Baseball Fans (Best Player Ever)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Are there any hardcore baseball fans among my fellow Mopar enthusiasts? If so who is the best player to ever play the game in your opinion? I feel Ken Griffey Jr. is the best there was and the best there ever will be.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0RyLMGqNg0"]YouTube - Farewell Ken Griffey Jr[/ame]

Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man on the face of the Earth, was the best baseball player pre-1960. I would then have to go with Pete Rose followed by Mickey Mantle. Best modern baseball player? A-Rod because of his age and skill.

I bet you can't guess what my favorite team is. :-D

Glenn Hubbard
Bob Horner
Dale Murphy
Terry Pendleton
Hank Aaron
John Smoltz
Greg Maddox
Pete Rose

I loved baseball when daddy was still alive. After he died, I just lost interest. I can still remember probably about 1985 we were at a Macon Peaches game at Luther Williams field in Macon. We saw something together that is very rare. A tripple unassisted putout. A sharp line drive was hit and the 2nd baseman made an impossible jump and caught it for out one. Runner on 2nd was going for third and the 2nd baseman tagged him for out number two. Then he ran over and stepped on 2nd base to get the runner out coming from first for out three. It happened so fast that when the teams started switching places, the crowd was hollerin there were only two outs. The umpire had to stop the game, get on the mike and explain to the crowd what just happend....but me and daddy knew all along. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Glenn Hubbard
Bob Horner
Dale Murphy
Terry Pendleton
Hank Aaron
John Smoltz
Greg Maddox
Pete Rose

I loved baseball when daddy was still alive. After he died, I just lost interest. I can still remember probably about 1985 we were at a Macon Peaches game at Luther Williams field in Macon. We saw something together that is very rare. A tripple unassisted putout. A sharp line drive was hit and the 2nd baseman made an impossible jump and caught it for out one. Runner on 2nd was going for third and the 2nd baseman tagged him for out number two. Then he ran over and stepped on 2nd base to get the runner out coming from first for out three. It happened so fast that when the teams started switching places, the crowd was hollerin there were only two outs. The umpire had to stop the game, get on the mike and explain to the crowd what just happend....but me and daddy knew all along. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Dale Murphy was "the man" in Atlanta for a long time. Did he make the HOF?

Glenn Hubbard
Bob Horner
Dale Murphy
Terry Pendleton
Hank Aaron
John Smoltz
Greg Maddox
Pete Rose

I actually made a similar play in a softball game back in the 80`s. There were runners on first and second, the ball was popped up and both runners took off running. I caught the ball then tagged out the first base runner and stepped on second base to complete an unassisted triple play. You`re right, plays like that do not happen but once in a lifetime.

Maybe not the greatest player of all time but I really liked Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles. A well rounded player that was always ready to play!

The Braves used to be an amazing team. But in today's baseball, money is everything. Which is why I only like the Yanks because of the legacy left by Gehrig, DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Maris, etc.

And I forgot to add Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige to my list. Had the Negro League been integrated into the Majors, Paige would have dominated and went straight to the top.

And my father sends a letter to the Commissioner each year to reinstate Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame. It is a shame, as they still haven't changed anything (and can't, thanks to Commissioner Kennisaw Mountain Landis, the douche).

...........Hes not my fav, but how about Mr October.......the big red machine is my fav team........Johnny Bench was great..............kim.......

Very hard to say who the best all time was. I have a few names to add.

Ted Williams
Rod Carew
Ricky Henderson

All very good at what they did and good all round players. There are not very many modern day players I would put on the list. And A-Rod is not even close to being the best all time. To many errors in the field and dumb as a fence post. One modern day player that I think is among the best all time is Albert Pujols.

Jack

Good thread. Hopefully it stays that way because this is truly a subjective list and something that baseball fans will argue 'til the end of time.

Mine: Babe Ruth. Not just a home run hitter in a dead ball era, but one helluva pitcher.

His status as a superstar back in the day, then combined with Murderer's Row, helped bring baseball back after the "Black Sox" scandal that damn near killed the game.

Just my thoughts on this, not a BIG Baseball fan don't watch much but when I did out of the new age of baseball players and who have done a lot for the game as a role model per-say Griffey Jr. is one if not the best, look at what happened with the players that were playing when he was, his stancher never changed I might some day stand corrected but I don't think you'll ever find out that he was taking anything to enhance himself that's raw talent he had. I think all of those guys should be band from the hall of fame, I think that what they did is far worse than any of the ones that are rite now band from the Hall, just my two cents. And I'm glad to be one that has the memory of going to Crossly Field before it got tore down, and I do agree that Johny Bench was the best catcher in the game and still is. As of Pete Rose well lot of people hate him but he was a great player and can't denie that he did give a 110 % at the game. Don't really no if I have a favorite player.

Michael Jack Schmidt was the best in my book.:thumrigh:

Attachments

• frt-16phsch46520schmidt1 (Custom).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 246
PUJOLS and thats thats! His career is not finished(and hopefully not is St. Louis I hope and pray they get the deal done) but he by far will be the best ever. Every time he walks on the feild you are watching history! I say this because its not just what he does at the plate but he is a gold glove deffender and a true student of the game. In every aspect of the game he has what it takes to lead and change the face of any franchise. I watched him go 1st to 3rd on a sacrafice bunt! Who does that? ALBERT FREAKIN PUJOLS DOES! He will be the best player most of us will see in our life time. I tell my kids to just take it all in cause hes the best!

Aaron,mays,mantle, seaver throws to piazza, schmidt,ripkin,sandburg,mc covey, and i got to see them play

Very few have hit the ball out of the park Kirk Gibson would be one of my favorites along with Mantle, but Griffey Jr. has the sweetest swings ever not power just sweet. Then there was Al Kaline who could throw you out from the fence. and one of the last knuckler Phil Nekro. One could really go on and on But I do agree Pete Rose Played like a little boy in the allstars "with his heart" nuff said Ilike ball and have been a coach for more than 30 yrs Tee ball/little league and Babe Ruth. Love those Kids We signed up today for my third generation Tee baller.

Best, I think is a relative term...but my favorites would be, one of the dominate pitchers of the game, Nolan Ryan. Pure hitter; I would say Pete Rose, Tony Gywnn & of course Ted Williams. Power hitter; Ken Griffey, Jr (so much fun to watch & loved the game), Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth. Clutch hitter; Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki & Albert Pujols

best? is like asking everyone's opinion on a piece of art. There has been and will be alot of great players.

but, I possibly think Roberto Clemente could have grown into a great player if he lived to see the end of his career.

Best Player to Ever play the game?
By default can't mention baseball without thing about "The Babe"
Best Player I ever seen play the game?
Tie - Pete Rose & Thurman Munson
Favorite Player to watch (Pure Natural Hitter) play the game?
Rocky Calavito hands down!

Babe Ruth....best player of his era without question

Barry Bonds...best hitter of the steroid era

Greg Maddux...great pitcher right in the middle of the steroid era, I excluded Randy Johnson due to his implication in using PED's

-
Back