Band Adjustment?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Is it possible to adjust the kickdown band on a 904 in an early A, or does the transmission need to be dropped?

Is it possible to adjust the kickdown band on a 904 in an early A, or does the transmission need to be dropped?

Yes it is. Both bands can be adjusted. If you are having shifting issues, first check will be the kickdown linkage at the carb/firewall.

Im not having any issues. I just figured I'd adjust the bands while the pan is off the car. The kickdown band looks like it would be pretty tough to access without dropping the trans. But you can get to it okay? That's good to hear.

Yes it is. Both bands can be adjusted. If you are having shifting issues, first check will be the kickdown linkage at the carb/firewall.

My 904 doesn't go into 3rd still. I was still looking for a place to rebuild it but would like to try to service it or adjust the bands myself first to see. I temporarily disconnected the kickdown linkage at the carb and it didn't make a difference.

When adjusting it, my book calls for a special spring to pull the linkage forward at the transmission and hold it there while you adjust it at the carb.

If it won't go into 3rd at any speed, it's not a band adjustment(unless it's locked down tight on the drum) or kickdown linkage. Probably something stuck or plugged in the valve body. A pressure test procedure should pinpoint the problem.

My 904 doesn't go into 3rd still. I was still looking for a place to rebuild it but would like to try to service it or adjust the bands myself first to see. I temporarily disconnected the kickdown linkage at the carb and it didn't make a difference.

When adjusting it, my book calls for a special spring to pull the linkage forward at the transmission and hold it there while you adjust it at the carb.

As stated by cudamark, the bad adj. should not be causing the 3rd gear prob. The kickdown does require a return spring and MUST be functional or the trans will be on its way out sooner then later. Check the linkage from the kickdown to the trans lever. This lever (on trans)should have some spring to it. It all works on throttle pressure & it has to be right. Hope this makes sense.

The special spring to hold the lever forward while setting up the linkage isn't absolutely necessary. You can use about anything to hold that lever forward temporarily. In fact I found one of my hammer handles fit perfect between that lever and one of the cooler lines.
As for band adjustments, one is outside the case and the other is inside the pan. The one outside can be a booger without the right little wrenches. The one inside is better left alone.

No 3rd gear usually means front clutches are shot. Common failure with worn out TF. No amount of band adjustment will help.

No 3rd gear usually means front clutches are shot. Common failure with worn out TF. No amount of band adjustment will help.
If it actually shifts into 3rd and slips....yes.....clutches, but I got the impression it doesn't shift out of 2nd. If that is the case, the clutches don't come into play yet.

The special spring to hold the lever forward while setting up the linkage isn't absolutely necessary. You can use about anything to hold that lever forward temporarily. In fact I found one of my hammer handles fit perfect between that lever and one of the cooler lines.
As for band adjustments, one is outside the case and the other is inside the pan. The one outside can be a booger without the right little wrenches. The one inside is better left alone.
No transmission service is complete without adjusting both bands. I've never had a problem doing them.....even on an early A-body. You will need the specs for your particular model, a good inch-pound torque wrench, and a square drive socket to fit the adjuster bolt. Everything else is pretty standard stuff.

If it won't go into 3rd at any speed, it's not a band adjustment(unless it's locked down tight on the drum) or kickdown linkage. Probably something stuck or plugged in the valve body. A pressure test procedure should pinpoint the problem.

Yeah it doesn't go into 3rd at any speed. I was hoping that maybe it is something like this that can fixed so I don't have get it rebuilt right now. I wish I knew more about how these work! I have a couple books but some of it looks tricky or that I would need to find a special tool. Thanks, I've read about that pressure test, just need to learn how exactly.

Thanks, yeah I'll see if I can get something to hold it.

If it actually shifts into 3rd and slips....yes.....clutches, but I got the impression it doesn't shift out of 2nd. If that is the case, the clutches don't come into play yet.

Doesn't go into 3rd at all. Just stays in 2nd. It does slip a lot in reverse but not in 1st or 2nd. I wrote this in another thread a while back and came to the conclusion that it needs a rebuild.

BUT, the more I read, there can be many other causes such as, fluid level (checked that already) aerated fluid, gear linkage adjustment (re-adjusted that already), low-reverse band out of adjustment, valve body malfunction or leak, front clutch servo sticking, oil pump, and so on. So just want to learn as much as I can before getting a rebuild right off the bat.

No transmission service is complete without adjusting both bands. I've never had a problem doing them.....even on an early A-body. You will need the specs for your particular model, a good inch-pound torque wrench, and a square drive socket to fit the adjuster bolt. Everything else is pretty standard stuff.

Yup maybe 'ol faithful just needs a good trans service. I appreciate everyones help. I haven't serviced a trans before and was originally gonna just change the filter and fluid but waiting until I learn how to do all the extra adjustments too.

Im not having any issues. I just figured I'd adjust the bands while the pan is off the car. The kickdown band looks like it would be pretty tough to access without dropping the trans. But you can get to it okay? That's good to hear.

mopowers, I didn't mean to bombard your thread. In the same boat and wanted to see if adjusting the trans would help as well. Did you get yours figured out?

-
Back