Barracuda speedometer removal

-

tekslk

Reaction score
Just bought a 150 speedo for my 67 notch, what are the steps to remove the old one, I know how to remove the cable.

Besides getting stitched up for cuts/nicks etc from trying to remove from underneath and with bezel in, you would have to remove the entire inst bezel.

Removing the entire bezel and doing it is much easier then doing it from underneath on a Barracuda. No matter what you have to remove everything to get to the speedometer face anyway.

....and it's bolted to the heater control area! You will also need to drop the column down some, and most likely unplug most everything before removing it, and the amp gauge has nuts on the wires! Fun fun fun!!! Geof

well ok,

disconnect battery.
remove cover from bottom of steering column, 4 screws
removes 3 bolts that retain column to bracket
remove two slide knobs from heater control (allen head)
remove radio knobs
remove two nuts holding radio to bezel
remove knob from wiper sw, remove nut. let sw stay.
remove headlight sw pull handle, push down button from behind to release, remove nut from h-light sw
remove reset knob for tripmeter unscrews counterclockwise, might have to hold shaft.
remove nut from flasher sw
from under
disconnect speedo cable
disconnect 3 prong connector from PCB on left side
disconnect connector from PCB on right side (main)
remove vac line from vac gauge if equipped, tach wires etc.
in front again
remove phillips fillister screws from bezel
pull dash forward
disconnect connector from heater sw
disconnect two 3/8 bolt holding heater control from bezel frame
remove two 3/8 bolts from amp gauge

while pulling down on steering wheel to drop column a few inches remove bezel (if it doesnt want to drop enough. remove 3 bolts securing column to firewall.

with bezel out of car remove all 5/16 in bolts securing the bezel to the frame
remove bezel from frame
remove 2 flat head screws securing the speedo to the frame
remove speedo.

reverse order to reinstall.

Anybody have a schematic? Ive done the amp gage by pass. Dtopping the column no problem, not familiar with the heat control area, No a/c

pretty self explanatory when you get there and see it. If it is still an issue let me know I will photo it for you.

Ok so this isnt a 10 min job I guess I will wait for the weekend. Thanks Rocky

it is the hardest a-body bezel to remove. I can do them in 30-60 mins out and in but I have done a lot of them. I would allow someone having good basic skills 4 hours the first time.

-
Back