Ballast resistor switched side

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Not using the ballast resistor anymore. On my 72 Swinger. Looking to replace it with a mini-fuse block. Using the switched hot side, as a supply. Are they a fused circuit? If so, what amp is it?

Thanks

Nope. Only protection in the fuse circuit is the main fuse link. What are you planning to hook to it? They are already fairly loaded, so you should use a relay to power "other stuff"

All those wires got uses. One went to the coil. the wire which went to the coil branched to the coil bypass circuit. It still must be used

On the "key" side, one comes from the ignition switch, the other branches to feed the regulator, alternator field, depending on year, "other stuff." Don't any of you guys EVER look at wiring diagrams?

Go here.........download a shop manual...........FREE

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Page 8-147 of the 72 manual is the engine bay

62Dart273,

Ya know, people come on these boards to gain knowledge and hopefully learn. Not all of us are as super smart, as you, I guess. Most of us do not have the vast array of infinite expertise as you, on reading schematics and all knowledge, Mopar. I for one, have never been able to make sense of wiring diagrams, for cars. They just give me a head ache. A person such as yourself, I'm sure makes 7 figures +, as an auto expert. If one can not respond to a question with usable knowledge, with out a snide remark, one should not respond.
I've been on another "Mopar" site for many years. And have responded to the same questions,(if I know the answers), many time. As do all the moderators and members. Yes, I know, they could use the search function.

Forgive me for answering your question. I will not make that mistake again

Nobody pays us for time on these boards

How do you suppose some of us have learned this? When I bought my first Mopar there was no internet. I went down to the dealer and bought a shop manual, and started reading. I still have one of them which was new in 1970

62Dart273,
... Most of us do not have the vast array of infinite expertise as you, on reading schematics and all knowledge, Mopar. I for one, have never been able to make sense of wiring diagrams, for cars. They just give me a head ache. ... respond to a question with usable knowledge, with out a snide remark, one should not respond.
People help those who help themselves. You are trying a custom electrical mod and refuse to try reading schematics? How old are you?

No special knowledge is required, it isn't taught in any engineering school because any kid can do it. Put a pencil on a line in the schematic and follow it, noting every component it goes to. Note the color and wire size given in the list, since that helps you identify it in real life. Old Mopar schematics are very pictorial and simple to read. You can even find big crayon type that isolate just the circuit you are working on. Are you reading any of this, or just fuming and whining? Drink a beer to calm down if too jiggy to look at a diagram. Anything you don't know can be found on youtube or wikipedia. Just takes time, but so does ditch-digging to pay someone who will do it for you.

People help those who help themselves. You are trying a custom electrical mod and refuse to try reading schematics? How old are you?

No special knowledge is required, it isn't taught in any engineering school because any kid can do it. Put a pencil on a line in the schematic and follow it, noting every component it goes to. Note the color and wire size given in the list, since that helps you identify it in real life. Old Mopar schematics are very pictorial and simple to read. You can even find big crayon type that isolate just the circuit you are working on. Are you reading any of this, or just fuming and whining? Drink a beer to calm down if too jiggy to look at a diagram. Anything you don't know can be found on youtube or wikipedia. Just takes time, but so does ditch-digging to pay someone who will do it for you.
Probably one of the biggest over-simplifications I've ever read on this site.
If a guy posts a question on here we can either offer any help we can or choose not to reply if we think it's a stupid question. No need to be condesending or mean. Reading electrical schematics may come easy to some of us, but not everybody grasps it right away. Most DIYers don't have manuals or information systems to look at. That's why they turn to the web & places like FABO. Also there is definitely an awful lot more to understanding electrical theory & applying it. It does take lot of special knowledge to do it right. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it. You have to remember that probably 80% or more of the people posting on here are not professional technicians. Most are just regular guys trying to improve their cars or solve a problem on their car & that's about it.
I'm just saying we could be a little nicer that's all.
Maybe we could all use a beer here, huh?

Bill; Hey Joe, you have any pics of your wife in the nude ?
Joe; Well no. Why do you ask ?
Bill; Want to buy some ?
On any given day that might get a laugh from Joe.
Or Bill gets his head Knocked off.
My point is, none of us are anything more than human beans.
Now a true story for your enlightenment...
One of my customers had factory wiring diagrams and some very weird electrical problems I had never seen before. After a few days of emailing back and forth I happened to mention that the fuel sender wire was at the 12 o'clock position of the round harness connector. That connector is keyed at the 12 o'clock position also.
The entire problem was in the reading of the diagrams. The engineer decided to draw that key rotated 90 degrees, so all the wire locations rotated in the drawing also. The customer hadn't noticed that. All his wires were placed 90 degrees wrong to the key.
That customer said, "My misinterpretation of the diagram was caused by reading through beer goggles". My reply...
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere".
My point in that story is again, We're just human beans.
Not one knows everything and not one is always smiling.
Anyone who cant overlook anothers faults or short comings lives a very lonely life.
Now kiss and make up boys. LOL

Lonewolf3165,

Did you not notice that the OP started fussing and attacking 67Dart273 for trying to help? 67Dart273 is the most helpful person here and spends much time trying to help people. Few would take such time. Rather than follow the links he provided, the kid started whining and personally attacking him. I tried to smack some sense into him, which is the only hope for him fixing his car himself. In my experience, most of these posters respond (if at all) with "gave up, sold the car", which is a shame.

I have taught technical subjects for many years, when younger, and have found very few people whose problem is ability to understand. It is almost always bad attitude and unwillingness to listen and try. You can tell when they aren't even trying to listen, which defines much of the public who will never be able to fix their own car. Little excuse today with so many resources at your fingertips on the internet.

-
Back