best deal on a stroker kit???

-
Hi everybody. My name is Troy Bray and some of you might remember me from Westoaks Chrysler. Steve is a good friend but I think he went a little overboard with the description of the engine that he NEEDS. The truth is that this engine will see 90% street duty and 10% track time. Here is a guy that drives his car to Willow Springs.....beat on the car all day long and then drives it home. (This guy does have no fear when it comes to driving his car) What he needs is a good, very streetable 415+HP engine that will last all day in traffic but can have a lot of fun at the track......nothing more....nothing less. Here is what he has and what he would like:

1968 Barracuda 3500 lbs with driver.
727 trans, stock converter
3:23 with 25.7" tire.
$3500 cost limit (there is the fun part!!)
Other than that....everything is debatable....heads, cam type, Magnum or LA base.

With all that being said.....what would you build?? Lets have some fun with this.....what is your combo??
I promise that Steve will not question you guys to death anymore!!

Thanks everybody!!

PS....Hi Brian, hope all is well with you.

Troy

Hi Troy,
I think we pretty much had that down as far as what we believed he needed. But we have different views of what might be the best approach long term. IMO, $3500 isnt enough to do a quality job in either case. I went into this in earlier posts. IF the engine will be raced, it needs to be built to RACE, and designed to last as it runs on the street. so I'll add a figure at the end:
Requirements:400-425hp. Primarily street driven. RPM ceiling 5500. Easy on parts and maintenance. Budget $3500. (black font is this)
My interpretation of "unspoken wishes" for it:
Budget of $7500. room to grow to 475-500hp with bolt ons. rpm ceiling 6000. Easy on parts and maintenance.(green font is how I'd do it to account for wishes too)

360cid, forged flat top (Diamond) pistons .010 below deck. Over the counter Felpro blue gaskets, XS268S solid flat tappet cam, 273/Isky/whatever sintered iron rockers/HD shafts, Summit billet timing chain, MP tensioner, scraper, road race pan/tray. Stock 3.58 stroke crank. ARP main studs. Heads RHS LA-X heads prepped by Brian. Machining - align hone, square deck, bore/plate hone bores, enlarge main feeds, deburr valley, add drain backs to valley. Re-do rods to full floating w/ARP botls. Competition internal balance. After machining, parts, and assembly I think the short plus rockers will run $4K, and the heads are $1300 plus shipping so the total is $5300. This would be a pump gas (90-93octane), 10:1 static, 8.3ish:1 dynamic engine that should make a little beyond the 400 figure and last.
Add stroker 4" kit w/K1 Ibeams and forged crank, dished SRP pistons. Same machining but pistons proud of deck .005" and lifter bores bushed. Felpro Perf gaskets, cam would be solid roller (Comp XR274R). Edelbrock RPMs(LA) with standard gasket match/blend. Springs to match cam (under 400lbs over the nose). Same oiling system mods and parts. RPM Airgap, Holley HP950 carb. This one will make the 500hp level on pump unleaded (87-93) with 10.7:1 static and dynamic in the 8.4:1 area. Plus, you're head milling, porting, and cam away from another 80-100hp and another 500 rpm on the straights. Obviously better parts and extra labor hence the extra $2200 in initial cost.
A $2200 shortblock and Brian's $1300 LA-X heads would consist of a 360, redone w/KB hypers, stock main bolts, external balanced re-using the dampener and all factory tinwork/oiling system, 273 rockers, solid flat tappet cam, no tensioner, summit std timing set. Basically what it needs to rebuild it but nothing flashy. It would also make 400+hp but I don't think it would be a long term reliable engine for the track for the same reasons the engine he's got is... It's just not built for a better driver that he is trying to be.

With $3,500 i think i would find a complete 360 and build that, the stock cast crank is stronger than any aftermarket 4" cast crank, you would have close to a grand in a good forged 4" or 4.125" crank after a balance job. just a .030 360 with maybe a set of rhs heads CR around 10 to 1, rpm airgap, 750dp, and a nice small solid ft maybe around 240 @.050. will get you around 425 HP

-
Back