BB Gear Ratios

-
I have 3.73's in my S60 behind a 500" stroker and 833 with 28" tires. They are coming out and 4.10's are going back in. I hate the taller gear. Biggest mistake I ever did with the car. Everyones opinion will be different though.

I have 3.73's in my S60 behind a 500" stroker and 833 with 28" tires. They are coming out and 4.10's are going back in. I hate the taller gear. Biggest mistake I ever did with the car. Everyones opinion will be different though.

I had 3:73's with a 26" tire when I wasn't using the GV overdrive and I could have lived with it. Worked well performance wise. I'd guess that your 4:10's with a 28" shoudl be similar to 3:73 with a 26".

That gives me some confidence in my setup. How do you like the 833 in the middle? Do you have the OD unit or not?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

3:55 with 727/26" tall tire. I wouldn't want a lower (numerically higher) ratio for the highway.

440/727/9" with 26" tall tires and 3.89 gears. Fun around town, but it sucks on the freeway. Will be swapping out to 3.50's in the near future.

That gives me some confidence in my setup. How do you like the 833 in the middle? Do you have the OD unit or not?

I love the 833. It is a standard 4 speed. Not an overdrive. The gear ratio is going to depend a lot on where your motor likes to run at. Mine is the happiest cruising at 3,000-3,500. With 3.73 gears and 28" tall tire that puts you about 75-80mph. I'd rather have all the benefits of the 4.10's and slow the cruise speed to 65-70 instead.

With a torqy bigblock in a lightweight car there's no need to go taller than a 3.23.

I have a 4600+ fullsize Chrysler with a 496" stroker under the hood and that car feels like it only weighs 3000 lbs and is very nimble to drive around.
In a Dart I woud personally even consider 2.94 gears with a built-for-torq bigblock (and no overdrive).

I'm currently running 3.90 gears in my 318 Dart with 518 OD transmission.
With a 5.7Hemi swap in the works I'm considering going to 3.55 or perhaps better 3.23 gears after the swap.

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in what gear ratio's everyone is running behind your big blocks (transmission and rear diff), and how happy they are with the results; looking to better understand what to purchase and expect for my own setup.

Currently I have a 451 build in progress, with a Strange S60 running 4.10's at the rear in a '74 Dart Sport. I will be driving my girl all summer, and to car shows, so I am looking to have a quiet comfortable highway experience, while taking advantage of the BB torque at low speeds.

Lets hear what you have, and how you like it! I'mopen to any suggestions.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

This is an excel program that you can input tires size, rear end ratio, transmission ratios and converter slip to give you the rpm's and mph for each gear.
Maybe it will help.
This is the first time using Dropbox so if you try it let me know if it works.

[ame]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovj1hieffar1v36/gearratio.xls[/ame]

Not an A body here, but in the Charger I have a 440/493 with a 727 and GV. 3.91 diff. Final ratio in OD is 3.05. 28" tire. Freeway cruising in OD is great. I've considered removing the GV and going back to direct drive 727 and a 3.55 diff.

-
Back