bearing help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
ok guys i took the 400 apart and the main bearing are marked at 20 then under that it has 11 74 any idea of what this may mean??? i take it as 20 under and 11mth 74 year..any help would be great thanks mike

usually the bearings are marked with month and year of production, and size. So the "020" is an oversize bearing for a journal that was turned down .020".

You are correct, .020 and a 11/74 production year. Now these could have been on the shelf for 30 years and installed on '04 so its not a guarantee of the build date but it would show you the oldest date the motor could be, ie 0864 on a 65 Barracuda could be originals

Ok thats what i thought but the new bearing dont work. The crank hits the bearing on the sides and want seat completely. In the saddle. I am going to measure the crank and main stuff up today

:mrgreen:hey bob will do .. got home last night and went to work today in raleigh..lolgoing to mess with this thing a little bite tom. but will bring all the stuff when i come up..happy thanks giving to you and rose buddy..

Sounds like You have the wrong bearings. However, I have freshened My 440 several time over the Years have always used Clevites. The last time I just bought a ring n bearing kit. It came with F-M bearings. They didnt fit at all. Oil grooves didnt line up either and clearances were way off. Dont really know what happened. I just sent the bearings back to Summit and got Clevites, fit perfect. Part #s were right, maybe I just got a bad set.

well didn't get time to mess with the motor today had to work on my dump truck so I can get ready to hit the road on sunday to go back to work...but I did find the paper where I checked the crank before and I came up with 2.8085..been looking in my book to find the crank main journal size if anybody know them that may be of some help to me...

B Motors- Main journal=2.625 Rod journal=2.38

well didn't get time to mess with the motor today had to work on my dump truck so I can get ready to hit the road on sunday to go back to work...but I did find the paper where I checked the crank before and I came up with 2.8085..been looking in my book to find the crank main journal size if anybody know them that may be of some help to me...

= .1835+

that would take a plus size bearing, maybe your mic is off or something or don't toss the old bearings until you get it figured out.

measure the shells to see if old ones are thinner by a bunch(+or-.040")or the crank is bigger than stock size because the math show's it is.

hey bob sorry I didn't get to come up there .. had to work on my dump truck found a crack in the tail gate about 2' long and had a water pump leak and just put 70 in antifreeze in it 2 weeks ago..also I think I put the wrong numbers up I have them in the shop.. I took the main bore without the bearing and the main bore with the new bearing and the main bore with the old bearing just need to go back out and get them...wish I was home to get this thing together so I can get it in the car and out the shop..lol:violent1: got all my parts together for the race car so I can start on it soon..will call you maybe sunday night or Monday.. I will be pulling out sunday about 2pm headed back to work....be home next sat to sunday evening again..i will get the numbers in a short and post them they seem to be pretty close but who knows mike

ok guys went back to the shop and got the numbers

main journal no bearing 2.8130
main journal new bearing 2.6015
main journal old bearing 2.6170

so that's 0.2115 with the new bearing
and 0.196 with the old bearing

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::sleepy4::sleepy4::sleepy4::sleepy4:8-[8-[8-[8-[8-[

measure the crank journal not the bearing. apparently the new bearing is not a -.20" bearing must have been packaged wrong.

standard mains are 2.625"
standard rods are 2.380"

Main bore, std, with bearing in place, measured at 12 and 6 o'clock, should be 2.625.
Main bore, .020" over with bearing in place, measured at 12 and 6 o'clock, should be 2.605.
Crank's main journal, machined .020 under, should measure 2.6025.2.603.
Oil clearance, measured at 12 and 6, with all parts at 60-70° should be .002-.0025".

So if you measure the crank at 2.6015 then the oil clearance should be .0035".

That being said - Measuring everything in the cold (40-50°) with a mic and dial bore will show size differences - so parts should be left in heated space for 24hrs to warm up.

the thing that gets me is way is the crank hitting the sides of the bearing???when I go to drop it in the crank just sit on the side of the bearing and will not sit flat in the saddle...theres a gap about 20th from the crank to the bearing oil hole...:violent1::violent1: im out of town again so it will be maybe the weekend before I can get back top it..man this is just killing me now I have about 200.00 in bearing that are no good to me:wack: as far as the parts being in the cold I was in the shop woith the heat going so I don't know.. hey bob want me to drop all the parts off lololol anyway will keep everyone posted to what I find and when...:shock::shock:

So the bearings fit the block OK, but the crank wont lay down in the bearings? The bearings are too wide? Factory crank right? Is it one bearing or all of them? If You take the bearing outta the block will they fit on the journals?

well home again from work and will try to get time to check some things out while here.. gonna mic the crank and see where its at I did it before but forgot what it came up to .. will write it down this time as I am here for 2 days ..lol:wack:

ok took a min. and mic the crank today and the mains are 2.6095 .. so what do you guys think????I think the bearings are just junk like was stated before that someone else tried them fm and didn't work went to clevit and no problem...:wack: almost 200.00 deep in the bearing now and still nothing,

standard main= 2.6250
your main = 2.6095
difference = 0.0165
clearance = 0.0065
seems like a .010 under bearing with alot of running clearance.
look for markings on the crank or block to indicate if is a .10 under motor.

:boxing::boxing:I am about ready to load this pile of sh`t up and call it a day....lol seems I just cant get this thing together at all..thought I would be able to drive it before the year was out...not sure if I will be home the week end or not..gotta get back on my race car..

From the Federal Mogul site std measurements you will have to factor in the . under size crank

ENGINE BRNGS DIMENS (INCH)
Housing Bore Max (Inch) 2.818
Housing Bore Min (Inch) 2.8175
Oil Clearance Max (Inch) 0.0033
Oil Clearance Min (Inch) 0.0008
Overall Length Max (Inch) 0.949
Standard Shaft Max (Inch) 2.6255
Standard Shaft Min (Inch) 2.6245
Wall Thickness Max (Inch) 0.0956

I have a .010 under crank I try to measure this weekend

that would be great.. thanks:D
bob give me a call when you can

My .010 under 400 crank measures 2.611" on the main journal.
Bearing clearance was .003 with full grooved bearings and a little under .002 with half grooved bearings,I don't recall if the bearing were different brands

so it looks like I am more of the 10 under right???? damn rod bearings are the same as the main.. put the old bearing in it and the thing spins like it is on ice:banghead::banghead::banghead:

-
Back