Benefits of a tunnel ram?

-

Badart

Reaction score
I am builing a Pro-Street duster with a 440. I have not decided on an intake or carb. There is a guy in my area selling a tunnel ram for a single carb. I plan on going with a 6" cowl hood for the project anyway. what advantages are there with going with a tunnel ram?

There was a manifold comparison article in a Mopar magizine a few months ago. Surprisingly the Weiand tunnelram did pretty well. Personally, it's not for me but the tunnelram obviously offers longer runners & the comparitively large plenum makes it, for the most part, a race item. you could run it, many do, and be pretty happy if you don't mind playing with dialing it in, & the added fuel usage & maintenence. Recognize this is a high RPM manifold with a fairly narrow powerband. The one-carb tunnel ram like you're talking about was originally designed for boats or where a class limits the number of carbs allowed. If it were me, ProStreet or not, I'd pass on it.

Thanks for the input. I think I will pass. Which intake would you recommend for a good all around streetable setup That flows good for future upgrades?

If it were myself, I'd look at a Edelbrock Victor or an Indy intake. Of course, this is build dependent.

If you can forward the name of the person with the tunnel ram,I would be greatfull,as this is perfect for a street applacation,for my use,mrmopartech

Single 4 barrel tunnel rams seem to have distribution problems. If your going to go with a big block tunnel ram get a two 4 barrel Weiand which in the manifold shootout dominated ALL the other intakes tested, including two other tunnel rams. I think this was in part 2 of the test. The single 4 barrel was tested in part 1 and it didn't do very well. It's a good read if you can find it. You'll be really surprised at how low the tunnel ram starts pulling away from the competition in torque and HP.
It has smaller runners and a smaller plenum and a much wider rpm range than the all out racing tunnel rams. I believe the rpm range is 2500-8500rpm
As for the small blocks the best tunnel ram is the Edelbrock Street tunnelram (mine says TR1Y on the upper half between the carbs) but are no longer sold by edelbrock.

The only thing that would look meaner would be a blower!:snakeman:
This is going in a daily driver custom 53 Merc pick up with a 518 od tranny.

100_1117.jpg

They are hard to see around

on a smallblock using some 2x9" aircleaners it actualy just about fits under a sixpack scoop on a 73duster ,it does rub alitle but but not bad so they dont need to be so tall ;)

back to the first post, i would pass on the singel carb tunnelram they are not all that good compared to the ones for dual carbs, the dual carb ones make some very nice power and the sound of 8barrels slammed wideopen is something that the tunnelramhaters dont need to hear,its probably to good for them anyway ;)

Tunnel Rams were for racing and gave straight direct fuel path from carbs to the heads a smoother fuel flow.

Performance wise better on top end but sluggish and slower resonding on bottom end of RPMs

Although they look cool etc. pretty impractical for Street use due to the lower end RPM sluggishness over non Tunnel Ram style manifolds which have better low RPM Torque and Throttle response

Walt

The wieand TR I ran on my 440 had almost instant throttle response and lowend driving was fantastic tons of tq and not sluggish anywhere at all had great street maners , also ran a similar setup on a 340 was wicked and also not sluggish anywhere.
The perfornamce Depends totaly on the setup of the entire package~

-
Back