Best custom (make your own) spark plug wires?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Looking to get a new set of spark plug wires for the 360, two of them need to be 90 degree angled boots at the plugs so I'm gonna need one of the make it yourself kits.
Any recommendations?

And I'm not ever using accel wires ever again.

msd 8.5 super conductors. the boots and ends bend to what ever angle you need

Good call D/D. Also, if you really want to, MSD also sell's just the ends for the plugs to make only 2 wires absoultely custom for the header fitment.

i just installed a set of msd street fire 8mm wires.they are really nice for what you pay.i modified 2 with 90* boots to clear the headers.

The 1964 Ford 2000 Series tractor had to have DIY plug wires. Went with Taylors ... very nice quality, and the blue kinda matches the paint. :)

Thanks guys.
Yeak I was looking in the Summit catalog and thought the MSD or Taylors looked to be pretty decent.

Do the MSD's come in "orange?"

Thanks guys.
Yeak I was looking in the Summit catalog and thought the MSD or Taylors looked to be pretty decent.

Do the MSD's come in "orange?"

Nah, no Orange..

They have RED...And they also have Black.

Used to have the 8.5mm in Black on my Dart, went to RED about 6 months ago.

--

I had good luck with Taylors,and always bought the cut to fit ones..i'm now running the "fire core" wires which are very nice wires they fit like a glove...

why no accel? i have always liked msd ones but havent tried accel

Seems like when you pull an Accel wire off to replace the plugs there is a always a misfire afterwards such is the case with mine and many of my car buddies told me they ran into the same problem.

Sounds like you have Comp headers. LOL

I needed different angled plug wires for 5 and 7 because of my headers. With the Taylor wires i found that I needed their *135 degree ends rather than 90*. The boot on Taylors is so short that the 90* presses the wire straight u against the cylinder head.

Also, remember to use some grease on the plugs or you will never get the Taylors off.

Other than that the Taylors are great. They should call it a 45* boot instead of *135 to decrease confusion, though.

Steve

I've used the Accel blue wires and had the same misfire on one after removal, but I figured it was due to a bad crimp.. put a new end on and it was fine

I'M still confused, I thought
_\ is 45*
_/ is 135*

:lol:. Oh YES, always use some boot lube :cheers: Nothing like destroying a set of $50-$100 set of wires...

Sounds like you have Comp headers. LOL

I needed different angled plug wires for 5 and 7 because of my headers. With the Taylor wires i found that I needed their *135 degree ends rather than 90*. The boot on Taylors is so short that the 90* presses the wire straight u against the cylinder head.

Also, remember to use some grease on the plugs or you will never get the Taylors off.

Other than that the Taylors are great. They should call it a 45* boot instead of *135 to decrease confusion, though.

Steve

Thanks for the info.

I am running Hedman Hedders #5 and #7 are my tight ones too.

I've used the Accel blue wires and had the same misfire on one after removal, but I figured it was due to a bad crimp.. put a new end on and it was fine

I'M still confused, I thought
_\ is 45*
_/ is 135*

:lol:. Oh YES, always use some boot lube :cheers: Nothing like destroying a set of $50-$100 set of wires...

Right, but which end of the slash is attached to the plug and which end has the wire coming out?

45* compared to 90* just seems more intuitive to me than 135*.

I don't disagree, when I read 135* ends I was like "who would need a 135* plug boot??" :)

we just put a set of MSD street fire wires on my son in law's 65 barracuda, turned out real nice, crimper included as was stated above. I may replace my accel wires with a set. Went with Black wires, against the orange, they look real nice. I run Taylors on my 59 Suburban and like them a lot as well.

i have had great luck with taylor and moroso. bought a moroso crimp tool a while back and it works great.

I picked up a MSD wire crimper. It was a lil'pricey, but it makes custom wire set making alot easier.

I took daredevil's advice and ordered a set of the MSD 8.5 super conductors.
I talked to the salesman dude, and they were his suggestion as well.

He told me the Mopar small block kit will be fine and come already made, just bend the ends how you want them.

-
Back