Best compressor for home use? Any info?

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
i've been doing alot of research and it seems that i'm having trouble deciding on a compressor to buy for at home. right now my little 6 gal pancake compressor is holding up but i'm going to need something a lot bigger sometime soon. Its not going to be hardwired in just a plug in unit. What compressors are you guys running at home?

i have a 60 gallon coleman/sanbon unit from Menards works great will run my sandblaster
or most other air tools. does run alot when using my sanders but was cheap at under $400.00.

Im running a 2 cyl 5 hp 60 gallon 220v Husky. Its a bit small for sandblasting, but has given me no issues

20 GAL 5 HP is probably the smallest you would want to go.Thats what I have and it keeps up with all that I do.Black Max from SAMS.

You want NOTHING that is either direct drive or oil-less

If possible you want a cast iron pump and most certainly belt drive.

yea ive read alot of negative stuff about oil less compressors.. the only problem i have is voltage i dont have 220v hook up so that limits me.

Cast iron pump, biggest tank you can afford, highest CFM rating you can afford.

Then go Ingersoll Rand and NEVER look back.

I got a 2.2hp Craftsman 22 gallon that is not listed anymore. 6.6 SCFM at 90 aint bad for 110V I blast with a small 5 SCFM suction gun in a box and it keeps up. Compete fill to 90 in about 30 seconds.

The bigger the better my 20 gal is strugling to keep up [it's been a good one i got it for nuthin] gonna need a bigger one soon.

3 hp is about the biggest you can get for 120 volt. I have seen 20-30-44 gal. tanks. I have a 3hp./20gal. Quincy. By far the best small compressor I've owned.

IR makes cheapo stuff now too. IMHO they are just taking advantage of their name which used to mean top quality. With 110V you can't run more than 1.5 hp (real) which means 6 cfm or less. I had a unit like this with a 30 gallon tank which worked alright but wouldn't run anything continuously. I just recently bought a used 5 hp 220V 80 gallon unit which puts out 20 cfm and will run all my air tools continuously. Like alot of things, buy the biggest and best one you can afford.

it's going to be hard getting a 110v with the power to do big task but if you can find one with a 40-60 gal tank it will help take the burden off the motor.

Oil less break the thin flap valves.

My 20 gal would not keep up with a smaller motor so might look into buying seperate big tank small motor.

Best size for an adequate home shop compressor is a 60 gallon, 80 if budget is bigger, cast iron, 2 cylinder, oil lubed unit. Had a new oil-less for a couple of years and flat wore the cylinders out of it with moderate shop use. Well worth it to step up to 220v to get a durable unit. Keep your eyes out for winter deals at your local box stores. Last winter I picked up a compressor that normally lists for $439, on sale for $369, and they were offering a $100 gift card at the time. That was a good day!

Google "Eaton Compressor". They make some gooduns too.

Mine is a 80 gallon binks unit,cast iron base,cylinder and cylinder hear,huge traction motor,and queit.It about 30 years old or more,and if you find one,be able to pay for it,as its the cadilac of all compressors,if you have the 3-5 grand go for it,mrmopartech

You're really not going to get much compressor if you limit yourself to 120volt.
You have 240 into your home, all homes have 2 120 lines in, which is where your 240 comes from. It's easy enough to run a dedicated circuit wherever you need/want.
I've been using an Oil-less Craftsman for 10 years straight at work, and I hate it as much now as when new (the boss bought it), they're noisy as all and only perform mediocre at best. Still runs great though.
At home i have a 25 year old belt driven compressor (much easier on the ears) that I bought after much comparing of many models. It's only 3hp with a 30gal tank, but puts out like 12cfm at 40psi, which meant it put out enough volume to operate my DeVilbiss full size spray gun, and about 8cfm at 90.
When it comes to tools, there isn't a whole lot that requires more air volume than a paint gun. Highly likely it's the only one that will really tax your compressor, because everything thing else will more than likely be used in, or can be done in short bursts, then let it catch up. If you paint something large you have to be able to keep moving, meaning you WILL run it down.
Just some food for thought.

I'm building a temporary garage at my home so it might just be worth it to have an electrician run a line out there for me. Then go with a bigger compressor. Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely going to need the best I can get since ill be sandblasting the entire vehicle then painting it.

-
Back