Barracuda dash install

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
Finally getting to put the dash together and ready for install. Do I connect the wiring to the dash components while the dash is on the work bench, or do I install the wiring to the body and connect it to the dash when I raise the dash into “bolt down” position?

I hook the wiring harness to the car first. Much easier to see that way. Put some blue tape on the metal dash frame and the steering column. to keep from scraping it up.

Edit: Are you talking about installing just the instrument cluster, or the whole dash assembly?

The entire dash is out and taken apart. Complete tear down, repaint and renovation.

Steering column is currently out.

I have never done it that way, only removed the instrument cluster, so my earlier advice is probably not applicable.

I assembled the whole thing as a unit. Gauges and harness in dash frame, stick assembled frame on the two lower bolts, lift and good to go.

I assembled the whole thing as a unit. Gauges and harness in dash frame, stick assembled frame on the two lower bolts, lift and good to go.
I plan on that, but what about the wiring? Did you have the wiring connected to the car, and then connected it to the dash, or did you wire the dash on the workbench, then install the dash And wiring in the car?

What about your glove box? Did you connect it to the dash before or after installing the dash?

Attach the wiring to everything in the dash fitting it in the rubber coated hooks in the dash frame. Then when you set the dash in place you plug the bulkhead in at the firewall, and connect minor things like the power feed wire for the heater box, body harness at LH kick panel, brakelight wires, defroster ducts etc. The factory built up the dash frames with all the gages and wired them up before installation. It's the easiest way to assemble this into the car. Think like an assembly line.

What's easier loading the dash into the car assembled and wired, then plug in a few connections afterwards like the heater power wire, and firewall bulkhead connector and stuff like body harness at the kick panel etc? Or loading the dash into the car and then laying on your back on the floor and feeding the harness into the car?

Set the wired up dash assembly with gages installed on the lower 2 mount bolts, and while its tilted back with somebody holding it for you, connect the power feed wire to the heater box wiring, and bulkhead connector to the hole in the fire wall, connect heater box cables, and defroster ducting to the vents, then rotate the dash in place and install the upper mount screws, and tighten the lower screws.

Last edited:
Attach the wiring to everything in the dash fitting it in the rubber coated hooks in the dash frame. Then when you set the dash in place you plug the bulkhead in at the firewall, and connect minor things like the power feed wire for the heater box, body harness at LH kick panel, brakelight wires, defroster ducts etc. The factory built up the dash frames with all the gages and wired them up before installation. It's the easiest way to assemble this into the car. Think like an assembly line.

What's easier loading the dash into the car assembled and wired, then plug in a few connections afterwards like the heater power wire, and firewall bulkhead connector and stuff like body harness at the kick panel etc? Or loading the dash into the car and then laying on your back on the floor and feeding the harness into the car?

Set the wired up dash assembly with gages installed on the lower 2 mount bolts, and while its tilted back with somebody holding it for you, connect the power feed wire to the heater box wiring, and bulkhead connector to the hole in the fire wall, connect heater box cables, and defroster ducting to the vents, then rotate the dash in place and install the upper mount screws, and tighten the lower screws.
Thats how the assembly line did it. The speedometer cable is captured under one strap beneath the car. On the assembly line the speedo cable was pulled longer into the cabin. After connected and shoved through the firewall grommet as dash was moved into place a worker beneath the car would secure it under that strap.

I forgot about connecting the speedometer lol. Your parking brake is installed before the dash, and lifted into place and one nut tightened after dash is in place.

And if it has a "performance gage", attach the hose to the gage before the dash is in place. Very difficult to access otherwise. On my 67 the hose follows the harness and used the shared the retaining clips.

This is all assuming you still have the windshield out........correct? Otherwise, you're in for some fun. (not!)

This is all assuming you still have the windshield out........correct? Otherwise, you're in for some fun. (not!)
Windshield, and everything else is out. Trying to get my ducks in a row to put it all back in.

-
Back