Barracuda fender clearance for wide tires

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an RMS suspension and 275's up front on my '67 Barracuda. I need to make some clearance for the tire in the front of the wheel well as it touches the bottom of the fender when turning. I'm sure there is a good way to do this, could anyone share some methods?

In the picture, I think everything between the tape and wheel needs to be trimmed, but I want to keep the part the wheel molding mounts to for strength and molding.

Thanks,
Steve

IMG_7869.jpg

With a 275, your gonna have to whack a lot more off that than your tapeline. I believe a 215 fits, and a 225 will take a slight trim and reshape.

If you plan to cut the body wouldn't be easier to make a fender brace from the inside to push that fender corner out a little???

Extend the front lower fender brace by 1". Many have had success doing this, without cutting into the fender and doing bodywork and paint.

Extend the front lower fender brace by 1". Many have had success doing this, without cutting into the fender and doing bodywork and paint.

I'll try that. Actually have to see if I have any braces.

Thanks!

With a 275, your gonna have to whack a lot more off that than your tapeline. I believe a 215 fits, and a 225 will take a slight trim and reshape.

Depends... 275-what? Need the aspect ratio to determine the diameter, and the diameter is the problem with this interference point. But I would tend to agree... he needs more than 3/8 inch of clearance there. 225-60-15s may need a tiny trim, as noted, but his tires look like 275-40-17, maybe?

The slick way to do it would be to take a very shallow tapering wedge out of the outer surface a short distance in from the rollback flange, then bend the flange back to meet it and weld the seam. But it would need to be done artistically to maintain a neat curve to the opening. Might be easier to just cut it away as needed, then weld the flange back onto the edge once you've got the shape right.

@Treblig: I don't think pushing out does anything to fix the problem (unless you pushed it out 3-4 inches, which would be ugly even possible) — it needs to clear the tire at full lock with the suspension loaded and unloaded. The lip needs to be clearanced in the forward direction.

Thanks!
I've made braces to push out fenders and even 1/4 panels before. You can use any stiff material. 1/2 X 1/2 angle iron, 3/8" rod with the ends flattened. It it doesn't come out the way you want it to look you can cut it off after the fact!

275/35/18 is 25.6" tall. Don't have to turn the wheel too far before it hits.

I was told this would happen and need to modify it. I don't mind cutting and welding, but a little concerned about doing it where it will show, don't want to learn by doing it wrong.

Thanks!

Barracuda’s don’t have those lower fender braces.

@mosleyme has 275/35/18’s on his barracuda. The fender modification he did is here

1968 Barracuda Front Fender Modification for 26" Tires

Basically you take a pie shape out and weld it back up.

Last edited:
You’re going to need a really high backspace rim too with the RMS front suspension. Those move the track out some. Forgot how much..

need to cut or fold 5” x 3” triangle at front fender lip. Maybe a little less, but jot much

upload_2022-4-20_22-27-2.jpeg

upload_2022-4-20_22-27-27.jpeg

upload_2022-4-20_22-27-48.jpeg

upload_2022-4-20_22-28-11.jpeg

upload_2022-4-20_22-28-30.jpeg

upload_2022-4-20_22-28-55.jpeg

5X3 @autoxcuda ?!?!?! That looks huge! I think I'll make some measurements and trim back slowly. I don't want to cut too much off.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you updated.

-
Back