Bench to Bucket Seat Conversion on a 70 Duster

-

limited500

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I was wondering do you use the 2 holes closest to the rocker when putting in Bucket seats? They seem to sit awfully high without the track on them. Or do you drill 4 new on either side of the big high spot towards the front of the car? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

yes they are the same holes on the outside. saying that, you should have the plates for the inner holes. it supports the seats better then just the floor. i have the plates. 30.00 shipped.

yes they are the same holes on the outside. saying that, you should have the plates for the inner holes. it supports the seats better then just the floor. i have the plates. 30.00 shipped.

Logic says the plates should be welded on the outside of the floor rather than the interior of the car, but don't recall ever seeing specific printed instructions. Where do the plates correctly get welded?
I know - stupid question

They are not the same holes at all . you will have to drill 4 new holes per side . You do not use the bench seat holes the get a plug from the factory. Also there are four 4x4 inch 1/8 plates that get welded to the floor two on each inner side when installing buckets. On the inside of the car. If you don't know for sure you shouldn't give the wrong advise. I will go take pics of my one 340 duster I am stripping that came with factory buckets. . Steve

They go on the interior, 4 inner holes if I rember.
I bonded mine to the floor, just to hold them in place.
Put the carpet in, bolted the seats down.
Good to go.

The hole with the orange paint ring are used for bench seat. These had rubber plugs in them from the factory. I removed them and put them in the rubber plug bin. I have these plates here cut out of floors. and the plugs from several cars stripped here. This is the way bucket seats were installed. If you look you will see dimples in the floor where you drill for them. The outer holes aresupported from braces under the car which all have. Steve

Attachments

• DSCF2690.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,423
  • DSCF2691.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,317
  • DSCF2692.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,194
You drill 4 new holes. plates go on the inside holes closest to floor hump. No need to buy fancy made bucket seat support plates. Just go to Tractor Supply or other hardware places and get a strip of 1/4" steel, I bought one that was the same width as the original plates and cut it to length. Drill the holes and you are good to go and it's cheap.

my 72 duster was originally a bench seat car.

I picked up a set of power leather buckets out of an acura tl type s.

I DID use the out bench seat mounting holes aswell as drilled the 4 holes for the inside mounts in the floor closest to the transmission hump.

so to say someone is wrong is not the right thing to do .....because each application varies depending on brand and style of seat......factory buckets....yes......in my case with going to a different vehicles seats I had to think out of the box.

what I did was took 1/8" plate steel and cut of 4 pieces roughly 3"x3" in size....welded each of the 4 plates to the floor pane (2 on each side of the trans hump for the inner seat mounts on each side) I then drilled holes through the plates and floor pan.

I then made custom seat mounting brackets out of square stock and welded them to the frame of each seat to utilize the original outer bench mounting points aswell as the new inner mounts I fabbed up.....worked out great.

DSCI1024-1.jpg

DSCI1025-2.jpg

DSCI1031-1.jpg

DSCI1030-1.jpg

DSCI1332-2.jpg

beforeandafterinterior.jpg

Sorry I thought the question was where the seats were installed from the factory. I didn't think any one would ask how to mount there chinese seats in their american classic. But it is good to know that mother mopar had these holes put there for custom seat application engineering, and I am glad to see some of us figured that out and used these bench seat holes to their advantage. Nice job. Steve

i love this site.....thats why when i test fit my buckets in a orig bench car..the inner bracket was approx 2 inches higher...thanx old man!! gonna go look for dimples...

Sorry I thought the question was where the seats were installed from the factory. I didn't think any one would ask how to mount there chinese seats in their american classic. But it is good to know that mother mopar had these holes put there for custom seat application engineering, and I am glad to see some of us figured that out and used these bench seat holes to their advantage. Nice job. Steve

Actually the seats were made right here in Michigan in detroit. And I could care less if they came out of a go kart lol... they look good and are comfortable which is all that mattered to me.

I was just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat is all .

The hole with the orange paint ring are used for bench seat. These had rubber plugs in them from the factory. I removed them and put them in the rubber plug bin. I have these plates here cut out of floors. and the plugs from several cars stripped here. This is the way bucket seats were installed. If you look you will see dimples in the floor where you drill for them. The outer holes aresupported from braces under the car which all have. Steve

My car was born with a bench seat, but I scored a pair of proper 67 cuda bucket seats at Carlisle a couple weeks ago. This post was exactly the info I was looking for.

-
Back