bent cam shaft

-

74Ddart

Reaction score
Anyone,

What are the symptoms of a bent cam shaft? Dropped my car off for paint touch up and after leaving it sounds a little different. Around 40 mph or better I have a sound and feel like something is out of balance or out of round. I'm thinking the shop guys might have done burn outs while holding on the brake, not sure though. The odometer read not even 1/10 on it from the time I dropped it off until I picked it up. The drive shaft and u-joints are all new. Do you think maybe the shaft lost a weight or the u-joint could be going bad if it is new? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

See if your Wheels still have all their weights on them.

Vibe at idle or on the road at speed? At speed is a balance issue in the drivetrain. Friend bought a car that had undercoating on 1/2 of the driveshaft! Check the paint lot for fresh meat, then measure the track and compare. Thats alot of proof to throw at the shop owner to fess up to or explain.

Anyone,

What are the symptoms of a bent cam shaft? Dropped my car off for paint touch up and after leaving it sounds a little different. Around 40 mph or better I have a sound and feel like something is out of balance or out of round. I'm thinking the shop guys might have done burn outs while holding on the brake, not sure though. The odometer read not even 1/10 on it from the time I dropped it off until I picked it up. The drive shaft and u-joints are all new. Do you think maybe the shaft lost a weight or the u-joint could be going bad if it is new? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

I would be headed back down there to OPEN UP A CAN OF WHOOP ASSSSS for sure if that is the case!!

As the saying goes, not mine I didn't pay for it and I don't know what it took to get it where it is so who gives a rats ***. BS

I don't trust anyone with my car... Me an my cuz swapped a stang engine for a guy awhile back, the guy had taken it to a garage for a clutch, thay charged the him $1,000.00, didn't turn his flywheel, didn't change his throw out bearing, left half the bolts loose and thay blew his engine when thay test drove it after the "clutch job"... I'm serious, some people are that slack..

How long was the car not driven? If it sat in the same spot for a really long time, it could just have flat spots. Even modern radials will do it too if they sit up a long time.

Never seen or even heard of a bent camshaft. Broken.....yes....but bent? if it's in the cam bearings, how do you bend it?

Never seen or even heard of a bent camshaft. Broken.....yes....but bent? if it's in the cam bearings, how do you bend it?

Enough said! Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the front u-joint is going out and is vibrating at the tranny. I pushed up and down on the driveshaft and I am getting a knocking sound [slop in the bearings] The u-joint was installed in 07 before I bought the car and could have a little abuse on it.

As was mentioned by pishta, if the engine runs smooth when revved in neutral, but vibrates when the car is in motion, it's a transmission-back component that's doing it. If the driveshaft got even a little ding in it, it can shake pretty good. I'd get it up in the air and spin the driveshaft to see if there is any runout or dents.

Like Mark said; You can't bend a cam, it is cast iron. It only breaks.

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus 3.0 SOH and its got a bent cam at the moment. theres a piece that circles around the cam positioning sensor, and its bent.

My Barracuda had a broke transmission mount, it made all kinds of horrible noises when accelerating.

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus 3.0 SOH and its got a bent cam at the moment. theres a piece that circles around the cam positioning sensor, and its bent.

Well thats a ferd anything thats not possible is very possible in those jewels..

I suspect it's something bolted to the cam shaft and not the cam shaft itself. This is a two year old thread you know.......:-?

-
Back