Ballast resister?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
I'm taking the 440 from my Charger and putting it into my 72 Swinger. It uses an orange box and Mopar perf. Elect dist. It came with a 4 pin resister.
Just read an article on the Mopar Muscle web site, that states that if I have electronic ingn/distr. I don't need the ballast resister.
What are your thoughts on this?
And, if I don't need it, how would I bypass it?
Here's the link to the article.
Thanks

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_1110_ballast_resistor_guide_ballast_blast_off/index.html

Depending on the box and the coil you MIGHT get away with this and you MIGHT be sitting on the side of the road, sayin' "whut?"

So far as 2/ 4 terminal resistor, this depends on what / how old your ECU is. Some 4 pin ECUs have 5 pins, so the only way to tell is to use an ohm meter on the 5th pin to the other pins and the case, and find out if it's a "dummy" pin.

5 pin ECUs MUST use 4 terminal resistors

4 pin ECUS CAN use EITHER 2 or 4 terminal resistors

Seems to me these guys ALWAYS know better than the engineers who designed 'em did

I do run a GM HEI module with no ballast, but I ALSO kept a hand on the coil every 10 minutes the first time I ran it for any length of time, and also the first really hot day.

Re-Read the article; they state the coil life will be compromised.

If you purchase a coil that is designed to run with full battery voltage you can without worrying about shortening the life span of the coil.

This question has come up before, and the link to the magazine article. I think the orange box might die if you install a low-resistance coil and no ballast resistor. If you try it, bring along a spare orange box (should anyway since they die even w/ ballast). This may be an opportune time to switch to HEI ignition. You could wire a 4-pin HEI module, but probably as cheap and better is to buy a "ready to run" distributor off ebay for ~$45. Check skipwhiteperformance and others. There is an RB model. Also get an e-core coil, either skip's, Holley, or one from a Magnum engine.

-
Back