battery to starter/main cutoff switch Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart stock car. rules want a main cutoff on/off switch. battery on the floor on the passenger side fairly close to the driver. should I run the large cable from the battery positive down to the starter or should I run from the battery to the switch then from the switch to the starter (my preference) so I could then T off of the switch (it'll be in the dash) to a small on/off switch to feed the ign etc? otherwise I'll have to T from the starter or the battery to feed everything. thank you for your time. RRd

I like your second option best. I run one but it is outside where fuel cap is located. im not limited to any rules on the street..It also might be best to run a distribution block for the power and not a tee for future options of power if needed.

This is a good way to do it, per our member @crackedback.

CRACKEDBACK TRUNK WIRING.jpg

I do have a ford solenoid & not sure if cutoff switch is required to be outside
I feel sure it probably is required to be outside. If you have a wreck and God forbid are incapacitated, how can you turn it off? I would sure find out before I built it.

Wow. I am totally surprised at that. If the driver is out of it, the car still has power. Not good.

63 dart stock car. rules want a main cutoff on/off switch. battery on the floor on the passenger side fairly close to the driver. should I run the large cable from the battery positive down to the starter or should I run from the battery to the switch then from the switch to the starter (my preference) so I could then T off of the switch (it'll be in the dash) to a small on/off switch to feed the ign etc? otherwise I'll have to T from the starter or the battery to feed everything. thank you for your time. RRd
Have you considered mounting the battery more towards the rear of the car? Ballast is not allowed in that class. Most have the battery mounted in the trunk area to help with rear percentage.

the "Kill switch" is just the ignition on /off switch. A battery disconnect is not required.
If that's true, that surprises me even more.

Here is the NHRA rule. . Not for your class of racing

Battery Relocation ; If the battery is not in the stock location, and relocated to the trunk, for example, you must have an external cut-off switch on the back of the car which cuts off the electrical system and must also stop the car from running.

good info guys, much appreciated! I am going to locate the battery behind the drivers seat or in the trunk on the dr side. Rusty in your diagram what is the CD box?

Last edited:
1694309717927.jpeg

So, I think I would run the Battery + wire to the LINE side of the Master Disconnect. Then the LOAD side to a Buss in the engine compartment to feed the relays.

-
Back