best cruising gear ratio 440 Duster

-

Brian Donahue

Exhaust system
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with a 440 A body with 2.96 gear ratio? I like to highway cruise, will I lose much of the line performance? 27" tire height.

My experience was it made for some easy block long burnouts.
No doubt about that. 70 Coronet, 440 / 727 with a 276 sure grip, cops measured 336 feet of rubber out of the apartment complex, blew both 275 60 15 Firestone Firehawks

It's a 440! They have more torque at stall on the primaries,than most teeners at their best. So lose performance compared to what? lol.
Compared to the same 440 with 3.55s still probably not, cuz the tires give up either way. With 3.55s you just have to shift sooner,lol.
If you own "em, stick 'em in there.

336ft, eh! That's pretty good.

How much performance you loose depends on what gear you have now but if the 440 runs decent at all it should still fly in an A-body. Probably scary on the top end:thumbsup:

At 5500rpm you would be going 149.3mph
At 6500rpm YA now we are having fun 176.46mph
And you would probably loose some weight

What's the rest of the combo ??

As long as it's fairly streetable engine you should be.

But depends what gear your coming from how performance you'll lose.

60 mph at 2200rpm w/your setup
Thanks, I had calculated that already. I was trying to get a feel for how the car would be on take off with this gear set up. Mine is 727/8-3/4 and from what others are saying it will get off just fine. I like a nice mellow highway cruise in my cars.

What's the rest of the combo ??

As long as it's fairly streetable engine you should be.

But depends what gear your coming from how performance you'll lose.
If you mean drive train, I have 727/8-3/4. I have just acquired the car. It seems to be running about a 3.43 rear end right now. 2000 RPM @45 MPH, 27" tire. Previous owner was in poor health, so I don't have every bit of data on the car. 440 is a recent rebuild.

At 5500rpm you would be going 149.3mph
At 6500rpm YA now we are having fun 176.46mph
And you would probably loose some weight
Yeah, I think I'll keep it a little under that 149 mark at least until the Governor finishes all the pot holes off.

No doubt about that. 70 Coronet, 440 / 727 with a 276 sure grip, cops measured 336 feet of rubber out of the apartment complex, blew both 275 60 15 Firestone Firehawks
I do need to replace the tires, so this method may save me the recycling fees.

i have a 2,94 in our 360 dart.. its a great gear... plenty of pep around town surprisingly and man does it cruise on the highway...

i have a 2,94 in our 360 dart.. its a great gear... plenty of pep around town surprisingly and man does it cruise on the highway...
Thanks Joe, that's what I am thinking. Ton of power for a car that weighed 2800# with factory slant six.

I too find 2200rpm@65, mellow. The pipes are mellow, the chassis is smooth, windnoise is what is to be expected, it's just sweet.
1600 was nice too, but that combo didn't work out for me,lol

did you ask him if he knew where to get a 2.94? i swear someone sold them new, just don't remember who...

3.23 is a great gear also..

did you ask him if he knew where to get a 2.94? i swear someone sold them new, just don't remember who...

3.23 is a great gear also..
I'll look up 2.94, but most sources stop at 3.23 for new parts. Probably less demand as most muscle cars want race style ratios. Might need to find used old Imperial or something or buy from someone here who isn't using it.

-
Back