BBD Blues

-

powerwaggin

Reaction score
I'm running a stock 1972 Dodge W200 (318) and am searching for the best long term carb choice for a general use low RPM plow truck. I wind it out on blacktop sometimes, but generally this truck lives under 3500rpm. I'd build a different motor if I wanted to set the world on fire!

I have run the BBD and Holley 2280 for years on three different 318 trucks, with intermittent performance issues..generally either idle or mid-range. This recent rebuilt one has had a bad hole just above idle since day one. Recently I had some fairly long term success with the Holley 2280 on my '75 1 ton but now the two I own both need rebuilds. Due to modern "puppy piss" fuels I'm afraid that all carbs need to be rebuilt more regularly.

Question Number One:
Anyone know where to get a quality rebuilt Carter BBD? Anybody out there like the 2280 better?

Question Number Two:
If I instead go to a 4 BBL what should I convert to?

For carbs I have
1)Edelbrock 500 4 BBL (used and working fine)
2)Thermoquad from '83 318 factory 4 BBL D250 (OK but probably needs rebuild)

For manifolds I have:
1)'83 cast iron spread bore (for 360 port size)
2)Offy dual port spread bore (for 318 port size)

I also have the square to spread bore adaptor for the 500.

I'd appreciate any comments whatsoever!

My recent experience is the 2280 with mechanical and vacuum power valves are superior to the BBD. The BBD is a light casting, the top warps over time.

The 2280 takes some on vehicle adjustments of power valve and accelerator pump linkages based on curb idle setting. Also idle mixture is important.

The Thermoquad may be the best with the modern fuels due to better thermal control.
Offy is good, especially for your application. May have to adapt bore for TQ. 83 may have mismatch at top of intake to head runners.

Research rebuild instructions from service manuals and other sources. By quality rebuild kits, take your time, and use attention to details.

i tossed my old BBD as far as i could and replaced it with a motorcraft 2bbl from an 80s ford trucks and vans with the 302 V8. it was a 2100 series with 1.08 stamped on it, you may need an adaptor, i'm not sure if the flange pattern is different on your truck, it was on my D400 but the adaptor was cheap and readily available. its a good swap if you don't mind a ford part on your mopar. google it for more info, alot of jeep guys have done this swap with great results. -pauly

if you go 4 barrel, i would recommend a 2176 edelbrock intake and 1406 for daily driving. i have had zero issues running this on my 318. i use a weiand intake and 600 holley on my 360 , but i dont run this car everyday.

ive never ran an offy intake so i cant comment on that.
the last BBD i rebuilt and ran everyday ran really well. i had problems with the last 2 barrel holley i used

I think I'll rebuild a couple of the 2280 Holley carbs myself as I've had only temporary success with most of my own BBD O'hauls (Only one was good for years). As far as the Motorcraft goes.... I'd do it in a heartbeat if this next round of rebuilding does not do the trick. I have heard that they are very non-finicky in long term use. Heck, I already have a few Chevy parts on the old dog!
The 4 BBL will wait until I build a fresh motor... '83 Thermoquad sure looks to be a vacuum line nightmare. How many of them can be plugged on an 'ol farm truck? I'd like to try it on the Offy.
Also,...I ought to pull the tank, clean and prep it before I do anything on down the line. I've depended on these trucks for years and am willing to try almost anything in the search for increased reliability.

I bought a new (or factory rebuilt) BBD off ebay for $25 a few years ago. Runs fine on my 65 Dart on a 2-4 adapter, as I plan to keep it as a backup in the trunk. I haven't looked into adjusting the mixture rods, but looks like you can do that with the carb on the engine.

-
Back