Batten W2 Alloy Heads

-

douglas340

Reaction score
Hello All
I’m buying these heads of a guy at a good price, They will be going on a 408ci street/strip car if I get them, They came ported from Dick Landy industries in California.
He had them presser tested and said they were ok, One rocker pedestal has been repaired with a helical but all the others are good, They have
titanium valves & retainers with 10 degree locks, Valves are 2.065 in & 1.65 ex with triple valve springs.
Flow numbers are,
Lift intake exhaust

.100 62 52
. 200 128 109
. 300 185.2 156.6
. 400 236.1 189.7
. 500 278 201.8
. 600 302.7 209.9
.650 318.2 211.9
Now will these heads be ok for a weekend street/strip car or are they race only being they have titanium valves in them?
I will be running a 575 to 600 lift cam to make it fairly street able.
Has anybody used these heads or know of any faults about them?
I know they use of-set rockers, Im hopping to buy a set of a forum member. Any help would be great.
Cheers Doug
Some pic`s of the heads
DSC01304-1.jpg

DSC01300-1.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01307.jpg

where is the word batten on the heads at...most i have seen had batten on them even in the batten cat. that i have somewhere around here....i could be wrong ...the pros will know more then me but im just saying..mike

to be honest those like just like a set of w2's i got from barton back in 96/97 with the 2 bolt patt. for standerd headers or w2 headers... whats the #'s on them you might want to google that # and see..im not saying they are not batten im just saying most i have seen had batten on them someone could had milled that off..and i had a set of 2's look like them..they are good heads ..or you can go to shadydellspeedshop.com and he has a list of # for w2 heads and can give you some great advise on those as well ..

the aluminum w2 were either batten or diamonds...

Those have some pretty big intake runners for a street car. Don't know where you would find an intake to match. I think they came with oval intake ports??

a friend of mine has a set on a 408, and the engine did not have much for torque until he used a smaller cam...and put a dual plane intake on it...

he said he wish he would have put a set of edelbrocks on the car...as it is mostly street driven...

but the heads are pretty

Im just looking to run mid to low 11`s on the 1/4in a 2700 pound car. These heads with rockers will set me back $1800.00 Aust, I was looking at eddy heads, They will set me back $2800.00 new with rockers. What way would you go??
Cheers Doug

mid 11's in the 1/4 at 2700lbs you can do it with j heads or rhs heads you dont need that much head for that goal...my old 340 with mild j heads went 7.44 in the 1/8 mile thats in the 11's and the head only had a mild port job flow was 240@500 and 140@500 the ex was not that great used a 282xs comp cam with a 4.57 gear and 5000 verta in a 70 duster about 3200lbs with me in it..

with a 2700 lbs car...just about anything should run in the 11s...low 11s...lol

Get a set of RHS Heads from Brian at IMM. 1395.00 out the door and on a 408 you should be in the Low 10's with that light of a car easily. Dousterdoug is running a RHS headed stroker and it is heavier than that in the 10.30 ish range. His engine is in th 12 ish compression range though.

thats what im thinking i wish i had a 2700lb car.....but im budget minded so i like to save when i can...those heads will kill bottom end and have to be turned to work i think....with the goal he has 11's i wouldnt wast my time on them unless he plan to go faster at some point..

Get a set of RHS Heads from Brian at IMM. 1395.00 out the door and on a 408 you should be in the Low 10's with that light of a car easily. Dousterdoug is running a RHS headed stroker and it is heavier than that in the 10.30 ish range. His engine is in th 12 ish compression range though.

but he is located down under....

also i would think with a head of this degree you would want to mill the rocker stands off and use the blocks to get thing right...but if they did come from landy they my be correct on the alignment....

for a low 11s...when include the cost of the rockers/shafts/mounts,,,,,w2 intake....and w2 headers....

i would do the 408 with the rhs heads...and be alot of money ahead...

The shipping to Australia is the killer, To get two alloy heads over here is about $400, Steel heads im looking at $500 and thats the 4 to 6 weeks shipping.

They are Batten heads. This port design was copied by Indy. My Batten headed 428 made 693 @7200 using a 668 comp roller. It did not lack any low end torque on the street. A shop in pa. destroyed my My motor, heads and intake and had to replace them with indy heads. I have a intake for these heads I will sell. Like new, never cut, same ports ,it is a batten intake. I believe I have gaskets also but not sure. Make an offer, If you low ball me it will stay on the shelf. These intakes are hard to find for a 9.56 deck. Most were cut to a 9.00 for use on early modifies or sprints. Like I said the one I have left is never cut. I kept it to fit my indy heads under my hood but I got them to fit using their intake and lowering the air breather. I have pictures of my car with both sets. Indy and W-2 batten that are gone. I also still have the cast valve covers. The intake inthe pictures is not the intake forsale., as you can see it is on a 900 deck by how close the head is to the timing cover. The intake I have forsale is the same but for a 9.56 deck. If interested I can add a pic. of the intake.

Pictures of batten intake Attacment holes were enlarged ,for what reason I do not know. This has never been cut make an offer you pay the ride from 18038 USA

Are you building the rest of the engine to match the heads, or already have an engine built? What compression are the pistons? These are open chamber heads, and being aluminum dissipates heat much better than iron, you could actually lose power adding these heads. And since they have had the crap ported out of them, they may not be the best street head you could find.

The intakes ports measure 54 mm high and 35 mm wide, What is the port size on W5`s or indys.... anybody know??

The intakes ports measure 54 mm high and 35 mm wide, What is the port size on W5`s or indys.... anybody know??

They came in 2 port sizes IIRC. Small runner and large runner. The small runner I hve on a shelf. Theports are standard sized at a gasket match to the Fel-Pro's 340/360 gasket.

Those batten heads will make a S/B sing a mighty song. More displacement the better.

-
Back