Bent upper control arm?

-

Moparvinson

Reaction score
I cleaned up the big ball joint upper control arms I got from a 74 dart sport. I can look through the bolt holes on the drivers side bushings and they line up straight. When I look through the holes on the passenger side one is definitely off from the other but they were bolted to the car when I got them and the adjusting bolts and adjusting washers were all in and straight. I am assuming they should be straight. Can this one be fixed? Thanks.

I had the EXACT problem. Did not notice it till after I got them both powdercoated. Pass side was way twisted. I assume the car I got them off had been in an accident. I could not get it into my front mounts. I got another one and it was fine.
IMG_7319.JPG

Maybe i can be realigned, but
maybe when you are done, it will no longer fit in the saddles...... because it may not be the ends that need tweeking. Sometimes it's the bridge. I have a press and a torch so I can make just about anything fit. But in the end, it might be cheaper, certainly easier, to just get another.

Yes, they should be straight. I don't think I'd ever try to straighten a bent one...

FWIW, Make sure you check the bracket the distorted one came out of. Prime spot for rot where they attach to the frame.

It could have gotten bent damaged taking out the bushings. Easy to do if you are not careful and do it right.

Would they have still been able to bolt it into the car if it was bent? I pulled them out of a running car snd the cam alignment bolts were all in normal
How were the bushings removed? Of course after the arm was removed. So it would be fine in the car, till the bushings were removed.....Maybe....

How were the bushings removed? Of course after the arm was removed. So it would be fine in the car, till the bushings were removed.....Maybe....
The bushings are still in the arms. I removed them the way they are now so they must have been bent before. Whats strange is the bushings and ball joint on the drivers side are all new? Maybe they trashed the pass. Side and just put the arm back on.

I had the same problem with mine. I bent it back into shape only later to have issues with the ball joint installation. I ended up buying a set of QA1’s.

We offer the oem stamp steel big upper ball joint upper control arms ( 1973-76) if you are still looking.

Upper Control Arms

Thanks
James From
PST
Marketing

-
Back