Ball & Trunion to Conventional U-Joint Swap?

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
I thought someone had already clued me in on a conversion to go from the Ball & Trunion to a conventional U-Joint, but I can't find the post now.

This is on a 65 904 tranny in a Dart.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry about that.

The output shaft in the tranny needs to be changed as well as a new drivshaft. It may need a new rear housing as well. I did have a bunch of old 4 sp tranny parts but like a tool I threw them out a few years back.

Why do you want to change it out? The old Hemi cars came with this and it seem to hold up. I run one of those on my Cuda with a 340 and (so far) it never hurt it, I beleive you can still get a rebuild kit for it as well.

I thought there was a page on how to convert on Valiant.org, but couldn't find anything for you. I'm sure somewhere out there there is info on changing it over but can't find anything.

I saw an article on a way to do this on the cheap. Not sure but I think it was on a slant six forum. I'll see if I can find it.

Hi, try this link. earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint

to convert,to the slip joint, the best way is to find a donor junk box,, you will ned the main shaft out of the donor tranny,, and the tail shaft housing,,

it is very easy to convert it,,,a factory service manual may be of some help,,it was to me,,just to show you where all the spring clips were,,,

most all the balll and trunion tranys ive ever seen are all a very low first gear ratio 3'09,, nice for off the line,,, but the ball and trunion is just as good if nto better then the slip yoke,,

there are parts out there now to make a great drive shaft using the ball and trunion,,, i did my conversion back in the early 90s,,if it was today,, ide leave it alone,,there is a guy that has parts for those that he makes for the max wedge racers,,,i have all the info if you need it,,,good luck hope you find a donor trans,

OOOOPS my mistake,,, i didnt read it correct,, i thought you were wanting to convert a manual box from ball and trunion to slip yoke,,,,thats what i get for being on here so late at night,,,im very sorry for any confusion,,

-
Back