit of whats going on how ever I have only done lower ball joints befor man some 25 years ago.I dont remember useing a fork to help I think I used a BFH to pop the lower.I will however get a shop to install the upper ball joint and bushing along with the lower bushing.I hope they know how to work on thease old parts.

Just a reminder....the upper ball joints are screwed into the control arm. There is a socket for those. I have seen non Mopar guys ruin control arms by
pressing the joints out. toolman

Thanks toolmanmike and kocuda i do know that the upper is screwed in.Q for yassss can i use the fork to pop the pitman arm at the link,to remove the steering box figered thats the first to come off then everything else.even the k is coming out.Any thoughts .

Nope, you need a pitman arm puller.
And some of the places that sell suspension kits have a tool kit that does all the front work, for a good price, like jegs or summit.

All flexible joints can be removed with a fork. The pressed or splined joints
take a puller with a threaded shaft( like the pitman arm to steering gearbox)
toolman

hope you got the answers you needed and that the "yassss" comment on your post was a typo!
All the guys just try to help.

5lb. sledge helps with seperating!been there!

trim 029.jpg

yes thankyou all very much I would be lost without you all.PS i cant spell worth a ****,lack or education here.Thanks again Don.

So you can safely smack the lower BJ stud out from the top? I assume you would need to position the castle nut upside down on the stud about level so you dont mushroom the end. 3lb is a nice size, never liked the fork but hey, it may be needed as I got new boots anyway.

You might want to try one of these. They work great and you don't have to beat on anything (always hit my hand when using the pickle fork) One word of warning, it makes a hell of a bang when it releases! It can be a little pita to position in the top one.

100_2950.jpg

What the heck? Most parts stores around here will "loan a tool" with a complete set of tools for these jobs. If you use the fork you will most likely rip the boot, then you look for a new boot or replace the part... These tools in the kits are designed to separate the parts without that problem.
C

I seldom use a pickle fork anymore. I have several sizes of pitman arm pullers that work great on ball joints and tie rod ends. You need to use this type if you plan to reuse the joint.

-
Back