Bank or Credit Union?

-

poisondart64

Reaction score
Just curious...do you use a bank or a credit union for your "banking" needs?

I'll start...credit union.

well I used to use a credit union but I had to change to a bank to get my home loan because my c.u. didn't offer first time home loans but I still prefer the c.u.

credit union, it was convenient when i worked for the post office, they were in our building

Credit union, it was originally chosen for me by my parents a while back, they opend it for me back before i had a job and understood the concept of money, but also, if i ever need to take out a loan or anything like that, the interest rates are suppose to be lower because they credit unions are meant to be non-profit and run by the community for the community.

and yes, i am in high school and that was my definition i learned last year.

I bank. First job out of college was there so they open you up an account so that they can hold on to your money, even after they have given it to you. Never changed in over 20 years. They have ATMs in all the convenience stores around town also.

Bank. But once I find gainful employment again and the wife and I can start thinking of the finances again without the tight budgeting of month to month bills we'll be looking at the credit union through her work for the better rates on short and long term CDs, IRAs, and savings accounts. We'll keep the bank, though, for bills and convenience of ATMs.

I use both.

I've been with Navy Federal Credit Union for over 16 years. Opened up an Account prior to leaving Parris Island based on a recommendation from the drill instructors.

bank mostly & have a CU account-- the bank is more convienent/atm's- etc..
I cannot remember the last time I actually set foot in either instituition. I know about the not-for-profit of a credit union-- but let's just say that's a nice slogan. Lawrence

I've got one of each, credit card, checking better at cu, loans better at major bank.

I do both, but CU's can be frustrating.........Many of them, for reasons unknown to me except cutting costs, do NOT allow you to make payments on your credit cards by electronic means from OTHER accounts or sources......They require that you make a TRANSFER from your existing credit union accounts.

Some guys use CU's because of their good rates on the cards, and use a bank for their regular checking and banking...BUT this limitation puts a real fly in the ointment, so to speak.

(My CU Visa is 8.99%.....not bad by today's standards)

Thanks for the input guys and gals. I work at a credit union now, but have worked for banks as well and just wanted to see some feedback on where my FABO buddies do their "banking". Nice to see so many credit union responses. My theory is go where you feel you get the best deal and they treat you like a person...not a number or a profit center.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

But if you are operating a small business..I have had 3 or 4 over that last 20 years, the fees are much better at the CU.

I also operate an account for our school 's band program and we are not charrged anything except I believe, to buy our cheques..no service charge..and it has been awhile..no fee for bounced cheques..and we do get those..

ian.

Credit Union. Used to use a bank but the banks have become thieves with their extra charges for anything and everything.

Credit Union though I do have money in banks.

-
Back