Beatles Fans

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
If you are a Beatles fan.....Do you prefer the early stuff like "red Album" and their beginnings

OR the "later stuff" like 67 and up, particularly the Abby road album (1969) when the music noticeably matured and became something to be on the playlist with the heavy hitters of the day.

I have been jamming to Abby road and I just cant get it out of my head......anyone agree??

I listened to them a lot when I was in my late teens and early 20s, moved away from them, but have come back lately because of the Beatles Channel on XM radio in my wife's car. With that being said, I prefer the later stuff, although there's nothing wrong with the earlier records. I always feel a bit bad about myself listening to the Beatles, thinking that there are/were people floating around there as naturally talented as John Lennon and Paul McCartney. I've come to appreciate Paul's contributions to the band more and more as I've gotten a little older.

Well, I always thought they could be good.
But not always. And a bit over rated.
At least they were more popular than Jesus.

My favorite song at the roller rink was Paperback Writer.
Let me ask my minister what he thinks about them and that song.

No modern music will ever be able to replace the "raw", "coarse" twang of the Beatles guitar sounds in the early songs (She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love", I Wanna Hold Your had,...etc). I listen carefully and can't believe how wonderfully awful and coarse the guitar sounds in these old records. Even though the guitar music is almost out of tune in the songs IT DOESN'T MATTER, the songs still sound great!! But I still love the great majority of the late 60s and early 70s stuff. I was in High School in the late 60s so we all listened the Beatles a lot.....remember Beatle boots????
They seemed to not even be able to hold a note in their singing but it didn't matter because it was crude, raw and got the juices flowing (notice the crowd). No new singer or guitarist can match that raw sound that the Beatles had in their early music. Listen and listen closely and you'll hear what I'm talking about:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=50e965067277d818d159fd68e7706014&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=d5ebfa4007ffa206d0d5f14f464b31e9&action=view

Treblig

Last edited:
I love the Beatles, any and all. Kim
I agree. I do like the newer stuff better but anything that hits the airwaves is good for me.

The older stuff has a set sound. Almost predictable. The newer stuff is unpredictable. If your listening for the first time, you have no idea what the next track is going to sound like. The change could be huge in every way.

No modern music will ever be able to replace the "raw", "coarse" twang of the Beatles guitar sounds in the early songs (She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love", I Wanna Hold Your had,...etc). I listen carefully and can't believe how wonderfully awful and coarse the guitar sounds in these old records. Even though the guitar music is almost out of tune in the songs IT DOESN'T MATTER, the songs still sound great!! But I still love the great majority of the late 60s and early 70s stuff. I was in High School in the late 60s so we all listened the Beatles a lot.....remember Beatle boots????
They seemed to not even be able to hold a note in their singing but it didn't matter because it was crude, raw and got the juices flowing (notice the crowd). No new singer or guitarist can match that raw sound that the Beatles had in their early music. Listen and listen closely and you'll hear what I'm talking about:

Early Beatles Songs List - - Yahoo Video Search Results

Early Beatles Songs List - - Yahoo Video Search Results

Treblig

It's Vox amplifiers and Rickenbacker guitars. I know what I'm talking about too :) I've been a musician since age 14, now going on 41. I even have a book called "Recording The Beatles". Great book. They kept journals back in the days. They all wore coats and looked a bit like doctors (the studio workers that is). I have an original vintage, England made Vox myself. The AC/30 model. No Rickenbacker though. I'm a Les Paul guy.

I like most of their stuff. Abby Road is one of their best. Anything except Sgt Pepper. I hate that album. Sounds like little kids wrote it.

Before watching a documentary on ETV, I had no appreciation for their knowledge of music in general. Contemporary rockNroll was only where they began/worked.
Their success stemmed from first understanding all the rules and traditions of music, then bending, stirring, breaking, all of that. Sargent Peppers was the pinnacle of the practice.
Their screwed up music ( with examples in/of most every genre ) still is considered good music. Scholars agree that such a radical difference would not have been accepted in another genre.
So the Beatles were very good at what they did ( thinking and working outside the "music" box ).

If you are a Beatles fan.....Do you prefer the early stuff like "red Album" and their beginnings

OR the "later stuff" like 67 and up, particularly the Abby road album (1969) when the music noticeably matured and became something to be on the playlist with the heavy hitters of the day.

I have been jamming to Abby road and I just cant get it out of my head......anyone agree??

Absolutely agree, and I have every album they produced as well as some never released studio practice recordings from when they were actually trying to figure out how they wanted the songs to go.
Abbey Road is one of my favorites as well.

I uploaded all of it in a zip file here if you want to download it.
It's about 1.5 gigs of Beatles albums.:D
www.letsgocomputers.com/music/beatles.zip

I just heard "Tomorrow Never Knows " Not just one of the best Beatles songs, but IMO, one of the best songs ever.

Absolutely agree, and I have every album they produced as well as some never released studio practice recordings from when they were actually trying to figure out how they wanted the songs to go.
Abbey Road is one of my favorites as well.

I uploaded all of it in a zip file here if you want to download it.
It's about 1.5 gigs of Beatles albums.:D
www.letsgocomputers.com/music/beatles.zip
Trailbeast....Thanks for posting that link. I just listened to a few of the songs..Almost made me cry!!

Treblig

I like the early stuff and almost ALL of Paul McCartney and Wings stuff, but "purdy much nuthin "in the middle" lol

I also like some of John Lennon's solo stuff.

I like the Beatles but I like the Beach Boys a lot more . the great rival of the day .

Did you check out the (Early Beatles) folder with Tony Sheridan yet. :D
Does that Tony Sheridan Album have Dizzy Miss Lizzy on it? We used to open our shows with that. Love the cutting guitar riff opening.

Did you check out the (Early Beatles) folder with Tony Sheridan yet. :D
Best part about your zip file is that it's all MP3 so I can load everything and listen to the songs in my car!!

DSC07628.JPG
DSC07629.JPG
DSC05460.JPG

Treblig

It's Vox amplifiers and Rickenbacker guitars. I know what I'm talking about too :) I've been a musician since age 14, now going on 41. I even have a book called "Recording The Beatles". Great book. They kept journals back in the days. They all wore coats and looked a bit like doctors (the studio workers that is). I have an original vintage, England made Vox myself. The AC/30 model. No Rickenbacker though. I'm a Les Paul guy.

Funny (ironic) how it works.
Luke 4:24 comes to mind, sometimes.

Review: Long Ryders, Fleece | Music | Bristol 24/7
"As if there wasn’t enough joyful nostalgia in the room, the sight of a Coal Not Dole sticker on Griffin’s Rickenbacker 12-string brought back some bittersweet memories of the band’s early UK jaunts."

long-ryders-3-1462476301.jpg

"The band gave us a breakneck ninety minute set in total, Griffin an amiable and amusing front man (“…we can’t afford roadies so all of this chat is to distract you from the fact that the band are tuning up while you look at me…”); fighting technical difficulties – his effects board went south early in the set but brute force and ignorance brought it back into play and the pleasure he & the band took in the show was palpable. Admitting his voice was shredded Griffin concluded the set and the band (with the exception of Stevens) hit the merch for a lengthy chat (or whisper in Griffin’s case) with the audience. With the band on this form it would be a crime if they were to miss an opportunity to get back in the studio, crank out some new material and claim some of the success they richly deserve."

I like the Beatles but I like the Beach Boys a lot more . the great rival of the day .

I agree the Beach Boys were a great group too...there were so many in the 60's.
I've been listening to Jack,Eric and Ginger lately...To bad about Jack .An awful lot of music
for just 2 guitars,drums and voices!

-
Back