barn or garage?

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
In a quandary here. Our 95 acres is begging for another building. I have a meeting Friday re: 130yo timberfarme barn structure 52 x 62 to move to this property. what do you all think?
Should we save a frame? or build a stick?
because of the age, no flaming allowed!

=P~

Barn with a loft/man cave.... Couch, radio/tv, mini fridge and a space heater. That's my dream atleast.

Does is come with a print or is it piece by number? A print/layout would help greatly, or atleast some type of dimensions. Are you pouring a slab for it?

I found a house here with a 6 stall horse(car) barn, my plan was to do wood floors with linoleum. But the damn thing sold before I got my ducks in a row.

If the price is right, I'd go for the old barn. Price it aganst lumber, not a finished building, because you will, most likely just end up using it as raw material. It is hard and expensive to get full-dimensional lumber, especially in the massive sizes used 100+ years ago.

Your biggest cost is going to be moving it. My garage was moved from another house that was being torn down for redevelopment. If you move it, I can give you the name of a guy that is top notch and a good price. The beauty of having it moved, is that you have an "immediate" garage. I like the thoughts of building my own, but I always take too much on. My garage has been here for 5 years and Im still trying to get it finished.
Is the barn yours or are you looking at buying it??

I put up a steel arch building. Best for price 30X70X20-was around 6K and took a few weekends to put up with one friend. That was 20 years ago but still cheapest then

I had a 30 X 30 wood barn with a nice upstairs level......sold the house and bought a new house with a 3-car garage. It ain't workin'. I'm waiting and saving up to build another barn out back.....there's just no substitute! That 2nd level was a warm, dry place to store parts.

After I sold my old "barn house", a lot of good parts had to go outside (at my new place) where they eventually got ruined. :( Barns rule.

Currently I have been working on my boss man's old barn. It has three stables, hay room, loft, and storage. He bought a house that was built in 1860 and it has the barn on the property. The barn was relocated there on that property 100 yrs ago (or close). So the actual age of the barn is unknown. It has timbers in it that are 16"x16"x16"x16"... LOL It was in a town that is 30 or so miles from where it is sitting now. How they moved such a beast back then I have no idea. There is some areas of beams that are petrified. Also a fellow couldn't get past the war he was in WWI (I believe thats what they said) and he hung himself in that barn. Creepy...

My job is to rip off the old siding and replace it with rough cut siding form a saw mill. My boss still wants the old look but also have better weather protect that what it had. One thing that has been a killer is the barn was not plumbed back up so it is out of square. This is a nightmare trying to put siding up and it look like it should. I have had to fir out the corners to make it look good. Long story. If you do get it moved just make sure you have it squared up and plumb in each corner. This can be done with temporary bracing until you start putting the siding back on or whatever you are going to use to cover it. So it would be best to install the bracing on the inside of the barn. Therefore it won't be in the way once the siding goes up. I've also built a loft door, and two sliding doors for the barn.

Of course since you're starting afresh I would recommend a footing being dug, rebar installed, and concrete. Have the barn located over the footings (still setting on house moving equipment) then let the block mason come in. The house moving guy will take it from there because he more than likely has done this a time or two.

Just make sure it's level, square, and plumb!! Makes things easier on the old carpenter! LOL

A metal building will be cheaper, a barn will have miles more style. Hellion and 4flats are offering good advice, have a plan, think of the timbers as lumber. Unless it's like 4speedragtop says, and you're moving it in one piece. If that's the case, have the video camera ready.

The barn frame is down, tagged and blueprints are done. At this time a steel building or coverall type is our last choice. Our idea, if it's not outrageous money wise, is to have a drive/walk out lower level, being poured icf material and the barn re-constructed on top and available for conversion into a home if someone would want to. It's larger than we need, but we would be saving a well built, very old (for Canada anyway) frame and barn conversions are a bit of the rage now! At any rate, the land is spectacular and needs an outbuilding of some sort. lol, I need it! Still have to get it by the conservation planning/ town planning departments. We are on a significant, sensitive, environmental lot which they are not opposed to the idea, just more leery than a regular lot. At the end of the day, if the cost of this is crazy, than maybe a doghouse will do?

I like the idea of saving a well built very old barn
its kind of like asking should I restore this old mopar or buy a new honda

Hey Martin, you mentioned icf....is there a benefit to that other than going either poured slab walls or block?? I know the increased r value with the icf, other than that any other benefit??

We had an icf in our log house and the basement, albiet a walkout, wasn't as damp as a block/slab basement. It was dry. Will update on the meeting when I get a chance.
Happy New Years to all!

Currently I have been working on my boss man's old barn. It has three stables, hay room, loft, and storage. He bought a house that was built in 1860 and it has the barn on the property. The barn was relocated there on that property 100 yrs ago (or close). So the actual age of the barn is unknown. It has timbers in it that are 16"x16"x16"x16"... LOL It was in a town that is 30 or so miles from where it is sitting now. How they moved such a beast back then I have no idea. There is some areas of beams that are petrified. Also a fellow couldn't get past the war he was in WWI (I believe thats what they said) and he hung himself in that barn. Creepy...

My job is to rip off the old siding and replace it with rough cut siding form a saw mill. My boss still wants the old look but also have better weather protect that what it had. One thing that has been a killer is the barn was not plumbed back up so it is out of square. This is a nightmare trying to put siding up and it look like it should. I have had to fir out the corners to make it look good. Long story. If you do get it moved just make sure you have it squared up and plumb in each corner. This can be done with temporary bracing until you start putting the siding back on or whatever you are going to use to cover it. So it would be best to install the bracing on the inside of the barn. Therefore it won't be in the way once the siding goes up. I've also built a loft door, and two sliding doors for the barn.

Of course since you're starting afresh I would recommend a footing being dug, rebar installed, and concrete. Have the barn located over the footings (still setting on house moving equipment) then let the block mason come in. The house moving guy will take it from there because he more than likely has done this a time or two.

Just make sure it's level, square, and plumb!! Makes things easier on the old carpenter! LOL

Ax, when I buy some property, I'm going to hire you. 'Nough said.

Our meeting went well. Our ideas seem doable, so for now its waiting for the conservation green light, then it will be onto getting the towns green light. there is 3 frames available, but I think this one will be the one. It is 52 x62, 22 x 52 foot open space end rooms. The frame is complete and in good shape. It was built by a timberframe family for a family member, so I am hoping it will pass the also needed struc. engineering side of this ( although not likely). It stood for 130 years, but today is not yesterday! At this point in time we may just put a slab down and forget the house idea, but that at this moment! lol, We are stuck in limbo waiting now!

Attachments

• noname.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 305
-
Back