battery cut off

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
OK so my uncle brought up a good point.He said that I should get a battery cut off switch,because these old cars are easy to still.JEGS has a cut off switch for 14.99 so I am going to get it.Is there another switch that will keep power to my radio so I don't lose all my settings.

!!! WHOA !!! Nellie!!!! Back up thar pardnor!!!

WHY do you think you need a disconnect switch?

Are you goin' racin? You have a trunk mount battery?

IF you could "keep your radio settings," then it ain't a disconnect switch, now are it?

How 'bout postin' a dad blamb PART NO. when ya come 'round here wi' tat kind'er stuff??

I don' see no cotton' pickin' foteennandeynan SWITCH here:

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Battery-Terminal-Disconnect-Switch/751650/10002/-1

So let's get serious. WHAT exactly are you trying to do?

WHERE is your battery mounted?

AND IF you ever plan to show up at a drag strip, there are several things that a switch must do in order to pass tech. You cannot simply disconnect the battery

1 It MUST be in the hot lead, not the ground

2 It MUST kill the engine, IE if you just disconnect the battery, it might just keep running on the charging system.

3 IT MUST meet location regulations, be easy to find, and MUST "PUSH'' (not pull) to shut off if it's a push/ pull type.

On the other hand, if you just want to disconnect the battery while in storage, there are more options.

15 bucks doesn't sound like much of a switch to me. Bear in mind that it has to be a good enough switch to carry heavy starter current WITHOUT burning, melting, causing voltage drop, etc.

And where do you propose to mount said disconnect? A halfway decent thief that can get past the locking steering column on a 73 duster can also open the hood and turn it back on. Do you plan on getting out of your car, opening the hood and flipping the switch everytime you park? If they are following you home to see where the car lives they will see you do this. If you run the disco into your interior you have very large guage constantly hot wires running through your firewall and that is a bad idea.

Now a better idea would be to learn how your cars electrical system works. Get an understanding of the principles of automotive wiring, electronic ignition in particular and wire a kill switch into your ignition system. It can be located inside the interior without danger. It could frustrate would be cars thieves (or auto technicians) without be easily found. There are several ways to install a kill switch into a 70's chrysler.

Splice igntion 1 wire under the dash, into a switch. Put a hiidden switch on nuetral trans wire.

I believe STILL means STEAL.

just put a coil bypass switch somewhere hidden. Car wont start of the coil is running straight to a ground.

I use the Battery Brain on all my cars. Some models have a remote that can act as an anti-theft in addition to keeping your battery from going too low to start. Most thieves wouldn't know what it is or how to bypass it, and wouldn't have the parts to do so anyway. A wireless alarm, like from Radio Shack, is good too, so you could surprise a thief in your driveway. Problem is they tend to trip on false radio signals, as mine did ~ once/wk when I suspect a trucker with a defective CB radio drove by.

To save the radio stations you could use a battery back up for an alarm. Gotta ask, what good will a disconnect switch do you? If a thief is standing near by watching you and sees you hit it what is the first thing they are gonna do when the car don't start? Takes a lot more than a disconnected battery to stop a thief. Somebody wants you car bad enough it is gonna be gone. Once goofed on a friend that used a Club on his junker.......pair of bolt cutters to the wheel......

On street cars a battery cut-off switch can be devastating if one were to shut the key off before the switch. The key will not shut the engine down so the alternator, battery, lights and whatever else will get more then you bargained for and therefore ruin your electrical system. But hey, its a good conversational piece as long as you have a triple A card..

Why not just run a direct 12v FUSED line from you battery to your radio, you just have to remember to turn the radio off.

Or, I purchased a a device for working on newer cars that uses a 9 volt battery and plugs into the power outlet (Cigar lighter) and prevents you from loosing the settings in the computers.

Alright. Look

FIRST that switch is a cheap POS. It has much more of a chance leaving YOU stranded than any thief.

SECOND. WHERE are you gonna put it? You HAVE to put it in the battery main cable, and all a thief has to do is open the hood, " 'mmmmmYAbro der be da litll bit of da old in/out/in out, ya?"

Turns the switch, hooks up the clippie to da ballast resistor, uses keys/ coin/ beer can ta short da start relay 'n drives off compleeeeeete misdas n' switcenmachinin 'n all like, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmKAY?

Here's a few anti theft ideas. Run an NOT obvious wire to the coil neg if ya don't have a tach.. IF you DO have a tach, splice into the tach lead going into the car, and put an "non obvious" switch up under the dash, down in the console, where-ever, so you can ground the tach wire.

IF you have an electric fuel pump, hide an extra switch to cut off the pump.

Install a relay triggered by the "ignition run" wire, and use the relay to run ignition, voltage regulator. Install a hidden switch in the ground leg of the relay

If you do NOT have an electric pump, install either a manual or electric fuel shut off hid somewhere. For electric, if you cannot find a shut off, just buy a 3 port "dual tank" switching valve and use two of the ports. Power it with a hidden switch in series with the ignition switch, so that both switches must be on to run the valve. Cap off the unused port

Like one of these:

3030229_bwd_fsv1z_pri_larg.jpg

The battery switch would be mounted in the car not under the hood.

When I get the new motor it will have a ele fuel pump

The battery switch would be mounted in the car not under the hood.

So 'xplain to me how you are going to do that? You are advocating taking a CHEAP POS switch and running EXTRA LENGTH battery cables???? into the car??? for the disconnect???

Consider going ahead and putting in the electric pump system NOW. Then you can activate it with a relay, fired off the ign switch, and run the ground for the relay coil off to a hidden switch. If you use a SPST switch (that is, 3 terminals) you can ground the center terminal of the switch, run one terminal to your tach wire, and the other terminal to your pump relay.

That way, when the pump won't run (relay not grounded) you have no fuel, AND with the switch in that same position, the tach wire won't allow the ignition system to fire, either.

FORGET THIS DISCONNECT.

Please tell me you are not taking out a slant six because someone told you smallblocks are better in everyway. If you have to ask about a disconnect switch then engine swaps will be out of your league. I am not saying that to be mean, we all had to start somewhere and we all learned along the way. My first engine swap I broke the front pump on the trans I was only 18 and thought I could handle it, clearly I was wrong. I had already helped restore many classics at that point and had lots of experience.

Give up on the disconnect for the battery, a properly setup ignition kill switch will serve you much better.

Thought i saw somewhere that Flaming River had a disconnect type switch, that had some type of "memory" on it (battery?). Maybe someone else could confirm/deny?

If your radio has presets that get erased when you lose power that means it is not original. A non original radio will likely have 2 power feeds. 1 is constant hot for memory (likely yellow), the other is switched hot(likely red) and that is the one that turns it on with the ignition. If you connect your memory wire to the battery side of the disconnect with an inline fuse (around 3 amps or so) it would do what you want. However, a battery disconnect is still not the best answer.

If you are leaving your car somewhere just stick your coil wire in your pocket. Just as effective.Most thieves arent carrying around a coil wire and not smart enough to use one of your plug wires and run on 7 cylinders.

If you are leaving your car somewhere just stick your coil wire in your pocket. Just as effective.Most thieves arent carrying around a coil wire and not smart enough to use one of your plug wires and run on 7 cylinders.

Friggin great!

like 10 seconds to completely disable the car and take the part with you.

Except that is when your terminal pulls off of the wire leaving you stranded. I suppose you could crimp it back on on the roadside.

-
Back