Best clutch for small block W-600 hp

-
Good post todd,let us know how you go as well!

and there we have it, information from a FAST guy on using adjustable clutches....and he even has a friend who uses one on the street-turn down the base at the track and turn it up for the street...just goes to show they do work on the street, the whole point of it being adjustable for base pressure allows you to tailor it for street driving...

to the OP, sorry if this became a shitstorm, i was just trying to give you the correct facts to the best of my knowledge, didnt mean for it to stray from the topic...as you can see Todd gave you some pretty good advice, and theres more where it came from (check out umtr too!)..good luck!

Glad I could contribute some retardation to this post. LOL.

I'm learning alot, and not ashamed to admit it.

When I started to build my car, i had no idea what I was getting into...I just wanted a stick car that would run low 11's or high 10's.

Unfortunately there aren't many stick guys in my area, making it even harder for me.

Yes i've made mistakes, but I made my choices based on bogus dyno #'s.

Here's my 3 run old 8 3/4 housing.

2006_1210DalesfireMay2420060021.jpg

2006_1210DalesfireMay2420060022.jpg

Enjoy

Todd

I don't want to get into an arguement here but I have talked to 3 of the big name clutch companies and only one, Mcleod makes an adjustable clutch to fit the small blocks 130 tooth flywheel ( unless someone knows of a blowproof bell to fit a 143 tooth flywheel for a small block chrysler ). Its a 10 inch soft-loc and the whole unit from them as I was quoted is $ 2400.00 dollars. This is a little to rich for my blood for a item that is high mantence I don't make that kind of money, sorry! For a 100 bucks I sent the pressure plate back and had it softend up. I will keep my steel flywheel untill it is proved to me that a $500 plus aluminum wheel will launch my car better.

I have a centerforce dual friction in my duster. Almost 900 hp and just short of 600 ft lbs. Hasn't slipped at all on the street and I put it thru some serious abuse. Hasn't been to the track the yet....

Hey every one I go away for a few days and look what happens. Man you guy sure give a guy somthing to thik about I will pack a set of boxing gloves with me just incase we all meet some day:cheers: I will take all the advise and put it to work and let you all know what I decide I no good money after bad is a bad idea but money may make my choice for this season. I am running out of funs for this year coming up and Im going racing no matter what. So trany up grade is out of the Q. I will stick with flywheel and clutch choice this year hopfully that will work as well for an up graded trans later.

Todd how do I get a hold of you. I own S&J Auto in Campbell River

PS with my last eng 360,KB piston10.7/1 edy heads out of the box, 555 solid cam,dual tunnel ram AFB carbs, Centerforce dual fric, I ran 11.5s - on a good day and 11.7s all day long @119 mph 4.88 gears 28 tire.( 4 seasons)

I added some nos to it 150 shot,nowing I had to realy sep it up with pistons porting crank all the good stuff thought I would at least get a few weekends out of it. On the 4th pass she came apart in a bang, it was hard to make heads or tails out of it, my best gues from the shrapnel was a rod bolt let go first. anyway spinning most the way it ran 11.0 @ 123 mph. my 60 droped from 1.5 best ever to a 1.6 with the nos.

I have a centerforce dual friction in my duster. Almost 900 hp and just short of 600 ft lbs. Hasn't slipped at all on the street and I put it thru some serious abuse. Hasn't been to the track the yet....

With that combo and street tires you would just have wheel spin anyway. How that clutch would hold on a real, solid track launch could be a different story.

With that combo and street tires you would just have wheel spin anyway. How that clutch would hold on a real, solid track launch could be a different story.

Centerforce told me that HP isn't really the issue. The torque is what tears the stuff up. The centerforce is rated for 600 ft lbs.

I'll find out how it holds up on the ice in a couple weeks. 11,000 drywall screws will hook it up for sure 8)

Centerforce told me that HP isn't really the issue. The torque is what tears the stuff up. The centerforce is rated for 600 ft lbs.

I'll find out how it holds up on the ice in a couple weeks. 11,000 drywall screws will hook it up for sure 8)

I don't know what you said there, but OK.

I tried to post some video links, but it says a mod has to approve my post first?!?!?!?

if you go to youtube and search Merrill Ice drags a ton of videos will come up....

Ok,its clear to me that yous are crazy, an that yous dont
apreciate life lol.

So how fast has someone gone on the ice!?
The weather would be good for the cars to make power,
but snow would play hell on the bodies.
An ehh,braking?
Big run off patch or?

Awesome vids!

Ok,its clear to me that yous are crazy, an that yous dont
apreciate life lol.

