Best alternator

-

Bunker45

Reaction score
purchased a Napa alternator for the dart. It lasted about 600 miles. Any thoughts as to where to buy the replacement?

First, what year Dart? what are you running for an alt now ? do you have a p/n? round or square back?Is your electrical system stock or do you have more load than stock? Have you checked the voltage regulator? Wiring? Help us so we can help you.

Last edited:
70 dart 340. Was a stock alt from Napa 3 wire. New harness no extra draw for power. Not even radio. Believe square back. New volt regulator. Wiring looks good. Tks.

Make um warranty the thing out. There are bad parts in every brand. New or reman, it doesn't matter.

and after you get that replacement take it your local alternator shop ( hopefully you have one close ) and have them look it over and replace the shitty pieces with better ones .... that's what I do, haven't had a failure yet ...

buy some $3 brushes and swap them out. A paper clip is your friend during install...:)

What failed? If bearings failed, and you didn't over-tighten the fan belt, then it was a truly crappy rebuild. The diodes in the early round-back alternators rarely fail since pressed into the housing for good heat rejection. But, a rebuilt alt failed in my 65 Newport, giving some output but not enough, which is kind of worse since I found out when it stranded me. The diodes in the square-back alternator of my 1982 Aries failed like clockwork every year. I would look thru the rear window and see the positive ones, which float in the air, vaporized away. I got good at replacing just the diodes, and by cutting cooling slots got them to last 2 years. Since Darts didn't have that problem, my guess was the transverse engine orientation didn't give enough cooling. An auto-electric shop where I bought replacement diodes told me that failure was common in the then-new Mopars. Even with good air flow, Chi-made diodes may not last long. Brushes should last for decades, but who knows what cheap stuff they may make them out of today. When my 65 Newport stopped charging in 1992, I found the problem was the brushes were worn and the copper pickup rings had worn grooves, so guessing the original alternator at 27 years. I just stretched the springs for better contact and it worked again (living in desert then, far from auto parts).

Sold a lot of part in my 9 years on the counter. I have seen lots of junk in the box.
Brand new non operative parts.
It happens. Lately i have been using bosch rebuilt and new with no problems.
Dixie rebuilds were the worst i ever saw...

-
Back