ball joint socket

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
have a friend that has been working for 2 weeks, trying to change out the upper ball joints on his 67 Dart. He bought a ball joint socket off e bay,, did not fit...

what is a recommended source for this tool?
would the same socket fit the lower?

thanks

I bought one for the large ball joint from Mancini Racing but they have both sizes. LBJ nuts are a lot smaller and I would guess you have the right size in your tool box for those- 2 on the back side pointing toward the oil pan.

There are 2 sizes available and you need the smaller of the two. (the one that is just under 2") Shop around and get a 1/2" drive socket instead of the 3/4 drive one. It will save you the grief of finding a 3/4" ratchet or breaker bar to make it work. Check with local rental and parts stores for a rental tool or talk to a older Mopar tech at a dealer or independent shop. They probably have one in they're tool box they haven't used for years and they will let you borrow it for two ball joints.

If all else fails you could just use a 18 or 24 inch pipe wrench. Do yourself a favor and wire brush the threads showing under the arm and soak good with penetrant. Others have ruined the threads in the arm while backing the old balljoint out.
Good luck

I had the same thing with a cheapo socket I bought. The corners on the ball joint were
sharp, and after I broke the corners a little it went on. FWIW

I used a pipe wrench to crack mine loose,then opened up a pair of vise-grips to work them out.Not the best route,but worked with what I had.My threads for the UBJ,s were looking alittle worn,so I tac welded them on 4 corners.This will help when the frontend comes down.TeeHee:toothy10:
car pics 66 Dart 155.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 155.jpg

-
Back