Bent transmission pan flange?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I changed my transmission fluid last weekend and I have noticed a small puddle of fluid under my car the last few days so I crawled under it and saw it was coming from the flange. I looked up the specs for the bolts and it looks like I put a little too much on them. I really do not want to get back under the car and put a new pan on it so is there anything I can do with the pan on to stop the leak?

Take it off and hammer it flat again, or change the pan, not to many options

There is and old trick called corking we used in the trans business.
Tap the bent spot down (or up from under the car):D with a hammer and some sort of drift punch (blunt not sharp)
You don't want it to cut into the pan metal.
It doesn't take a lot of impact, but what you are doing is bending the sealing surface up against the gasket.

It's worth a try if you don't want to pull the pan, but you may end up pulling it anyway.

If this issue was on my truck we would not be having this discussion. Call me lazy but I hate working under cars that are low to the ground. Once I get this thing up in the air I will give the hammering a shot. Would the bent section just be at that particular hole or down the entire flange?

I always check and true a trans pan before reinstall so its as flat as the trans mating surface. The way I let it drop away from the trans with a couple bolts still holding would likely tweak it a tad if it wasn't already distorted by a road hazard. Once flat I'll use a small ball peen to dimple the bolt holes slightly. The bolt heads take my dimples back to flat.

Next time use the mopar gasket that has the torque limiting spacers in the gasket. If the pan surface is flat, it'll seal AND stay flat.

In my experience option one would be replace the pan. If a replacement is not availabletry to repair the one you have, but be prepared to worry over it .

I'm all for fixing it properly. If you don't feel like getting back under there, take it to a shop and have them do it.

Bought the new pan on the way home from work today. I'll put the car up on jackstand again this weekend

i warped my pan on my 904 after changing the filter and re-torquing the bands... i flattened it but still had some seepage. I ended up getting a deeper cast aluminum pan with a magnetic drain plug, and a reusable metal core gasket.

I have replaced only 1 trans pan. That was a 88 Riviera. The inner CV joint had separated and went through the vertical mounted pan with can opener effect. My hammer couldn't correct that one.

-
Back