So how fast has someone gone on the ice!?
The weather would be good for the cars to make power,
but snow would play hell on the bodies.
An ehh,braking?
Big run off patch or?

Awesome vids!

Ha ha ha... Winter is too long to sit in the house and do nothing...

The records in the 1/8 are 140 mph and 5.592 et... Snow is merely frozen water it will not hurt the cars. It's the salt on the roads on the way to the track that rots all the cars out here. Stopping isn't too much of a problem, we have on avg about 4000 screws per tire and over 1000 ft of run off and then lots of snow after that to work as a sand trap...

That is on slicks 28x 11,5 15 MT
PS I ran the Mcloed clutch borg and beck style for two years pulled it the day before race day and it was on the rivets, no chance to replace it, my next choice was the Centerforce dual friction. In fact I like the Mcloed clutch better all around, the worst thing I find with the centerforce is the over center facter there is a fine line there to have to much drag or the pedal does not return on a 7500 rpm shift. needless to say I dont think ether of these clutchs are up for my knew build.

This is not the first time I have seen that a Centerforce and High RPM do not get along.

In fact….. My car had a centerforce and would not shift reliably at 8000. That is why it ended up with a ram B&B style and custom built clutch disk (almost undrivable on the street).

Ha ha ha... Winter is too long to sit in the house and do nothing...

The records in the 1/8 are 140 mph and 5.592 et... Snow is merely frozen water it will not hurt the cars. It's the salt on the roads on the way to the track that rots all the cars out here. Stopping isn't too much of a problem, we have on avg about 4000 screws per tire and over 1000 ft of run off and then lots of snow after that to work as a sand trap...

Id say notbad but that would be an understatement!

Leave anyone in any condition long enough,an theyl find
a way to have fun lol.
I just made that up,an your my proof of point haha!
That is awesome though,good stuff!

How much do tires like that cost?
An how long do they last?

Anyone ever get worried a screw might launch an make way
into a bystander or? :-D

i call this place http://www.advancedclutches.com/products.htm

i had a non adjustable SPEC 3+ in my car and broke the trans first time out to the track.

i have a torqueflight in the car at the moment (got tired of laying on my back), i might give the Hemi box one more shot but if i ever get the dough i'm gonna toss a Jerico DR-4 in it.

416todd...
the adj clutch you run I take it has more Base or Static pressure than a McLeod soft lock@350 lbs static...is the pressure plate itself steel or alum with a friction material riveted to it?
just for my own curiosity how much static pressure is in it?... 1200 lbs plus?
Do you know why it waffled the clutch center and broke the welds on the spring perches?
I've seen that on more than a couple of occasions.
Some with the center riped right out and the customer wanting more pressure because his engine make so much power nothing can hold it ;)

Rob

I don't have my notes in front of me, so I won't even guess what the # are.

I bought an Advanced clutchs unit and it is sweet. The flywheel is alum with rivited frition material.

Yes I know why it ruined the disc , bent the rear, collapsed the perches and broke the center bolts for the leaf springs...it dead hooked and I found the weakest links....i left at 4000 rpm when this happened

We were shocked to see carnage

You have to remember I spec'd out my parts based on the bogus #'s i got from the idiots that built and dyno'd the motor....needless to say the #'s were out by about 100 hp by the looks of things.

Most people over look the fact that there HAS to be some give in the driveline somethere..be it spinning the tire once or twice or the clutch slipping.

If your customer can't get it to hook...it's prob because there is no slippage .

I called the tech line of the mfg of the parts I bought, they recommended 6000 rpm to get slippage. At 6000 all i got was tire shake..yes shake and no luck.

I lowered the launch to 4000 and it slipped enough to let the car hook and it left like it never had before.

Shocks also play a HUGE part in the set up , i'm going double adj, as well as the chassis binding too.

I have video but don't want to let this thread get carried away in another direction.

Todd

I can't add too much to this really. But, a mentor of mine raced and set a bunch of records in NHRA Stock Eliminator. He rana Jericho and had Ram clutch combo with a steel flywheel running 11 teens with a 485hp 351 Cleveland. He decided to move up to SS and got a car from Ford (given to jim by Ford) and had a state of the art chassis done, upgraded the engine to almost 700hp, and took it to test in FL before the first points event (Div 1). With more power, the same clutch, same trans, and good suspension/tire, in 3 passes, it spit out his two Jerichos and then one he borrowed from a racer there. All because the clutch was wrong. you HAVE to have seat time, and you will have it in and out a bunch of times to get it right and reliable.

AMEN Moper.

I have less than 30 runs on my car and have had more grief than many of my long time racing friends.

Most of my bad "luck" was the result of the F*CKING I got by an engine shop.

-
Back