Barn find 72 340 duster

-
Very nice weekend to get some things done to the Duster. The body has seen a lot of ground moisture so the front suspension was a pain in the ***. wanted to get the k member and suspension off as a unit so I could pressure wash and clean to search for inspection marks. One k member bolts took me forever to get out and after it was out it became clear as to why. I am going to assume that on the assembly line with little time the worker who was putting the rear passenger side k member bolt it appears to have crossed threaded it. Solution? run it on in anyhow. Threads were all jacked up. Old mechanic friend of mine use to joke" stripped threads are better that a lock washers" anyhow, all that is left is the hard lines, brakes and gas.

Attachments

• hood for sale 445.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 874
  • hood for sale 447.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 781
  • hood for sale 448.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 803
a few inspection marks appeared on the passenger side lower control arm saddle for the torsion bar adjuster. Haven't cleaned it yet, but appears to be TB-3 basin blue in color

Attachments

• hood for sale 450.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 776
Ive read that all the inspection marks were done with the same paints used to paint the cars. Hemi Orange, Rallye Red, Top Banana, Sublime etc. If they were spraying it that year it would be used for inspection marks

Also this is the first time i have seen this inspection marks. White paint stick driver's side and passenger side two vertical streaks on both sides of the upper control arm mounting point. To help this show up and to document them for myself, I used the same type paint stick to make them show up in the picture. Not on parts car or on Dave Moore's low mileage original. Dave's
car and this one are one day apart on fender tag build code.

Attachments

• hood for sale 460.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 775
  • hood for sale 458.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 777
Ive read that all the inspection marks were done with the same paints used to paint the cars. Hemi Orange, Rallye Red, Top Banana, Sublime etc. If they were spraying it that year it would be used for inspection marks

My experience has been the same. all yellows and greens I have seen through the years were the same as body paints

Here is the passenger side torsion bar. I know many of you guys will already know this but for the guys that don't know, you can see the heavy paint drips on the bar. They were dipped in thick black paint and dried horizontal on a rack. they were left to drip dry. one blue paint mark identifying passenger side t-bar and blue paint for 340 bar.

Attachments

• hood for sale 452.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 777
  • hood for sale 454.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 773
  • hood for sale 456.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 763
Details,details,details.....great job so far Tim:thumblef: Those white vertical inspection marks may very well be on my car also, it's just that the undercoating may be hiding them. Good to see the car just about stripped of parts and such....progress!:D

Tim! Those inspection marks, can it be for the under coating of the inner fender or the markings was for where the bolts for the K-frame goes into the frame? Great progress on your car.

Heres another 72 Duster with the chalk marks

Attachments

• 72 duster chalk mark.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 708
Tim! Those inspection marks, can it be for the under coating of the inner fender or the markings was for where the bolts for the K-frame goes into the frame? Great progress on your car.

My guess, and it is just a guess, that it is a inspector's mark for control arms bolt installed correctly and, or, ball joint cotter pins installed. less likely cottor pins. I have seen a few E and B bodies that had yellow paint on cotter pin location.

you are right,it absolutely does interest me. I have been on this site a few time and it is great reading fo r anyone who restores cars to this level or wants to. I still own a set of these paint markers from many years ago. This info I have known for years but try to
Not come off on my thread as a know it all. T bars and parts manufactured off site were color coded for the factory workers. Two stripes on drivers's side one on pass. Side on torsion bars were to help the assembly workers to install. Blue paint for 340 cars, and maybe 318 cars. This is the first a boby I have done to this level, so the marks on the bodyare unkown, such as the two white stripes on body by control arms. The front supsn. And the paint code under the pinion on the rearend are the same as I have seen on the e bodies and many b bodies I have done years ago

Also this is the first time i have seen this inspection marks. White paint stick driver's side and passenger side two vertical streaks on both sides of the upper control arm mounting point. To help this show up and to document them for myself, I used the same type paint stick to make them show up in the picture. Not on parts car or on Dave Moore's low mileage original. Dave's
car and this one are one day apart on fender tag build code.

Ok Tim, To prove you are onto something in that area I am posting a pic of my passenger side wheel well area that until just today I had previously overlooked....the same white marks are still present in exactly the same location as your car...now to uncover the story behind them:book:

020-1.jpg

This is the drivers side..white mark is very visable to the right but the left or forward mark is a little elusive in this photograph....

021-1.jpg

you are right,it absolutely does interest me. I have been on this site a few time and it is great reading fo r anyone who restores cars to this level or wants to. I still own a set of these paint markers from many years ago. This info I have known for years but try to
Not come off on my thread as a know it all. T bars and parts manufactured off site were color coded for the factory workers. Two stripes on drivers's side one on pass. Side on torsion bars were to help the assembly workers to install. Blue paint for 340 cars, and maybe 318 cars. This is the first a boby I have done to this level, so the marks on the bodyare unkown, such as the two white stripes on body by control arms. The front supsn. And the paint code under the pinion on the rearend are the same as I have seen on the e bodies and many b bodies I have done years ago

Funny, I haven't received one call back as of yet...guess they are waiting on a better car.....:-\"

Thanks Dave. As close as we both went over your car i am suprised it was missed. Your paint marks are faded but in the same location as my car. Would love to know what they are for....

Around 1992 or so Rich Berlisk, John Grinwald, and Resto Rick Krueziger restored a 71 Demon 340 to a concours correct level. The Sept 97 issue of Mopar muscle has an indepth article on the undercarriage details of that Demon. Heres a pic of the cover. Well worth having to assist in your resto. Its the only info I've been able to find on that Demon and its resto details.

My torsion bars had white grease marks on the bars in addition to the blue paint blotches. Its thought the white meant the rear clips had been install on the bars?? The blue botches designated 340 bars and as you stated one splotch for the drivers, 2 for the pass.

Attachments

• Mag.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 563
Around 1992 or so Rich Berlisk, John Grinwald, and Resto Rick Krueziger restored a 71 Demon 340 to a concours correct level. The Sept 97 issue of Mopar muscle has an indepth article on the undercarriage details of that Demon. Heres a pic of the cover. Well worth having to assist in your resto. Its the only info I've been able to find on that Demon and its resto details.

My torsion bars had white grease marks on the bars in addition to the blue paint blotches. Its thought the white meant the rear clips had been install on the bars?? The blue botches designated 340 bars and as you stated one splotch for the drivers, 2 for the pass.

Tim! If you want that magazine I have it for you for free. It's an excellent story and there are alot of just 70-72 A-body stuff in it. Just let me know.

-
Back